Need help in buying used Camry

joling

Hi all,

I used to have a Hiace Campervan(bought from rental company). But recently sold it off. Now our family needs to buy a used camry..Looking at the market, there are quite a few jargons which I dont quite understand. Hope someone can help.

1) What is the difference between a "ACV36R 06 UPGRADE"," MCV36R 06 UPGRADE"and "ACV40R"? Does it matter for the camrys?

2) When I view the cars from the websites, most of the dealers will include "price does not cover government taxes", does anyone know what sort of taxes will be included in the final deal in WAh? Or am I better off buying a "drive away" car deal? Will it be cheaper?

3) Are ex government cars better?

As we are really car newbies, can anyone advise what to look out for when we look at cars both with the dealers as well as with private sellers.

Thank you so very much for any input :)

Hi and welcome to the forums..

ACV36R 06 UPGRADE : is a gen5 model (model before the current ones)

MCV36R 06 UPGRADE : is also gen5 model, but dont know the different. could be v6 different or date based but best to ask someone else.

ACV40R : is the current shaped model camry's (gen6)

If your buying from a dealer, your better off buying the car at a drive away price, so its a final price and no other hidden fees (these usally include dealer delivery (which is bs) gst, blah blah etc )

Im not sure with government cars, i think/heard they use the car to a certain point when the car speedo reaches 20,000km they sell it, best to go to an auction and ask about the car.

If your looking to buy a camry, how much you willing to pay tops? i want to get rid of mine, ive got a bike, hardly use the car :)

An ACV36R is the previous model 4cyl Camry, a MCV36R is the previous model V6 Camry. The "update" refers to the mid cycle update of the Camry which was purely cosmetic (Headlights, tail lights, bumpers and interior trims) which happened late 05. 02-05 is normally refered to as a gen 5 Camry the update model 05-06 is a gen 5.5.

An ACV40R is the current 4cyl Camry which is having an update soon. This one is refered to as a gen 6 Camry.

Always ask for a drive away price so you can compare apples with apples. The gov taxes are usually stamp duty and rego transfer costs.

Ex gov cars can sometimes be good as they usually have low kms, but it depends if the person who had the car drove it like they stole it because it was not there own car.

Get the car checked over by someone who knows what they are look for, either a trusted mechanic or get it inspected by a motoring body like NRMA, RACQ or RACV. Can cost around $200. With a dealer you will pay more than with a private seller, but in most states there is a statutory warranty when buying from a dealer.

As newbies it might be best to stick to a dealer for some piece of mind, the bigger ones are usually more reputable then the smaller back yard type dealers.