HID and fuse question

L.M.F.

I bought a Kaixen HID kit for my corolla and the instruction said it needs to change the headlight fuse (10amp for my corolla) to 20amp.

my question is do I have to change the fuse from 10amp to 20amp if I had a relay kit to install with the HID kit?

If you're drawing power directly from the battery and only using the existing headlight wiring as a trigger for the HID's, then you do not need to change the original headlight fuse. The main power line has to be fused as close to the battery as possible with a 20A fuse, however.

Like the_random_hero said above, if you are using the relay, there is no need to change the standard fuse in the fuse box.

On a side note, if you are installing HID's and running them off the stock wiring and there is already a 10-15A fuse in the fuse box, DO NOT put a higher rated fuse such as 20A. The end result of this is that should anything mess up, your stock wiring will most likely become the fuse.

With respect to the HID's, they do draw a higher current at start, but auto fuses are generally slow burning. The in-rush current will be for that brief of a period that a 10A fuse would be okay, even if the kit draws up to 15-18A in that peak period.