Grande fog lights to HID?

Cookie

Has anyone changed the Grande fog/driving lights to Hid's?

If so, how much difference did it make, how difficult and where did you mount the ballasts?

Same with the headlights, anyone done it and had any problems? Kluger lights are pretty average stock.

Any details appreciated,

Thanks

Has anyone changed the Grande fog/driving lights to Hid's?

If so, how much difference did it make, how difficult and where did you mount the ballasts?

Same with the headlights, anyone done it and had any problems? Kluger lights are pretty average stock.

Any details appreciated,

Thanks

There is a thread about this on here, I have done the head lights and my spots are HID's as well but not the fog lights.

I have done them all in my forester and I would do it again its that good, no ugly spot lights required!

The ballasts I mounted behind the fog lights in the guards

Not sure where you'll get you lights from as there are heaps of poor quality units out there and the guy that I got mine from dosent do it any more because of it.

Hope it Helps

The links

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=15321

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=15348

I just realized you started the original thread so what ever!

Edited by PC XT

Thanks for the reply, I did start the original thread ages ago, just thought I'd see if anyone had bothered to do the fogs as well.

I have just sourced some Lightforce XGT's to see if they fit in the nudge bar, then I want to convert them to hid. Was considering doing the lot all at once if it's practical.

Thanks,

Ann

I wanted to change my lights too but read that it's dangerous because the HID globe is in a different position so the reflector will direct/spread the light all wrong. So if you change to HID you really need to change the whole housing/reflector to be compatible. Fog lamp should be ok though I suspect. However it might make it harder to see having bright light at close range but dimmer halogen lights in the head light. Not sure if it's even legal to put HID lights in a car that didn't come with HID.

Not sure if it's even legal to put HID lights in a car that didn't come with HID.

It is!

Are you sure, I thought HID lights had to have washers fitted, therefore retro-fitting to a non-HID setup technically wouldn't be legal?

Retrofitting HID's into halogen reflectors is most definitely not legal. Even retrofitting into halogen projectors is not legal. A proper HID projector will be self-levelling and will have washers located on the bumper. The projector design itself is also a little bit different.

Also, don't put HID's in your fog lights please. They will have extremely bad glare.

Retrofitting HID's into halogen reflectors is most definitely not legal. Even retrofitting into halogen projectors is not legal. A proper HID projector will be self-levelling and will have washers located on the bumper. The projector design itself is also a little bit different. This is not all true as not all factory HID's use a projector after the globe eg my Forester XTMY06 But it does have washers which are compulsory, no headlight protectors are allowed and I'm sure my Forester does not have self levelers in them

Also, don't put HID's in your fog lights please. They will have extremely bad glare.

They are fine mine never get turned on by them self they come on with the high beam wired through the original dash switch! So there is a twist to every rule, I do agree don't put fogs in if you are going to driver around with them on in the city for pose value it is a pain in the arts

Andrew when I said "it is" I was referring to it being illegal to retro fit HID's to std head lights.........It opens a hole can of worms, if you do make sure you're aim the head lights down I did mine and they got checked by Toyota and they were on target so I was lucky enough to get away with it, and also don't put blue and purple colour lights in you will be just asking for trouble ...6000K Max

Edited by PC XT

It is illegal to fit HID lights into a halogen reflector.

I went to Autobarn today to get the Philips halogen lights. The guy behind the counter tried to sell me a HID kit including fitting. I said, "but are they legal?". He just shook his head. Don't know why they're pushing them if they are illegal. I suppose they make money selling and fitting them. The factory halogen headlights are not designed for HID globes. If you manage to get them pointing in the right direction and don't go over 6,000k then you probably won't get pulled over for it. But what if you have a head on accident at night and the other driver says your lights were bright? Then the police will check your lights and presto, the accident is your fault and you had an accident in an unroadworthy vehicle which may leave you uninsured. If you need good lights for the country highways buy HID drivng lights that you can mount on a nudge bar. Upgrading your headlight's halogen globes to Philips halogen globes (I got Crystal Clear 4300k) will give you some improvement over the factory globes for ~$60-$100.

It is illegal to fit HID lights into a halogen reflector.

I went to Autobarn today to get the Philips halogen lights. The guy behind the counter tried to sell me a HID kit including fitting. I said, "but are they legal?". He just shook his head. Don't know why they're pushing them if they are illegal. I suppose they make money selling and fitting them. The factory halogen headlights are not designed for HID globes. If you manage to get them pointing in the right direction and don't go over 6,000k then you probably won't get pulled over for it. But what if you have a head on accident at night and the other driver says your lights were bright? Then the police will check your lights and presto, the accident is your fault and you had an accident in an unroadworthy vehicle which may leave you uninsured. If you need good lights for the country highways buy HID drivng lights that you can mount on a nudge bar. Upgrading your headlight's halogen globes to Philips halogen globes (I got Crystal Clear 4300k) will give you some improvement over the factory globes for ~$60-$100.

Just say Autobarn fitted them... No you do have a valid point that's why these type of threads always issues

If you need good lights for the country highways buy HID drivng lights that you can mount on a nudge bar. Already have them!