New Kluger burning smell

Colonel

With the brand new Kluger I took it for a drive up Mt Cootha, Brisbane. I was careful not to go over about 2,000 rpm but I think the brand new transmission didn't like the load going up the hill. When I got out at the top there was a nasty smell (like oil or transmission oil had been burning). I thought maybe it was just some residue of some protective coating on the engine/bay for shipping that was burning off but I also noticed the transmission slipped just a little bit a couple times so that had me thinking maybe it was transmission fluid. Is this normal in a new car? I might take it on another test up the mountain now that it has ~400km on it to see if it fares any better now. Would hate to think I have a dud transmission on a new car.

Edited by Colonel

you get that smell with most new toyotas i think.

my friend also had the new klugers and had the same smell. i have the new corollas and it had that burning smell for 2-3 months and after that it worked perfectly fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah its norm.. i still get a whiff of it.. not as strong as before.. ohh Colonel.. u should come to our TOCAU meetups on Thursdays if you are in the Brisbane vicinity.. Let me know cos I'm the lone Kluger in the group.. haha.. Hope to meet more Kluger owners.. :clap: