Tyres problems

MR 988

hey everyone,

i got a problem with my tyres. when i make a turning, i felt the tyres were very slippy. I just got these tyres for one month, the brand is KYOTO. and the tyres store ppl said there were very cheap, thatz why it happened. And i am thinking to get new tyres for the front. I got two brands, one is Falken, another is Kumho. Did anyone hear them before? They are all $160 each, which is one better? and should i need to change them? these tyres come with the new rims. i just feel unsafety. any suggestion?

all best

Edited by eric123

KYOTO brand tires... not a brand you hear off a lot when it comes to passenger cars. The fact you were told that they were cheap would be one indication of the lacking grip. Tires aren't something you should really skimp on. When you consider that they are responsible for holding you to the road, you should at least get a decent set.

I'd assume you meant Kumho not Kumbo. Depending on the tires at the given price, I would lean towards the Falken but without the specific design tire, it would be hard to make a judgement.

do u have any recommonded tyres? also, for $160 can still i get good 18inch tyres ?

$160 is bottom-middle of the range for 18" tyres, more-so towards bottom of the range. but, it also depends on the specific tyre size, it may differ a fair bit per tyre in the same size.

considering what DJKOR has said (tyre being the only thing holding you to the road), i think you'd be best off budgeting for at least $200 a tyre for something decent. even so, all tyres have their ups and downs, depends upon the type of driving you do

$185 nankang ns2. Nice grip in the dry, not very good in the wet. They wear ok but i managed to wear the shoulders in about 25,000km. And at the latter end of their life, their grip decreases dramatically, even in the dry.

Personally, I'd invest more money in tyres as said, it may be that $400 that you skimp on now causing an accident costing thousands...or hurting yourself or someone else...

$185 nankang ns2. Nice grip in the dry, not very good in the wet. They wear ok but i managed to wear the shoulders in about 25,000km. And at the latter end of their life, their grip decreases dramatically, even in the dry.

Personally, I'd invest more money in tyres as said, it may be that $400 that you skimp on now causing an accident costing thousands...or hurting yourself or someone else...

i agree too many cheap tyres out there protecting huge investments,i know some people cant afford quality all the time but tyres are something you should maybe plan ahead and save for and not cheapout on.example, a mate of mine bought 20'' for his VE SS comm 3 weeks after spending $2200 rims & $1100 on tyres the cars was at our panel shop with front damage worth about $6-7 grand,and he blames the tyres because he said they aquaplaned and he just could not pull up, said was only about 5km over speed limit when accident happened. p.s he has got tyres on the VE now that cost about $2400 a set and has told me these would have avoided the crash and his baby would still be in MINT condition.ohh well live and learn.

could u please list some brands which i am able to choose?thx

there's an endless list of brands you could go for, andthen depending on the tyre size you need that will narrow down which tyres you can actually go for. go to your tyre shop and ask them what they have in what size and try to stick to reputable brands, eg. goodyear, dunlop, hankook, etc.

hey everyone,

i got a problem with my tyres. when i make a turning, i felt the tyres were very slippy. I just got these tyres for one month, the brand is KYOTO. and the tyres store ppl said there were very cheap, thatz why it happened. And i am thinking to get new tyres for the front. I got two brands, one is Falken, another is Kumho. Did anyone hear them before? They are all $160 each, which is one better? and should i need to change them? these tyres come with the new rims. i just feel unsafety. any suggestion?

all best

I have used both Falken and Kumho for my old car before(18's). Personally I didn't like the Falken, a bit too lound and hard. The Kumho I used had better grip and wasn't that lound. (On a RWD though)

Dunlops are good... never heard of any issues with em.

I'm currently running Goodyears on all corners (only about $130 each on special) and yeah, fixed soooo many unanswered problems from the mechanic..