How to install pod filter!

i just bought a pod filter for my 2004 corolla (facelift) and i thought id install it myself, i opened the bonnet then i said to myself 'what do i do now!'.

I looked at the filter that was already there and there were cables runing to it, so i kinda didnt know where to go from there and how to even remove it!

cheers

i just bought a pod filter for my 2004 corolla (facelift) and i thought id install it myself, i opened the bonnet then i said to myself 'what do i do now!'.

I looked at the filter that was already there and there were cables runing to it, so i kinda didnt know where to go from there and how to even remove it!

cheers

• 5 years later...

As someone else has said, you can't really just slap it on the intake due to the MAF sensor.

Unfortunately, the tuning support for the Sportivo doesn't appear to be very strong at all so finding a Cold Air Intake kit in Australia is near impossible unless you want to pay big bucks. It seems the only place to get one for a semi-decent price at the moment is the States. So the model over there is the Matrix XRS, but i'm not sure how well things line up in our Rollas when it comes to the install. I got a quote from CES racing (Jan 2014) up in QLD for a CAI to my door in Melb and it was bang on AUD $600. Insane.

I've been trawling around for a Simota CAI (part no. SIM-AN1CA-53) but can't seem to find one in Australia. I did get a quote of AUD $169 for the item from the Simota supplier, Australian Auto Accessories in Nunawading, but they are completely out of stock with an unknown date of getting more. Don't be tempted to buy the Simota kit that Vic Performance Parts has listed on ebay also because they are definitely out of stock as they just issued me with a refund.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Simota-Cold-Air-Inductiuon-Kit-to-suit-TOYOTA-COROLLA-ALTIS-1-8L-01-04-POLISHED-/330743008376?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d01d1cc78&_uhb=1

I brought one from EBay.com and sent from USA within 10 days for $150 Aussie dollars and fitted to my 05 Corolla Sportivo without a problem

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TLN-Toyota-Corolla-03-04-Matrix-02-05-XR-Cold-Air-Intake-Filter-Polish-/200841723428?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec3197e24&vxp=mtr

Yeeah I wasnt really wanting power gains, just liked the sound of a pod filter so I guess ill just have to leave it all standard :/

Well your situation is easy. Do what I did and buy the K&N 33-2252 panel filter for your stock airbox and remove the factory snorkel. It makes a little more noise if you are using a genuine Denso filter. The Denso filters are very dense. I can't say I have noticed any power gains at all from this though. If you want to go FULL GHETTO intake for noise, rubber band or cable tie the filter in place on the top part of the airbox and tilt it away from the bottom part which is bolted in. That's getting pretty desperate, but i've seen it done on youtube. The K&N panel filter is $60+ not including shipping.

brendon08, nice. Any problems at all with the seller or install?

Edited by Break the Chain