What sort of motor to put in my ra28 celica??

Sweeney_8874

Depends on what kind of car you want to end up with

Period - 18RG with either twin Solex or EFI (both were factory fitted to GTs)

more modern - 1GGTE, very common and lots of info around about them, easy to get good power out of them too

Cheap but powerful - SR20DET, you'll be looking at some custom work though, but you're saving money by getting a Nissan engine

Even more modern - 1JZGTE, is a tight fit and pretty expensive, but potential for huge amounts of power

Something a bit different - 1UZ V8, v. solid engine with plenty of torque, not an outright powerhouse unless you spend money, base engine getting cheaper. On the downside, a lot of custom work needed for a manual

Something a bit different - 1UZ V8, v. solid engine with plenty of torque, not an outright powerhouse unless you spend money, base engine getting cheaper. On the downside, a lot of custom work needed for a manual

A fair few people have done this conversion, so a lot of information out there now. If you wanted, head on over to Toymods and check out MWP's ride thread - it's got a lot of good information on it.

I wouldn't say a LOT of custom work has to be done - EFI setup, custom mounts, bit of massaging to get the 'box in, and probably some sort of chassis stiffening - nothing that wouldn't happen with most other modern engine conversions.

A fair few people have done this conversion, so a lot of information out there now. If you wanted, head on over to Toymods and check out MWP's ride thread - it's got a lot of good information on it.

I wouldn't say a LOT of custom work has to be done - EFI setup, custom mounts, bit of massaging to get the 'box in, and probably some sort of chassis stiffening - nothing that wouldn't happen with most other modern engine conversions.

I was more referring to the amount of work for the gearbox, since no 1UZ came out with a manual. Look at the amount of effort Ed has had to go through for his W58-1UZ in the UZA80.

I was more referring to the amount of work for the gearbox, since no 1UZ came out with a manual. Look at the amount of effort Ed has had to go through for his W58-1UZ in the UZA80.

All you gotta do is track the parts down, all the hard work has already been done by other people you can copy off ;)

I'm going to do it for the TA.