2AZ Mods?

Lupetto

Hello boys and girls.

First post so call me vergin....

Just bought myself a 2004 camry Sportivo 4cyl.

love the car > the looks > the feel > the lack of power?

Heheh the car is fine with speed its the take off that is a little upseting :( is it me or power seems to kick in at about 2.5k RPM?

ide love to know if any of you know any mods that could give it more Kick?

i.e CAI? ECU upgrades? Pigy backs?

Im sure some one has mentioned before (or at least one of you was tempted into buying) one of those 20+HP chips (upgrades) on ebay?

(http://cgi.ebay.com.au/20HP-O2-PERFORMANCE-CHIP-for-TOYOTA-CELICA-MR3-MR2-RAV_W0QQitemZ280319070090QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item280319070090&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

:) any info would be awsome...

Those chips are a POS. Stay clear.

1: Lightweight Crank Pulley.

2: Intake

3: Full exhaust with headers

4: Turbo kit (The US Scion TC ones can be modded to fit). I'd stay far away from the 2AZ TRD Supercharger though.

Those chips are a POS. Stay clear.

1: Lightweight Crank Pulley.

2: Intake

3: Full exhaust with headers

4: Turbo kit (The US Scion TC ones can be modded to fit). I'd stay far away from the 2AZ TRD Supercharger though.

Yea ive looked into Scion... im not gona go into force Induction as of yet (1 point left on my lisence... dont ask)

Any one know a good place to get full exuast done? being VVT-i Back preasure is important....

And as for Intake.... K&N have a kit for $670 :o

Any one know where i can buy a cheaper one? or a TRD one prefered :D

Where would be a good place to get crank and pulley done? also est price?

I ask allot but still kinda noobish with cars.

Thanks guys :D

Hey, we all need to start somewhere learning on cars.

As for the intake, I made my own. I refuse to pay the prices for aftermarket intakes. TRD is always a good choice though (IF you can afford it, but still not worth the $ in my opinion).

For the Crank Pulley, here int he US they pretty much only list them for the Scion tC, BUT, the 2AZ crank Pulley in the Camry has the same OEM part number as the tC Crank Pulley. So they are fone, and a couple people her eint he US have used them. I think with the current exchange rate, it would cost you around $200-$250 to get one from the US.

As for the exhaust, I'll leave that one to the local's, since I;m in the USA.

The crank pulley should increase take off a bit, as my friend said they help the engine rev better due to thier light weight.

As for buying from the US, just remember that shipping is NOT cheap. Ironically, I'm mailing a TRD short shifter to Australia next week to my friend, lol.

ahaha

Ahmmmm maybe you could help me out then ? ;)

Yea shipping isnt cheap but as its hard to get your hands on anything down here ide rather pay some one to get it sent to me.... Im happy with pricing...

Reckon you can help?

BTW: you where saying to keep away from the TRD SC kit... any reason why? Seeying that in the future ide prob get a SC over TURBO

Adam, who the hell's getting the short shifter??? I wanna see what it looks like if I know em :P

I've mentioned this... and always will, look for a Port and Polish on the engine mate. Costs around 700ish... maybe more, but can get some good gains from what I've been told :)

cheers Whip Cracker.

im sad to say no one seems to whant to work in Australia any more :(

whent to 3 diff mod shops (custom car shops) I asked for pricing on Rims and suspension... and all i got asked was "what car?" soon as i told them 2004 Camry they just shruged it off with a "ill have to see the car"

Whent to a Exuast shop to see what could be done with exuast (I know VVTi counts on back preasure... i just want it a little gruntier)

Again they insisted that because its not a sports car that the car would sound weird and that being VVTi it would be like a high pitch instead of a grumble.... and that it would cost allot and that the mufler on them was special and that i prob wouldnt like the sound of it... thats why allot of peep dont get them done...

Is it me? or does no one care about Uniqueness anymore?

If any one in Adelaide can recomend a good place to go ide love to hear it.

All i want at the moment is exuast, CAI, RIms, Lowered... i have the cash but not the know how... and it seems like South Australians are getting slacker.

cheers Whip Cracker.

whent to 3 diff mod shops (custom car shops) I asked for pricing on Rims and suspension... and all i got asked was "what car?" soon as i told them 2004 Camry they just shruged it off with a "ill have to see the car"

Whent to a Exuast shop to see what could be done with exuast (I know VVTi counts on back preasure... i just want it a little gruntier)

Again they insisted that because its not a sports car that the car would sound weird and that being VVTi it would be like a high pitch instead of a grumble.... and that it would cost allot and that the mufler on them was special and that i prob wouldnt like the sound of it... thats why allot of peep dont get them done...

All i want at the moment is exuast, CAI, RIms, Lowered... i have the cash but not the know how... and it seems like South Australians are getting slacker.

I've heard a lot of stories about places which refuse to work (or are really reluctant) on something which isn't a Commodore or Falcon.

