New audio

czaja74

I'm looking to replace my speaker . All I want is something with nice sound quality and a little bit of power. I dont need subwoofer. This is what I'm thinking to get:

Head unit:

Link

Rear speakers

Link

Or

Link

Front speakers

Link

Amplifier

One of these

I had a look at the Alpine speakers within same price range but I dont know how they stack up agains above speakers. I'm not sure if I need amplifier or not. All I want is to run system efficiently with a god sound quality. What are your thoughts.

Edited by czaja74

Hey mate,

I spent ALOT of money on my audio system, mostly type r's and its so loud the plastic falls off on the c pillars but still has excellent sound quality, alpine is Sound quality based compared to kickers or digital design SPL based.

Okay with your system i would run

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Soundstream-PCX...oQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pioneer-TS-A6992R-6...1742.m153.l1262

and your fronts.

The amp runs 80rms to all speakers, just with the fronts you just gotta turn the gain a tad below norm. just a heads up the amp may heat up pretty quick (usually happens with cheap amps, really cheap). I recommend getting the a6992R because its got a wider frequency range (but if you get a subwoofer just get good fronts and a nice 2 channel amp) dont forget to buy a cable set (cheap cable sets off ebay, the 30$ ones have alot of plastic and not much cable wire. a little test i tried which made it heat up and slightly melt, i was bored and tried it on my spare amps)

Its better to run an amp so its more clear and can get louder than running without one

But thats my opinion.

Edited by Eargunk

If you want a good system that will sound good, I'd be going a bottom-middle of the range headunit, splits in the front doors, 6" coaxials in the rear and a single 12" pre-boxed subwoofer in the boot, running off a 4 channel amp. It will give you a much better sound than having 6x9's in the rear. In my opinion, the Pioneer speakers are good but VERY expensive for what they are, there are hundreds of other brands out there I'd be looking at. I've got Kicker DS splits in my front doors and even though they are a lot cheaper than the Pioneers, they sound as good if not better.

Go around to as many stores you can and audition as many speakers as you can. Get quotes on everything, weigh up if you're willing to save a few dollars at the risk of no warranty (as it generally is with eBay purchases) and don't forget to factor in installation if you're not confident doing it yourself.

Has anyone installed Clarion SRP6920M 6x9" Split or Clarion SRP1620M 6" Split in their car? They are quite cheap, $186 & $174, and they seem like the best solution for my Kluger without doing any modifications.

I was going to put the 6x9" in the front doors with the tweeter replacing the dash mid and the 6" in the rear doors with the tweeter inside the woofer.

Rockford Fosgate and MB Quart had speakers in these sizes and configuration as well, but were much more expensive.

I have a Kenwood DNX-8032BT head unit already. I was going to install the speakers next and if I need more power, install amps later.

If I need more after that, there is enough room for a 150 litre box, without taking up cabin or luggage space, where the third row seats would normally be for subs. That would be going too far though.

I've installed them and I don't like them a lot. The RF's are MUCH nicer, the MB Quarts even moreso. Only bother with coax's in your rear doors - front stage is where your dollars should go.

EDIT: Now I think of it, I think Boston Acoustics do a component 6x9" set.

Edited by the_random_hero

Has anyone installed Clarion SRP6920M 6x9" Split or Clarion SRP1620M 6" Split in their car? They are quite cheap, $186 & $174, and they seem like the best solution for my Kluger without doing any modifications.

I was going to put the 6x9" in the front doors with the tweeter replacing the dash mid and the 6" in the rear doors with the tweeter inside the woofer.

Rockford Fosgate and MB Quart had speakers in these sizes and configuration as well, but were much more expensive.

I have a Kenwood DNX-8032BT head unit already. I was going to install the speakers next and if I need more power, install amps later.

If I need more after that, there is enough room for a 150 litre box, without taking up cabin or luggage space, where the third row seats would normally be for subs. That would be going too far though.

I've installed them and I don't like them a lot. The RF's are MUCH nicer, the MB Quarts even moreso. Only bother with coax's in your rear doors - front stage is where your dollars should go.

Are the RF twice as good as the Clarion, as that is the cost difference? According to the specifications, the Clarion should be far better, but specifications can be manipulated. I had a set of Rockford Fosgate Punch Plates 20 years ago and they were fantastic speakers, but they absolutely needed a sub to back them up.

I want the rear sound to be as good as the front sound. My head unit has dual zone and the kids sometimes listen to something different in the back and sometimes it is only them listening. The current coax in the back sound horrendous by themselves. Also, when I have passengers, I'm not sure why they shouldn't have the same sound quality as the front. Am I missing something?

The reason I personally wouldn't bother or recommend people go too crazy with rear speakers as I build a system to satisfy my listening needs, not what passengers possibly might be in my car (99% of the time it's just me). Your case is a bit different, so it is worthwhile spending that bit extra on rears.

Specifications really don't mean anything when it comes to speakers, it's what they sound like. The Clarions lack a fair bit of depth and don't sound balanced enough for my liking, but your taste in speaker might be totally different to mine.

Looking for different amps and speakers is one main task, based on my experience of Sound system, its not just about the speakers that could produce the SOUND Quality that your looking for, you can pay 1 grand worth of speakers but you always need to consider the wiring you use too... As what the_random_hero say, some of us have different taste of speakers....

when your looking for sound quality and you have a good set of speakers and amps, you than think this would sound great, but to gain the improvement on those speakers, we would need to find a decent wiring for the speakers and amps.... I cant suggest much what wiring is good but I used Rockford 1/0 Ground wire for the Amps to get the POWER needed, and Monster Cable for the Speaker wiring and for me, it did make a difference to my speakers than what I thought that my speaker 'that's the best it could get'... after installing Monster Cable, sounds better in my true opinion... so do find some decent wirings to get your QUALITY that your looking for

Are the RF twice as good as the Clarion, as that is the cost difference? According to the specifications, the Clarion should be far better, but specifications can be manipulated. I had a set of Rockford Fosgate Punch Plates 20 years ago and they were fantastic speakers, but they absolutely needed a sub to back them up.

I want the rear sound to be as good as the front sound. My head unit has dual zone and the kids sometimes listen to something different in the back and sometimes it is only them listening. The current coax in the back sound horrendous by themselves. Also, when I have passengers, I'm not sure why they shouldn't have the same sound quality as the front. Am I missing something?

The reason I personally wouldn't bother or recommend people go too crazy with rear speakers as I build a system to satisfy my listening needs, not what passengers possibly might be in my car (99% of the time it's just me). Your case is a bit different, so it is worthwhile spending that bit extra on rears.

Specifications really don't mean anything when it comes to speakers, it's what they sound like. The Clarions lack a fair bit of depth and don't sound balanced enough for my liking, but your taste in speaker might be totally different to mine.

TRH, when you say "The Clarions lack a fair bit of depth", what do you mean? I was hoping they had a bit of bass so I don't need to fit a sub, maybe just an amp. I'm not looking for DOOF DOOF, maybe just DOOF. SInce you've heard them, what do you think. The equaliser in the 8032 lets me fix most of the crappy sounds from the current front speakers, not the rears though, but you can't get bass that isn't there.

They seem to have fairly weak mids and the tweeters don't blend in nicely with the woofers. Kicker KS series? Have plenty of bass, especially if you sound deaden your doors.

i got kicker RS 6.25s great speakers, the best thing is their co-axil so i can screw the tweeter in the cone, cost about $400~ not for SQ system, nice loud and clear