Snow chains

Tonester

Hi all....I am a prospective Kluger buyer (very close now :) )

Recently the RTA proposed a change in the legislation mandating 4WD/AWDs to carry (and fit if directed) snow chains during extreme winter weather events in certain parts of the KNP.

I know that the AWD models have a snow/ice traction control function , but try telling that to the RTA. I suppose that even 4WDs are not immune to risks of black ice and snow covered roads. Chains, apparently will only be required to be fitted onto 4WD/AWDs when the weather is "extreme" (whatever that means).

My daughter trains and races down there during winter weekends so we will have no option but to fork out a couple of hundred dollars for chains, even though they are VERY unlikely to be used.

So my question is are there any known issues with fitting chains to the Kluger AWDs?? And...what brand/type of chain would you recommend??

Cheers

• 2 months later...
Hi all....I am a prospective Kluger buyer (very close now :) )

Recently the RTA proposed a change in the legislation mandating 4WD/AWDs to carry (and fit if directed) snow chains during extreme winter weather events in certain parts of the KNP.

I know that the AWD models have a snow/ice traction control function , but try telling that to the RTA. I suppose that even 4WDs are not immune to risks of black ice and snow covered roads. Chains, apparently will only be required to be fitted onto 4WD/AWDs when the weather is "extreme" (whatever that means).

My daughter trains and races down there during winter weekends so we will have no option but to fork out a couple of hundred dollars for chains, even though they are VERY unlikely to be used.

So my question is are there any known issues with fitting chains to the Kluger AWDs?? And...what brand/type of chain would you recommend??

Cheers

I'm up in the U.S.A near Chicago and you'll find a lot of info on chains (especially from people who use them every day in the ski areas) and other items on the ToyotaNation forum at

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/forumdis...rune=&f=122

Here's my own info on the chain issue.

CHAINS FOR '08 HIGHLANDER, 2 WHEEL DRIVE

Below is a site I used to figure out what chains to get for my '08 Highlander with 17" tires.

Dueler H/L 400 #P 245/65 R 17 105 S

http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20Pages/Trac_home.html

Wound up checking around and found a set at PepBoys for $100, made by SCC Security Chain Company (China) Super Z LT, for Pickups and SUV's. The stock number was ZT735

Kept a set around for 30 years and only used them twice when I got caught out on an Interstate by blizzards. Not easy to put on in a storm, but the car ran like a tank once they were on. My view on driving is a takeoff on a view a flight instructor once mentioned to me regarding flying. "It's always better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than to be flying wishing you were on the ground." And then there's Chuck Yeager's "There are old pilolts and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots."

Sooooo, in the Midwest if it's so bad out you need chains, don't go out. Or wait till the storm is gone. If you buy the chains be sure to practice putting them on a few times on a warm day so you get a feel for how to do without the stress of really bad conditions. It's a pretty good system and in my book not hard to do. Good luck.

I know that the AWD models have a snow/ice traction control function , but try telling that to the RTA. I suppose that even 4WDs are not immune to risks of black ice and snow covered roads.

AWD and the snow button won't help much if you hit ice. You really need snow tires or chains in if there is ice on the road. If you live in an area where you may encounter icy conditions then I'd say you should definately buy snow tires or chains.

I had a little trouble last year getting chains as the Kluger 19 inch wheels were a new size to Oz and were not listed on the chain sizing charts

Ended up trying a few sizes on and had the importer advise the correct size

I got Konig T2 Magic - size 255 and they fit easily with no problems on the front wheels (the size chart has probably been updated by now)

It all depends on the weather - I only had to fit chains on a 2WD once in the previous 5 years and last season I had to fit chains twice to the kluger (and had 2 other occasions when 2WD were fitting chains but AWD didn't need to)

Don't know about other brands etc - Konig are expensive - around $430 if I remember correctly - but they go on easy and self tension as you drive - so no need to stop and tighten up after 100 Meters or so.