CEL 1zz TRD CAI

Guys,

I recently installed a TRD CAI in my 07 (1zz) corolla.

It went in fine, installed the breather filter as needed and everything was working swell.

About 4 days of it in the car my CEL light came on. Tried doing several things suggest on this forum (Reset ECU etc etc) and nothing fixed it.

Took the car to Toyota was due for service - Long story short they replaced the Oxygen sensor and the light was gone, for 2hrs and then was back on.

The light was on for around 2 weeks constantly however one afternoon switched its self off. Car felt so much smoother (Maybe physcological - Not sure). After 2hrs of 'spirited' driving the light was back on.

My question - Will this light always be on in a 1ZZ or is there a solution to this annoying problem?

Guys,

I recently installed a TRD CAI in my 07 (1zz) corolla.

It went in fine, installed the breather filter as needed and everything was working swell.

About 4 days of it in the car my CEL light came on. Tried doing several things suggest on this forum (Reset ECU etc etc) and nothing fixed it.

Took the car to Toyota was due for service - Long story short they replaced the Oxygen sensor and the light was gone, for 2hrs and then was back on.

The light was on for around 2 weeks constantly however one afternoon switched its self off. Car felt so much smoother (Maybe physcological - Not sure). After 2hrs of 'spirited' driving the light was back on.

My question - Will this light always be on in a 1ZZ or is there a solution to this annoying problem?

Have you tried cleaning your MAF sensor?

Ill post some pictures up shortly

All the correct hoses have been connected and also checked by Toyota Castle Hill

Whats the best way to clean the MAF sensor? and should i reset the ECU after i have cleaned it?

the most reliable way to clean the maf sensor element is to submerse the maf so the actual element is in metholated spirits, the switch the ignition on.

The hotwire heats up in the metho and the contaminates dissolve. Have found this works better than spraying with electrical contact cleaner etc.

So can someone confirm the steps i should take - I know its expensive to replace so dont want to stuff anything up.

1. Remove MAF sensor

2. Place in metholated spirits (the whole thing or what?)

3. Turn on car

4. ..................... what next?

So once i have cleaned the MAF sensor how am i meant to clear the CEL?

Thanks heaps for the replies so far!

Best way for you would be:

-Remove MAF

-Place in Metho so just the element is submersed, leave for 30 mins

-Agitate MAF in metho before removal from cup or similar

-Plug MAF into engine loom

-Switch ignition on and wait for 1 minute

-Switch ignition off and re-install maf in CAI housing

-Start car and go for a drive.

Jason,

Thanks heaps for the advice - Followed instructions and all seemed good. Reset the ECU and went for a drive.

Like all the other times however the light came on about 40mins of driving.

Toyota already replaced the oxy sensor, so what else could be causing the light to be thrown?

Jason,

Thanks heaps for the advice - Followed instructions and all seemed good. Reset the ECU and went for a drive.

Like all the other times however the light came on about 40mins of driving.

Toyota already replaced the oxy sensor, so what else could be causing the light to be thrown?

Should try to diagnose the CEL with a diagnostics tool. A local mech should have one.

• 5 months later...

hi there, i want to install a TRD CAI on my 05 facelift corolla hatch back and see that u have a problem withh it??

Have you sorted the problem out as I need your help as well and what do u do with the breather hose from the motor??

Thanks

Brian88