toyota valvematic

Nothing really special there, BMW have had it on some of their non-performance engines for the last 7 years...

i guess that also goes for all the rage about vsc and abs. mercedes had abs in the 1970s and vsc in the early 90s

more so exciting for the availability of the technology finally being in cars the majority of people can afford

Nothing really special there, BMW have had it on some of their non-performance engines for the last 7 years...

i guess that also goes for all the rage about vsc and abs. mercedes had abs in the 1970s and vsc in the early 90s

more so exciting for the availability of the technology finally being in cars the majority of people can afford

Ironically, the first BMW car that came out with Valvetronic was the 316ti Compact, one of BMW's cheapest ever cars, and roughly the same price as a Holden Berlina (well within the affordable range for an average middle-upper class family).

TMCA will be replacing all VVT-i engines in all vehicles with Valvematic engines over the next couple of years, by 2011 or 2012 the process should be complete. 2 litres plus for the Corolla please TMCA!!!

Edited by pinzvidz

Ironically, the first BMW car that came out with Valvetronic was the 316ti Compact, one of BMW's cheapest ever cars, and roughly the same price as a Holden Berlina (well within the affordable range for an average middle-upper class family).

but that's comparing a large 4dr sedan with a little 2dr buzz box. how many familys with kids buy a 2dr bmw as the family car?

i certainly wouldnt get a 2dr bmw over a large car just for the way the cams work

but that's comparing a large 4dr sedan with a little 2dr buzz box. how many familys with kids buy a 2dr bmw as the family car?

i certainly wouldnt get a 2dr bmw over a large car just for the way the cams work

I wasn't using it as a comparison of the cars, merely the fact that what is being touted as the latest greatest thing was brought out 7 years ago in the cheapest, smallest car a certain company makes (albeit a $40,000 car). With things like ABS, cruise control, airbags etc when they came out they tended to only be in the more expensive, larger models (like S-class Mercs). Valvetronic was also quickly applied to most of BMW's non-sporting models (it makes the valvetrain quite heavy, and inertia is a terrible thing for revs and response). Once again, features being displayed in the smallest, cheapest of a range before becoming widespread. It'd be like Holden inventing a new drivetrain feature and debutting it in a Barina, before releasing it across the Astra and Commodore ranges etc, as opposed to originaly debutting it in a Senator or Calais or the like.

the 316 were half the size of the berlina, two diff class of vehicle.. i bet you couldnt fit 3 golfbags in the back of the beamer?

the 316 were half the size of the berlina, two diff class of vehicle.. i bet you couldnt fit 3 golfbags in the back of the beamer?

If you read what I posted above, you'll notice that I'm disregarding the physical comparison between the vehicles. It's irrelevant. The same engine was used in later, larger 3-series sedans anyway. What I am saying is that BMW released an engine in a car that had a new technology feature 7 years ago (that some car companies are only introducing now, yet still claiming it as "new"), and the car wasn't a top-of-the-line luxo barge that costs half the earth, from a company that DOES build top-of-the-line luxo barges costing half the earth. The comparison to the Berlina was to put the price in context with a car that most of us could relate to.

For a company that builds cars primarily in the $60-150,000 range, a $40,000 car is bargain-basement, and for it to debut something as radical as Valvetronic is my main point.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Hiro isn't trying to draw any lines between Toyota and BMW. What he is trying to say is that it is odd that BMW's new and great technology that is the valve timing system debut on their base model car. It's like Mercedes putting ABS, EBC, air bags and etcetera on the C Class before the S Class.

Hiro isn't trying to draw any lines between Toyota and BMW. What he is trying to say is that it is odd that BMW's new and great technology that is the valve timing system debut on their base model car. It's like Mercedes putting ABS, EBC, air bags and etcetera on the C Class before the S Class.

Exactly. Sometimes you have to wonder if people even read posts properly.....