Reducing Number Plate Rattle Due to subwoofer

Eargunk

I recently had problems when i just installed my subwoofer, when the woofer played music (even at extremely low volume) there will be number plate rattle, a really annoying and constant, quick tapping.

There are 2 ways of solving this problem

1: Using double sided tape or Dynamat

2: Applying more contract to the bumper using screws or rivets

1: using double sided tape: Remove the number plate, any places that show scratching, friction or abrasion are target areas of and double sided tape should be placed in these areas to reduce the contract. When placing the number plate back on, make sure that the tape is in contact with the plate and screw on.

Dynamat: Cut out the shape of the number plate on a piece of dynamat (any type would be fine), remove the cover of one side and either place it on the back of the plate and force on with the roller or attach it to the bumper and screw on the plate.

2: When i got my car, the screws were only placed in the middle of the plate just enough to hold the plate still, with the use of poprivets (if you intent to keep the same plate for a long time) attach it on the four corners on the plate onto the bumper (use a marker to mark the holes on the plate, remove the plate and drill small enough holes so the rivet fits snug, size of holes vary depending on rivets used), the rivents maybe replaced with screws but over time the thread wears out.

I personally tried putting on a number plate cover but just made it worse in my opinion (more plastic to shake) and also using a wedge (used both branches and a "custom" made plane) which would eventually fall off as you drive. The use of a sponge is also a bad idea as it deteriorates over time.

Just a quick tip to save time from experimenting like i did.

Yeah, double sided tape seems to do the trick in most cases. For my last car, I had some adhesive rubber weather stripping. That solved my problem as well. On my Aurion, my personalised plate has a backing plate of 1-1.5mm thick steel, plus the plate weights like 1kg with it all put together. Never had a rattling issue with that. Hehehe.