Larger Woofer in Aurion front doors

Steven

Hey all. New to the forum, pick up my ZR6 hopefully monday next week.

Been reading up on the forums, am I correct in thinking the Aurion has 6x9 speakers all round?

I used to have a fairly decent SQ system in my last car, a 97 VT Holden Commodore with a 3-way front system, using an 8" driver for the mid-bass. Very high SQ driver and I'm keen to bring it with me into the Aurion. In the Commodore it require custom pods and modifying the door trims, but as stock they only have a 6" driver in there and the standard door trims weren't even big enough for them. In the Aurion I'd like to mount the 8" drivers underneath the standard door trim grill, how big is the actual mounting hole in the door? I know it must be at least 6" x 9", but is the whole actually bigger than that and the speaker uses a much larger bracket/mount to fill in the gap?

I like the bass of the 6x9s, but for SQ they aren't as good as normal round drivers imo - and I find regular 6.5" drivers just don't deliver the low down impact like a decent 8" can. By the way I don't intend on adding a sub at the moment and/or amplifiers. The 8" driver I want to use is very efficient and will work decently off just the factory outputs until I can do the rest of the system.

Yeah I've checked those threads thoroughly, nothing really to say though just what the dimensions of the door cutout actually is.

I checked the mounting depth of my woofers, they're about 93mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Removed the drivers door trim and factory speaker tonight to do a few measurements, looks like my 8" driver will actually fit, quite easily too. Driver depth actually comes out only a little bit deeper than the factory speaker. Will require a custom mounting bracket of course, but that's about it.

Driver was used in a previous SQ install. Rare driver in that despite its size (and low down kick) it actually has fairly decent midrange capabilities - once used in an active 2 way system without any dramas.

The Aurion just keeps impressing me.

post-13080-1240905377_thumb.jpg

Spent this long weekend installing the 8" drivers. Result? They'll fit, though to get them under the door trim will require a little bit of adjusting, however they're a let-down compared to the stock speakers due to their lower efficiency - they really need to be fed power from a capable amp to get going. As my system stands just running off the factory unit the standard 6x9s are better suited.

That being said, through careful listening I can make out that the 8's are much clearer and punchier.

So everything's back to stock until I get enough time to install my amplifiers. Oh well.

post-13080-1241402241_thumb.jpg