Another newbie. Power steering question

Hey everyone, I'm hoping for some help. I did a search but didn't find any direct answers.

I own an SV21 Camry which has been in the family since 94 (car is a 90) and have regularly been feeding money into it the last couple of years (alternator, front shocks, water pump and head crack, radiator hoses, brake pads, as well as all the other maintenance stuff....). Just put 2 new tyres on it 4 months ago too.

A couple of weeks ago it had another oil leak in the rocker cover, as well as a miss fire. I got the mechanic to fix the oil leak and I changed the spark leads and distributor cap for yet another $330.

Drove the thing home and sure enough there's a puddle of power steering fluid under the car. Looks like the supply hose to the pump has got a major leak or the pumps gone, or both. (Not too happy with the guy. Asked if everything looked good before I decided to feed more money into it!)

The rego runs out in May when I think I'll buy a new car. Just wondering what the best thing is to do in the mean time. It's a shame, the car runs beautifully but it's always a gamble whats going to go next. Don't think I'd get much if I tried to sell it since the exterior isn't real pretty with paint in bad nick and 230,000 on the clock. I could have bought a decent car by now with all the dosh I've blown on fixing it!

I'm thinking I could try to plug the pump and disconnect the belt. Otherwise I'd have to waste money on fixing the hose and the pump. Got a quote from the chump and said he'd charge $625.

Any ideas would be great, thanks guys.