Anyone been 4x4 in their kluger?

Blackkluger

How boggy you are taking about. But I guess you have to drive with lower tyre pressure and turn it off to get up some dusty 15 degree hills.

For rocky surface it does extremely well. As long as it is not muddy, I guess Kluger has the power and suspension to conquer most terrain.

The tyre is the limit. If there is a Cooper that fits Kluger, I will go anywhere with it.

Stop abusing your Kluger. Do not take it off road.

"Do not drive the vehicle off-road.

This is not a 4WD/AWD vehicle designed for real off-road driving. Proceed with all due caution if it becomes unavoidable to drive off-road."

(Kluger Owner's Manual, p131).

Another funny quote from the manual,

*Do not under any circumstances shift the shift lever to P, R or N while the vehicle is moving.

Doing so can cause significant damage to the transmission system and may result in a loss of vehicle control.

*Do not shift the shift lever to N while the vehicle is moving.

Doing so may cause the engine brake to not operate properly and lead to an accident

Call me stingy but I have a habit of shifting to neutral when cruising down big hills on highways. It makes a fair difference to economy 'cause the engine resistance is pretty significant and always there unless you shift to neutral. If I need to slow down of course i put it back in D and then maybe even S and shift down. Anyone know if this practice will "significantly damage the transmission"? I'm scared to do it now but there does seem to be a lot of other paranoid advice in the Owner's Manual so I'm not sure which bits to take seriously.

Edited by Colonel

Wrong attitude IMHO

A badly maintained car is real abuse. How you use the car is not a form of abuse. I change engine oil every 5000km on my Kluger, every 2000km in my sports car.

e.g. if you don't put your sports car on the race track and maintain it frequently, you engine will be the first to fail. It is 100% true on the NA rotary in Mazda RX-8. All the other owners tell me, after oil and spark plug change then hit the race track for a few laps. The car comes live and the engine gained some power back again. Also, idle is smoother and car starts the moment you turn the key.

Everytime I change the engine oil and run hard in some nice premium fuel in my Kluger - the car works better and runs smoother. Also the fuel economy improves.

A clean engine is a happy engine. They need to some excercise - just like your dog.

*Do not shift the shift lever to N while the vehicle is moving.

Doing so may cause the engine brake to not operate properly and lead to an accident

I'm scared to do it now but there does seem to be a lot of other paranoid advice in the Owner's Manual so I'm not sure which bits to take seriously.

This is true, you know, it is called compression lock. It does not quite important for front wheel or AWD since sudden ***** in torque - the car just go straight ahead, pushing, understeer. If you have compression lock in a RWD, without DSC/ESP, you will oversteer and get a skid... well it is in fact one of the technique on Drift video that people use to start a drift.

This is true, you know, it is called compression lock. It does not quite important for front wheel or AWD since sudden ***** in torque - the car just go straight ahead, pushing, understeer. If you have compression lock in a RWD, without DSC/ESP, you will oversteer and get a skid... well it is in fact one of the technique on Drift video that people use to start a drift.

I know all about compression lock since I ride a sports bike too. However changing from N to D shouldn't cause a compression lock unless something is seriously wrong with the transmission. Perhaps if you shove it into R or S1 when you're doing 100km/h down the highway.

What I want to know is, if the manual is true in what it says that shifting to N while the car is in motion can damage the transmission. I've already done it a few times and it doesn't seem to mind.

Another Owner's Manual no no that some may be guilty of

When shifting the shift lever

Be careful not to shift the shift lever with the accelerator pedal depressed. This may lead to unexpected rapid acceleration of the vehicle that may cause an accident and result in death or serious injury.

LOL, what's the point of sports shift.

Edited by Colonel

This is not a 4WD/AWD vehicle designed for real off-road driving. Proceed with all due caution if it becomes unavoidable to drive off-road."

Nice FIND

Even Toyota don't like there Hilux's going off road, its like a precaution of all the manufactures Subaru as well!! Ask them all about river crossings they will say not recommended or suggested.....the don't want risk... which is what we face when we hop in the car and go to work every day!

I would not do what you do with your gear box all the time as its under load as soon as you start moving putting it back in and matching revs etc would be worst for it.... Others may want to elaborate a bit more. I use to do the same type of thing with manuals and not use the clutch coasting etc its a killer on the selector..

Edited by PC XT

Wrong attitude IMHO

A badly maintained car is real abuse. How you use the car is not a form of abuse. I change engine oil every 5000km on my Kluger, every 2000km in my sports car.

e.g. if you don't put your sports car on the race track and maintain it frequently, you engine will be the first to fail. It is 100% true on the NA rotary in Mazda RX-8. All the other owners tell me, after oil and spark plug change then hit the race track for a few laps. The car comes live and the engine gained some power back again. Also, idle is smoother and car starts the moment you turn the key.

Every time I change the engine oil and run hard in some nice premium fuel in my Kluger - the car works better and runs smoother. Also the fuel economy improves.

A clean engine is a happy engine. They need to some exercise - just like your dog.

Agree with all points :) except the dog bit mine is small and old and getting lazier there are exceptions to every rule..

I would not do what you do with your gear box all the time as its under load as soon as you start moving putting it back in and matching revs etc would be worst for it.... Others may want to elaborate a bit more. I use to do the same type of thing with manuals and not use the clutch coasting etc its a killer on the selector..

I understand that it obviously wears the gearbox a bit more but "significant damage"? If I'm going fast I usually tap the accelerator before shifting back to D to prevent jolts. Not sure if that helps.

I'd thought this practice would mean I'd maybe have to rebuild the transmission at 280,000km instead of 300,000km. How long these boxes supposed to last?

I haven't found out exactly the reason why, but I've seen a few internet articles/opinons to the effect that it's ok to use neutral in a manual but not an Auto. I think I'll stop doing it. Not sure that N can be used for anything.

Nice FIND

Don't let those nuts in the Ford Territory forums see this post.

Edited by Colonel

• 3 years later...

Ah no not Melbourne! :(

NSW Yes :D

These photos were taken last month at Harrington, You could have taken a 2WD on the first 5Km of beach after that the sand got softer and deeper as you can tell by THE NEW SAND SIDE WALLS TIRES.

How was the Kluger in soft sand? Any problems? Tips?

I understand that it obviously wears the gearbox a bit more but "significant damage"? If I'm going fast I usually tap the accelerator before shifting back to D to prevent jolts. Not sure if that helps.

I'd thought this practice would mean I'd maybe have to rebuild the transmission at 280,000km instead of 300,000km. How long these boxes supposed to last?

I haven't found out exactly the reason why, but I've seen a few internet articles/opinons to the effect that it's ok to use neutral in a manual but not an Auto. I think I'll stop doing it. Not sure that N can be used for anything.

I think neutral is used to towing vehicles. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

But yeah, I have heard you shouldn't shift into neutral if the car is in motion due to stresses on the transmission, also because you don't have full control over the vehicle.

Can anyone explain when you would use the sports shift? I haven't used it yet, besies being a good marketing tool, what is the point of it?

Matt