2ZR-FE pushing 150whp with bolt ons

CASTREX

This was originally posted by Richard Holdener (DYNATEK) as result from the research he is doing on B-Segment cars for his next book.

The subject car was a Scion xD

The original base line run for this car completely stock showed 119 whp. Now at 148 whp we are talking about a total increase of power to the wheels of 24% Impressive for bolt on parts. The only bolt on part missing here is the NST U-drive pulley which should bump the final output to over 150 whp

Richard Holdener wrote:

Here are the dyno results of the new long-tube header for the 1.8L Yaris TS and Scion xD (possibly other apps as well).

Equipped with just a home-made air intake, the otherwise stock Xd produced 123 wheel hp and 121 ft-lb of torque.

Equipped with the long-tube headers and 2.5-inch mid pipe (2.25 would work equally well) and no axle back, the motor produced 134 wheel hp and 134 ft-lb of torque.

At just 3000 rpm, the header and mid pipe offered an additional 15 ft-lb of torque.

Next we installed the prototype of the Xd intake manifold. The peak power numbers jumped to 148 hp and 137 ft-lb of torque.

At 6000 rpm, the intake offered gains of 16 hp.

It appears from this testing that if we add an NST u-pulley and receive the same results as we did on the 1.5L Yaris motor, the 1.8L can produce a real 150 wheel hp (possibly more if it reponds favorably to the FIC).

BTW-We already made 151 wheel hp with a version of the intake that won't be offered for sale-it adds a bit more peak power but sacrafices too much elsewhere)

XdhdrIntakelatestdyno.jpg

post-10707-1229357560_thumb.jpg

but you cant use it on the road! no axle back! pointless figures <_<

kind of missing the point....

These numbers were obtained as part of a research this guy is doing.

Is just a matter of installing a cat converter and a free flow axleback and you would be street legal.

It would probably sacrifice a few hp to make it street legal. But you could modify it in a way that you can add a mid pipe with a cat and and axleback for the street and just a straight pipe for track usage.

The point here is the great potential behind this new Toyota Engine...! Not every day you can see a 24% power gain just by adding some bolt ons.

I understand this would not be appealing for a lot of people... even more since this is a pretty new car and a lot of folks won't care for modifying it. Yet.

the base run was done with cat and b/box. so there isnt a 24% increase at all. you may loose a few hp by re-fitting a cat and axle back - your having a laugh! if he was confident of the gains he would have done a fair comparision. i find it annoying when people think they can fool you with these sort of comparisions and try boost there figures. its like p&p a head then using uprated springs, retainers and a multi-angle valve job and doing a comparision then claiming the gains came from the p&p alone.

seen a classic recently - the before and after dyno were done in different gears to show there was a gain!

removing the cat and back section is a bolt on :whistling:

another quality US dyno ;) ....... so according to this .... the stock 100kw @ the engine is putting out 88.7kw @ wheels ..... fellas with 1zz care to share what a stock 1zz puts out @ the wheels ?

another quality US dyno ;) ....... so according to this .... the stock 100kw @ the engine is putting out 88.7kw @ wheels ..... fellas with 1zz care to share what a stock 1zz puts out @ the wheels ?

What kind of times puts a stockish sportivo normally on the 1/4 mile?

I ask because I ran against one a couple of weeks ago with my Yaris TS and I beat the sportivo both times. The only mod on the sportivo was a K&N CAI. But I don't know if it was because my car was faster or because the sportivo was poorly driven.

My Yaris weights 2450lbs and only with a CAI I managed to pull a 15.8 sec 1/4 mile @ 86mph

What do you think?

• 3 months later...

What kind of times puts a stockish sportivo normally on the 1/4 mile?

I ask because I ran against one a couple of weeks ago with my Yaris TS and I beat the sportivo both times. The only mod on the sportivo was a K&N CAI. But I don't know if it was because my car was faster or because the sportivo was poorly driven.

My Yaris weights 2450lbs and only with a CAI I managed to pull a 15.8 sec 1/4 mile @ 86mph

What do you think?

woah my friend wanted to see what my car could do lolz so he tested it and he got 15.76 sec 1/4mile @ 152km/h(94mph) with a CAI and also a few things taken out :P... yeah also depends on the driver :) imo sportivo would get high 14s and low 15s.