replacement rubber for Kluger 19 inch wheels

kwach10

Chaps, on this issue of treadwear I'm happy to be corrected, but I was under the impression that the higher the no. the harder the compound.

No necessarily true! Toyos have much deeper thread (10 mm) and the compound is probably more resistant to wear too - simply better technology! See the pdf doc in my previous post.

Friend who put Coopers on Renault 4wd is very impressed with them - rated 740.

I don't know if I would want harder compound tyres, but I certainly understand where others who need tyre replacement in 15K-20K are coming from. I'm a little fortunate I guess in that we do less than 10K a year. Having said that I had a close look over the weekend and there's probably only another 10K or so left on them, although they do seem to be wearing quite evenly.

Well, if we got 19" tyres that were the same compound as the KX-R's 17" tyres that should give us the same grip as the KX-R but longer lasting tyres than the KX-R since we have 2 inches more rubber. It seems Toyota perhaps just put 19" tyres on the upper model Klugers simply 'cause that's the fashion these days. 17" may suit the car better.

Was this supposed to be a joke? You do realise the extra 2" is the wheel diameter and has nothing to do with the tread?

I think that too many people put a disproportionate amount of emphasis on the price and life of tyres and not enough on grip. It doesn't matter what driving aids you have(ESP,ABS,etc.), if the tyres don't have sufficient grip, you can't turn, stop, etc.

I have always bought the best tyres I could afford for every car I have had for the last 25 years, and for my wifes cars for as long as I have known her.

The OEM 19" tyres on the Kluger aren't bad, but I will buy better when they need replacing.

The OEM 17" tyres are not good at all and I may not wait until they are worn until I get something better. I will change them when we start getting some rain.

The difference in quality of the tyres you buy can literally be the difference between life and death for you and your families.

Well, if we got 19" tyres that were the same compound as the KX-R's 17" tyres that should give us the same grip as the KX-R but longer lasting tyres than the KX-R since we have 2 inches more rubber. It seems Toyota perhaps just put 19" tyres on the upper model Klugers simply 'cause that's the fashion these days. 17" may suit the car better.

Was this supposed to be a joke? You do realise the extra 2" is the wheel diameter and has nothing to do with the tread?

I think that too many people put a disproportionate amount of emphasis on the price and life of tyres and not enough on grip. It doesn't matter what driving aids you have(ESP,ABS,etc.), if the tyres don't have sufficient grip, you can't turn, stop, etc.

I have always bought the best tyres I could afford for every car I have had for the last 25 years, and for my wifes cars for as long as I have known her.

The OEM 19" tyres on the Kluger aren't bad, but I will buy better when they need replacing.

The OEM 17" tyres are not good at all and I may not wait until they are worn until I get something better. I will change them when we start getting some rain.

The difference in quality of the tyres you buy can literally be the difference between life and death for you and your families.

Could not agree more - that is why I went for Toyos :D

In addition, they are part off-road capable so gravel and snow - here I go :yahoo:

• 1 month later...

I got quoted for Coopers 20s today from a Bridgestone dealership. Its about $360 per side fitted. For Bridgestone 19s, its freaking $520 per side.. I rather pay the extra for a set of new wheels n tyres rather than pay $520 just for a tyre..

• 1 year later...

Hi Kwach10,

A year or so down the track, are you still happy with your Toyos ? My KX-S has currently done 47k, and my two front OEMs are nearing end of life. I'm looking at replacing with Open Country H/T P245/55R19 103S tyres, assuming Leaseplan approve it (can't see how they wouldn't, given they're exactly the same size). What's the wear been like on your Toyos ?

Cheers, Paul.

Just got another 2 Toyos for the back, and yes, the price has gone up by $20 each :angry:

It gets even better! - soon they are going up again :o

So if you are about to need a change of rubber, better make it soon - as you might not be able to get anything for under $400 per corner :whistling:

I another year or two, price relativity might be different :( (one has to believe in something!)

Your lucky to get 47k from 1 set, the rears on mine have at least another 20k left, but just recently placed fronts new ones and it has done about 6k now and the edges are nearly scrubbed, so in about 1k im going to do a strip and fit, $30 extra for both, and get another 7k out of it, total life 14k if im lucky

Well dont toyota...no it aint an alignment issue, its a manufacturing defect in my opinion.

BTW - these are my 4th set for the fronts, while the rears are originals....go figure..

Have got nearly 70,000 out of my OEM Bridgies.

19 inch, awd grande.

Found if you run them at 39-40 psi and take it easy, but also make sure they are rotated every service they will last.

Even so, at $519 each for the replacement. AM seriously thinking of giving the Toyos a go - $395 each.

I changed to Toyo Open Country and have now done over 10,000km with them. Are they better than the Bridgestone tyres? Very much so I reckon - handling is much the same but the Toyos show much less wear, and almost none of that front-wheel edge scrubbing that was so evident with the Bridgestones. Would I go back to Bridgestone D400's? Never.

Just put 4 new Bridgestones on my AWD Grande 4 wks ago, have done around 3,000 k's on them and they are showing signs of edge scrubbing already. Is there a fix for this problem?

The old Bridgestones were replaced at 36,500k's and had tread in the centre but the edges were bald. Tyres were rotated regularly and wheel alignments done.

Just put 4 new Bridgestones on my AWD Grande 4 wks ago, have done around 3,000 k's on them and they are showing signs of edge scrubbing already. Is there a fix for this problem?

The old Bridgestones were replaced at 36,500k's and had tread in the centre but the edges were bald. Tyres were rotated regularly and wheel alignments done.

If both edges are scrubbing then that could indicate underinflation. What pressure are you running the tyres at?

Only one edge is scrubbing on both the new and the old tyres and I run the tyres at 38 psi, on the previous tyres I found 40 wears the very centre. Had a wheel alignment when the new tyres were fitted 3,000 k's ago.

Only one edge is scrubbing on both the new and the old tyres and I run the tyres at 38 psi, on the previous tyres I found 40 wears the very centre. Had a wheel alignment when the new tyres were fitted 3,000 k's ago.

Cookie, where was the car aligned? and do you have the alignment sheet print out?

have you checked to see if it is within the specs in the user manual?

I've noticed that there have been a couple of mentions of the outer edge of the left tyre having excessive wear. is this a common issue for the Kluger?

Have you guys been off road in the car? or perhaps ran up a kerb before? Any possibility of suspension damage?

I'm just wondering if the static alignment is within spec, is it possible that the suspension is causing excessive toe in during compression caused by a damaged suspension component?

Edited by _kit_

sure here we go

By the way, I have almost new (probably less than 100 km) original Bridgstone tyre from the spare.

I would be happy to part with it for $300, which would give someone an option of a cheap pair of tyres (with their spare) as a replacement for a used pair or a replacement for badly damaged one.

I could drop it off around ACT or in Sydney, or on the way to Melbourne (the coastal route) in the second week of April (after Easter)

These look good. I was wondering what the cabin noise is like though. They look like they wouldn't be the quietest....just wondering.

e

• 3 years later...

Hi All

I am new to this site and was just reading about blackklugers tyre problem. If I may add or suggest an idea, do you have a lot of round abouts near you. If so the constant right hand turning of going around the round about will throw the weight of your car to that side hence increasing wear on the outer shoulder of the left tyre. Just a thought and any comments or other ideas welcome