Best to go in with an attitude like "I want this, this and this", as opposed to "what do you reckon"

cheers Whip Cracker.

you can try to get a high flow muffler from toyota, which works fine with the vvti. they were sold as an optional accessory for the sportivo's. note: this is different to the sportivo muffler on the 1mz, as the 2az has the standard muffler found on the altise. the problem is not many dealers would stock them, so theyre pretty hard to find.

as for cai, you'd easily be able to make it yourself. autobarn stock a huge range of different shaped pipes, attachments, elbows, brackets, etc. you could come away with a custom cai for around the $150-200 mark if you shop smart. the most expensive bit will be the pod filter itself. i intend to do this, but just havent got the time to stuff around putting it together.

as for lowering, i'd recommend king springs. theres a lot of members here that would testify to those. alternatively, you could also get your current springs compressed. the springs from a lot of japanese manufacturers are relatively flexible, and can be safely compressed to a degree to lower the car without compromising the structural integrity of the spring itself. the good news is that you can switch it back to stock whenever you want.

Edited by lateralus

Adam, who the hell's getting the short shifter??? I wanna see what it looks like if I know em :P

Are you going to put one on? Only problem is that you have an auto.

Are you going to put one on? Only problem is that you have an auto.

I might only have an Auto... just means I can drink Iced Coffee whilst driving :P I'd be more inclined to get a Levoc shifter mate :)

I know of a nice Performance place in Adelaide that does a fair bit of work for Chasers and the like. *Something* Performance... can't remember the name.

Cheers for the replies guys.

I did a fair bit of research and i figured out what ill be doing.

SC14 SC

Reason being, I wanted something that would give me substantial boost in performance without having to redo the guts of the engine.

The SC14 run at about 7 – 8 psi > will cost me around $420 for the SC + $200+ for the pulleys.

To install it is going to cost me a bit more.

I'm still looking around for a reliable workshop, but I got quoted from CAR TOYS on Port Road (they did my mates S15 a year ago and he was impressed)

They quoted me around $3000 and a week’s worth of work, The mechanic there has never done a SC installation on a Camry so he really doesn’t know what he has to do.

Can’t imagine it to be that hard though… just a matter of making a mounting plate and hooking up the Pulleys (I was also told by another place that I would need a 5th injector? No idea why as he failed to explain why…)

Any one got any hints or tips before I go ahead with this?

Or know someone that KNOWS what he is doing?

i would think that 7-8 psi is too much for the 2az-fe. it's only an economy engine, i don't think it could handle that much boost. perhaps 5-6 is a more realistic figure for that engine.

when toyota locally developed a camry v6 sportivo with a supecharger, it was only running 0.46 bar of boost, or 6.6psi.

you could keep the stock injectors as theyre alright, but you will need to more powerful fuel pump to get it all up to the rail. you will need to rework the intake too.

i would think that 7-8 psi is too much for the 2az-fe. it's only an economy engine, i don't think it could handle that much boost. perhaps 5-6 is a more realistic figure for that engine.

when toyota locally developed a camry v6 sportivo with a supecharger, it was only running 0.46 bar of boost, or 6.6psi.

you could keep the stock injectors as theyre alright, but you will need to more powerful fuel pump to get it all up to the rail. you will need to rework the intake too.

7-8 psi is quite mild, remember that a lot of Toyota's more recent inhouse turbo/supercharger efforts run very mild boost so that internals don't have to be upgraded - hell, the AE112 Sportivo Turbo ran 8psi on a completely stock 7AFE, only intake piping and ECU were changed, still used the same compression ratio as the NA engines.

Fuel pump shouldnt be that much more expensive. Intake? what do you mean? sorry for my noobishness :(

The TS01 was actually only running 4psi worth of boost to put out 185kw. Anything more you will need injectors, and fuel pump upgrade as well as a air flow controller.

And I think the stock Scions in the states (they use the 2az motor) which is boosted to 7psi.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=108776

here you go, a little bit of info to what they did to the engine.

The TS01 was actually only running 4psi worth of boost to put out 185kw. Anything more you will need injectors, and fuel pump upgrade as well as a air flow controller.

And I think the stock Scions in the states (they use the 2az motor) which is boosted to 7psi.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=108776

here you go, a little bit of info to what they did to the engine.

article by wheels in 2005 stated .46 bar of boost to get 185kw, with only other mods as remapped ecu and bigger fuel pump, and thats it.

Considering Anthony (A) has one of these chargers on... I ain't gonna argue with him :P hahahaha

7-8 psi is what the TRD Aurion uses... stronger engine, but these engines should be able to handle it :)

Thanks Guys. You have onhestly been the bigest help :D

will keep you all up to date on whats going on.

Also will take some pics of the car when i get home.

If this goes all good will post a DIY on what was involved, What happend, Ins and Outs and also Probs you might encounter with instelation... Hope that will help any one with future mods like this.

:D cheers once more

Hmm thats strange. Anything over 4psi, our injectors start becoming very unreliable (100% duty). Thats why everyone in the states had to put the supra non turbo ones in. Fuel pump and remapped ecu would definitely have had been done at that boost level, even at 4psi it is necessary.

But the most important thing with our 1mz engine that stops everyone being able to boost to high is the very very sensitive knock sensor! Anything over 5.5 and you're tempting fate!

Oh by the way, my link is about the 2az engine :)

Edited by STYLSH

Being in Australia a TRD SC Kit will be hard to bring down.. Hence why im custom Fitting one.

SC14 runs at 7PSI MAX (so ive been told)

As far as i have understood.... the only thing they gota get done is a mounting plate/ECU remap (Dyno Tuned?)

But any more hicups you guys can think of will help me out.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER ..... And i like power :P