Nav system Info

scotte

Hi all, I just got a Prado and figured that I'd like to do more with the SatNav. This is what I've discovered thus far:

The Sat Nav is made by Denso. It outputs bog standard VGA using RGB (just like your computer) the Touch screen sends button and touch scrren signals to it via the AVC-LAN (no details yet). There is no way to get the raw GPS data from the unit (without cracking it open).

The display unit is made by Fujitsu Ten (owned by Toyota, DENSO et al). It accepts the VGA signals, supports a bogg standard Toyota audio system connector and is able to take NTSC coposite vidio in. It appears to us the Reverse sensor (probably not fitted) to turn the camera on and change the screen to display it - regardless of what's going on with the NAV.

The map data on the DVD is in a format called KIWI, although fully specified very little else on the Net about it (http://kiwi-w.mapmaster.co.jp/index_eng.html).

So it looks like it should be easy enough to put a reversing camera in or set the system up for an alternate video input. Getting access to any GPS data will be a different story. Putting a different MAP DVD in is going to be a real challenge too - however, I'm going to see if I can understand the spec enough to read the DVD I've got and then try and make a custom map.

Thoughts, comments or extra info?

No20_Pin_Connection_Diagram_08600_00969_November_30_2001.doc

yeah, great info.

i've been looking to put in a dvd input and reversing cam on my satnav unit for a while now but i have got quotes of $700 to convert the input on the unit to a normal rca input so you can plug in your playstation, dvd player etc.....

let us know how you go....

i've got a spare satnav dvd rom fot the toyota satnav headunit if anyone is interested......

Had my Sat nav checked out at the dealer yesterday. I found out that to get into the DIAGNOSTIC MODE, do the following:

1. Put your ignition key in "ACC" position

2. Turn your headlights to the OFF position if you have them on AUTO.

3. The Nav should display the Toyota banner and then wait at the disclaimer screen (blah bla bla "I AGREE"). While on this screen, press and hold down the "info" button on the Nav and at the same time flick your head lights on then off three times. Don't do this too quickly.

There you have it - the diagnostic mode!!

• 11 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, I have managed to get NTSC video on my SatNav whilst driving the car by tapping into the camera input and supplying 12v to the reverse sensor.

I have a switch setup so I can force the camera on, set to normal operation (camera on only when car in reverse) or force NTSC composite video input.

I setup a relay so that even if I am using the video input and put the car into reverse it will automatically cut over to the camera.

It's a sweet setup to have the SatNav display whatever I like (as Output Zone 1) coupled with my 2 x 8" 16:9 sunvisor screens (Output Zone 2) and 2 x 7" 16:9 headrest screens (Output Zone 3) so a total of 5 LCDs with the ability to select from three input sources such as Xbox (DVD movies, MP3 music, Photo Album & Games stored on a 250GB Hard Disk) as Input 1, iPod Video 60GB (MP4 videos, MP3 music, Photo Album) as Input 2 and Sony PSP (modified with PSP2TV kit for Games, MP3 music, MP4 videos and Photo Album) as Input 3.

I have an IR eye mounted above the rear view mirror to control what Zone is using what input and have also modified the Xbox with an Infra-Red Kit and trained it to use my remote control to turn on/off the console. No need for any CD/DVD discs in this ride. Wireless 2.4Ghz Xbox controllers make the setup wire free.

The possibilities are mind boggling and have taken a month of hardwork to make it all happen but anyone that sees the system is amazed at how nice it all came together, my wife's Prado is now a mobile media centre.

Next task is to install one of these LCD displays http://www.xecuter.com.au/product_info.php...&products_id=57 into the dashboard so we don't even need to turn the LCD screens on to control the music we are streaming from the Xbox.

Only disappointing thing is I can't remove the "Check surroundings for safety" text from the SatNav screen, but at least it is only visible in the crop bars of a DVD movie.

All this and can you believe it's the wife's car!!!!!!!!!!

• 10 months later...

hey im a newbie... i got a 2003 landcruiser sahara and would like to know more about the navigation system particuly about video inputs. I know this question has been asked before in this club, though never has it been answered 100%.

All i want to do is 1) use the screen to watch dvd movies and 2) also add a reverse camera to it.

ive read earlier that it has VGA inputs and so on but how do i get it to play dvd and would the nav unit also be playing the sound of the dvd as well?

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Toyota SatNav ... Does anyone know if there is a way to

1) Turn off the "I agree" sign permanently

2) Change the system so that it takes input when you are moving

I think we're stuck with the 'I agree' rubbish. Blame lawyers for that I guess.

In the factory systems, there is a speed sensor input to the unit, so that it knows when it is moving. I wonder what would happen if you disconnected it?

hey im a newbie... i got a 2003 landcruiser sahara and would like to know more about the navigation system particuly about video inputs. I know this question has been asked before in this club, though never has it been answered 100%.

