I have an unwanted rattle

hi guys

just thought i would ask the question as i dont think it is a normal rattle. when ever i go to take off from stationary, as i let the clutch out there is a rattle coming from up under the front of the car (bottom of engine region).

I have noticed that it doesnt happen when you give more revs then necessary however when not enough it rattles until clutch is fully disengaged. sounds like a thin bit of metal rattling as it is a higher pitched rattle.

Can anyone shed some light on fixing it?

cheers guys

does it make the noice at a specific spot in the rev range? or all the time?

does it do it if the car is stationary?

If you pop the bonnet and slowly build the revs up while your standing in front of the engine, can you pin point where the rattle's coming from?

have you got a good relationship with your mechanic/toyota dealer? ask them to get it on the hoist and you sit in the car and rev the engine or whatever it is you do so that you can hear the rattle and have them assess it.

From my experience... with a rattle... i was told by one place it was hrust bearing, one place tell me it was an input shaft, one mob tell me it was an exhaust leak, one place tell me something loose in the fire wall, till i finally had an opportunity to get it up on the hoist and make the noise, and we found the problem to be a broken resonator.

for peice of mind... get a mechanic to sit in your car, drive around, and ask them for their opinion, then get it up on the hoist and be 100% sure of what it is..... my broken resonator cost me $120 to fix, but a new Thrust bearing could have been a $900 job.... so cross all your t's and dot your i's

you hear it taking off from stationary. revs are low, its like the car is struggling to take off and you can hear it rattle. i think its normal. i know at least another to stivos with the same problem

it only sounds as i realease the clutch and as its 'grabbing. not when im reving. from my experience with it to me it sounds clutch orientated.

also the rattle sounds as though its a thin bit of metal if you can relate to that lol but very noticeable

it only sounds as i realease the clutch and as its 'grabbing. not when im reving. from my experience with it to me it sounds clutch orientated.

also the rattle sounds as though its a thin bit of metal if you can relate to that lol but very noticeable

ok...

so it could be a clutch fork or thrust bearing issue... if you believe its clutch related...

you should try idling the car.. and then move the clutch fork with your hand in the engine bay... see if it makes the noise.

ok...

so it could be a clutch fork or thrust bearing issue... if you believe its clutch related...

you should try idling the car.. and then move the clutch fork with your hand in the engine bay... see if it makes the noise.

alright cheers BKS will get back to you

Parent's Mazda2 had a rattle like this, wouldn't make a squeak when the car was moving in gear and the clutch was engaged (ie foot off the pedal), but when the pedal was pushed in you'd hear it, _BUT_ you couldn't hear it when stationary, for obvious reasons (input shaft to the gearbox doesn't rotate when the car is stationary and clutch engaged)