Which Engine management

hey guys,

in theupcoming few months the rolla is gonna be recieving some go, but for now I need to plan what parts are gonna be needed and prepare a budget.....

ive planned to get a TRD supercharger and some other goodies but im stuck on what computer to use....

I have been told several are quite good...

My options so far are:

-TRUST E-manage

-EMS

-Microtech MTX-8

-Unichip

and im on a bit of a budget so the Emanage is lookin good as its the cheapest alternative, but I want the most power i can get....

So what do you guys reckon??

BTW its a 1ZZ-FE engine.

As far as I know, all the above are good, but what's most important is you choose a good tuner to program it.

You can purchase the best ECU on the market, but it wont perform if it's not tuned correctly.

Well if you have a manual car then you have many options.

If you have an auto then your stuck with the TRD ecu unfortunatly.

For the ecu however you will have to look at more than just brands.

It is important to go to the person who will be fitting the supercharger for you and talk to them about ecu since they will be the ones tuning the car. If you can't find anyone to tune the ecu for you then there is no point in getting the ecu to start with.

Instead of listening to people about what brand is better (unichip is my personal fave) It is much better to simply enquire around your area and find out who you trust as a tuner.. and once you have found a tuner that you are willing to stick with you will find your options are even more so limited in choice.

I have been in talks with lots of people over the past week over this issue around Perth. My auto gearbox is a pain in the a$$ to say the least. Its pretty much either TRD ecu or another expensive option.

EDIT: damn you 1zz-fe!!! Beating me to the reply :lol:

Edited by Skitzo

yeah my cars a maunal so i dont have that problem...

ive talked with Incar Option in Sydneys west... they said that they do Emanages, Ems' and Microtechs...

but yeah i might just shop around...

anyone know of any reputable tuners?

ps. im going to be installing the supercharger myself as it is just a bolt on modification, and my old man has some experience with engines so it shouldnt be too hard.

if you go with a full standalone ECU like the microtech or EMS, you will loose full control of the VVTi. There's only a couple of aftermarket standalone ECU's out there that can control it correctly, and they are quite expensive (eg Motec). With the piggyback ECU's the stock ECU still controls the VVTi so that's all good, but they're still just piggyback ecu's modifying the stock ECU's input and output.

The emanage works well on the 1ZZ, and has been used with quite a bit of success on 1ZZ turbo installs in the US. It has more features than the Unichip, and gives you the flexibility of not requiring an "Unichip Authorised" workshop who have paid for the unichip software to tune it. There is a new version of the emanage being released soon which has even more features than the current unit, I'll be getting my hands on one to see what it can do when it's released.

Edited by rollamods

Hi kris,

try autotech engineering in granville.

they did my unichip for me when i had it and did the tuning to grimlocks car when he fitted the supercharger.

cheers

Bill

I am selling my emanage which includes loom and ignition harness. A true plug and play specificially for 1ZZ-FE engines. I followed MAP81's set up, and its been tested that the emanage is working fine. You just need to bring it to a dyno tune, thats it.

Reason being, need cash for suspension. I figured I may aswell fix something more important 1st.

Go with SMT6 -- will give you Unichip gains at the cost of e-manage.

Probably true but the only problem you will find is if you get the SMT6 you might struggle to find tuners in AUS that know much about them.

If memory serves correct the SMT6 is made by a company called perfect power a company based out of south africa.

As i learned the hard way and TJ can back me up on this one perfect power's products arent exaclty famous over here in AUS and i was in multiple phone calls with their engineers to try and get one of there other products working on the s'tivo. and even then the tuners couldnt get it to happen.

Again as usual doing my research after i bought the damn thing i found out only 2 places in AUS really knew anything about them...1 was a tuning shop in Vic and the other in S.A n that is a problem when im in NSW....

As i found out afterwards and will preach to everyone now .... go with something the local tuners know about and can get working for you and is proven.....which for me at the time was a Unichip once i gave up on perfect powers product.

cheers

Bill

Edited by xoom