All i want to do is 1) use the screen to watch dvd movies and 2) also add a reverse camera to it.

ive read earlier that it has VGA inputs and so on but how do i get it to play dvd and would the nav unit also be playing the sound of the dvd as well?

Reversing camera is easy. The Eclipse unit (made by the Denso/Fujitsu 10) works perfectly.

• 2 months later...

Hi scotte,

Too much time from this post, but I just read it and found that your link don't links to nothing now :blink: could you refresh the file?

Do you know anything new, from then, about watch video in the SatNav screen?

Thank you,

Pepe

Hi scotte,

Too much time from this post, but I just read it and found that your link don't links to nothing now :blink: could you refresh the file?

Do you know anything new, from then, about watch video in the SatNav screen?

Thank you,

Pepe

scotte was last active over 2 years ago so probably best to send him a PM for what you're after :)

• 2 months later...
Had my Sat nav checked out at the dealer yesterday. I found out that to get into the DIAGNOSTIC MODE, do the following:

3. The Nav should display the Toyota banner and then wait at the disclaimer screen (blah bla bla "I AGREE"). While on this screen, press and hold down the "info" button on the Nav and at the same time flick your head lights on then off three times. Don't do this too quickly.

Bigdenis

what was the reason for having the sat nav checked out?

I had alook at the diagnostic mode you had mentioned and came across a section called reversing camera. I have been trying to find out if i can connect a reversing camera to the system and utiliese the screen for vision but the toyota dealer could not help - any ideas?

<_<

• 1 month later...

Bigdenis

what was the reason for having the sat nav checked out?

I had alook at the diagnostic mode you had mentioned and came across a section called reversing camera. I have been trying to find out if i can connect a reversing camera to the system and utiliese the screen for vision but the toyota dealer could not help - any ideas?

<_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Geday, I am a new member & this is my first time posting - hopefully it works?

I have a new Rav4 V6 & was looking for help with the following topics regarding the Sat Nav system ;

1. Any further word on disabling the "I AGREE" from the startup screen ?

2. Changing the settings so that the system can be used whilst moving. I have already tried by disconnecting the blue speed sensing wire. This worked but only for a few hundred metres until the vehicle picked up a new satellite position. Have spoken to engineers at Fujitsu Ten regarding this & they assure me that it can be done but they are unsure exactly how.

3. I have an iPod Nano 3rd gen with built-in video screen. Can this be connected to the Rav so that the video images are displayed on the nav screen. When I connect it via the factory audio port only music is heard with no image at all. I believe I can get an audio + VISUAL (AV) cable to fit the iPod but am unsure how to connect this to the back of the nav unit.

I work for a Toyota dealership in Sydney & also have a few contacts at Fujitsu Ten in Melbourne.

Any help with this stuff would be greatly appreciated !!

Hey all, I have managed to get NTSC video on my SatNav whilst driving the car by tapping into the camera input and supplying 12v to the reverse sensor.

I have a switch setup so I can force the camera on, set to normal operation (camera on only when car in reverse) or force NTSC composite video input.

I setup a relay so that even if I am using the video input and put the car into reverse it will automatically cut over to the camera.

It's a sweet setup to have the SatNav display whatever I like (as Output Zone 1) coupled with my 2 x 8" 16:9 sunvisor screens (Output Zone 2) and 2 x 7" 16:9 headrest screens (Output Zone 3) so a total of 5 LCDs with the ability to select from three input sources such as Xbox (DVD movies, MP3 music, Photo Album & Games stored on a 250GB Hard Disk) as Input 1, iPod Video 60GB (MP4 videos, MP3 music, Photo Album) as Input 2 and Sony PSP (modified with PSP2TV kit for Games, MP3 music, MP4 videos and Photo Album) as Input 3.

I have an IR eye mounted above the rear view mirror to control what Zone is using what input and have also modified the Xbox with an Infra-Red Kit and trained it to use my remote control to turn on/off the console. No need for any CD/DVD discs in this ride. Wireless 2.4Ghz Xbox controllers make the setup wire free.

The possibilities are mind boggling and have taken a month of hardwork to make it all happen but anyone that sees the system is amazed at how nice it all came together, my wife's Prado is now a mobile media centre.

Next task is to install one of these LCD displays http://www.xecuter.com.au/product_info.php...;products_id=57 into the dashboard so we don't even need to turn the LCD screens on to control the music we are streaming from the Xbox.

Only disappointing thing is I can't remove the "Check surroundings for safety" text from the SatNav screen, but at least it is only visible in the crop bars of a DVD movie.

Re: Toyota SatNav ... Does anyone know if there is a way to

1) Turn off the "I agree" sign permanently

2) Change the system so that it takes input when you are moving

I think we're stuck with the 'I agree' rubbish. Blame lawyers for that I guess.

In the factory systems, there is a speed sensor input to the unit, so that it knows when it is moving. I wonder what would happen if you disconnected it?

Reversing camera is easy. The Eclipse unit (made by the Denso/Fujitsu 10) works perfectly.

Hi guys - my first post also. I want to put a reversing camera on my Prado Grande. From what you guys are saying, I have to go into the diagnostics and tell the unit it has a camera attached and then plug the camera into the VGA jacks. Is this correct? I don't want to use it as a DVD player, just a camera in reverse.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new Rav4 V6 & was looking for help with the following topics regarding the Sat Nav system ;

2. Changing the settings so that the system can be used whilst moving. I have already tried by disconnecting the blue speed sensing wire. This worked but only for a few hundred metres until the vehicle picked up a new satellite position. Have spoken to engineers at Fujitsu Ten regarding this & they assure me that it can be done but they are unsure exactly how.

3. I have an iPod Nano 3rd gen with built-in video screen. Can this be connected to the Rav so that the video images are displayed on the nav screen. When I connect it via the factory audio port only music is heard with no image at all. I believe I can get an audio + VISUAL (AV) cable to fit the iPod but am unsure how to connect this to the back of the nav unit.

I work for a Toyota dealership in Sydney & also have a few contacts at Fujitsu Ten in Melbourne.

Next task is to install one of these LCD displays http://www.xecuter.com.au/product_info.php...;products_id=57 into the dashboard so we don't even need to turn the LCD screens on to control the music we are streaming from the Xbox.

I have a 26028 Toyota 2007 model GPS it has a blue plug for AUX input it uses 4 wiers Red Black Green White the standard plug that fits in to AUX input to cd player ect uses 3 wiers red green white I read another foram that said a risister controls the AUX input on the black wire by changing this ristanced it can accept av input NTSC with no sorounding screen ther is a hand brack conection with the ACC and revers wiers that if it is erthed the csr is stasonery and the AV input can be used I have not don it yet but I am going to asume theAUX use a comon vechle erth and one wire L 1 wire r 1 wier is AV tip. i will let you know how I go.

Lex

• 2 weeks later...

Your are able to weir AV NTSC in to the AUX Blue plug pin one ia AV tip and common ground the Pin 6 is the Aux Audio or video if you connect pin 4 to 6 the video input is enabled throw AUX .

R16 Blue near Ant

1 AV tip

4 Common

4 to 6 Video on

2 Right

3 left

5 Audio common

Red white wire hand brake sensor connect to and DVD will work all the time disconnect and Audio only can us Ipod or Mp3 player is a bit low volume inpout and some time have to up audio ma need amp.

I have a photos i will put it all together

Has any one go Voice command to work I can voice dial but not control system

• 1 month later...

I have a 2005 Camry Azura and would like to install a reversing camera (maybe two?) and I am encouraged to see here, that it just might be possible to use the existing Sat Nav screen to display camera output, despite previous advice to the contrary.

I did the Diagnostic test mentioned in this forum and can see an option for testing the camera but it is grayed out. Maybe that is because I don't have a camera installed!?

Anyway, I want to pursue this and see if I can get this thing working, but I am not a good enough techie to want to attempt it on my own. I am happy to pay for the job and wonder if anyone here could recommend an auto electrician or other appropriate "expert" that could do this installation for me? I live on the NSW (Australia) Central Coast but don't mind travelling to Sydney or Newcastle if there is nobody here on the Central Coast.

I am towing a small caravan and would like to be able to see the towball when trying to hitch the van (I figured a camera is cheaper than a divorce) and also want a camera on the rear of the van. Does anybody have any recommendations for suitable cameras?

1. There is a product I've used (I do not recommend them) that presses this I agree for you after 5 seconds of it being switched on. It's an iPod adaptor to play iPods that plugs in at the back but a fairly poor one at that. It works but it's slow as.

2. You'll need to make a switch to disable the speed signal and navigation antenna for it to operate when the vehicle is in motion. (This is the "tweak" that auto electricians use and charge $400 for.) So it means whilst you're fumbling on the navi, the navi system won't actually work until you turn them back on again.

3. You're not suppose to view anything non navi/audio on the screen when in motion. Don't do it as it will increase greatly the risk of accidents and easily get done by the cops too because the screen is so obvious to the outside world. I know it's tempting but even fumbling at the navi itself has almost gotten me into bother. Plus anyone watching it in motion will get motion sickness real quick.

tumbi, you won't be able to do 2 camera inputs but any camera will do. As long as it has the right Toyota camera plug. Eclipse make a camera that apparently is OK but even then, they aren't that great of the ones I've seen in the market.