legality of led fog lights

Hi everyone,

Looking around on ebay, i found this interesting: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Car-Truck-Universal...%3A1|240%3A1318

Is it legal to put it in my rolla just like the Jazz in the photos?

Is it legal to turn it on with my headlight on at night at the same time? (so 2 headlights + 2 bar of this fog lights)

Thanks a lot :)

Khiem

hey i wanted to do the same thing. i saw these down at repco asked the dude and he said he wasnt sure so he rang up the company and they said its not legal to have them on at night as with all fog lights. though you can use them during the day as daylight drivign lamps.

hey i wanted to do the same thing. i saw these down at repco asked the dude and he said he wasnt sure so he rang up the company and they said its not legal to have them on at night as with all fog lights. though you can use them during the day as daylight drivign lamps.

Yea. I heard some mates on this forum saying that we are not allowed to leave 4 of them (2 headlights + 2 fog lights) on at the same time, however, i usually see ppl driving with them all on, dont know why?

Will they get pull over if the police see that?

Yea. I heard some mates on this forum saying that we are not allowed to leave 4 of them (2 headlights + 2 fog lights) on at the same time, however, i usually see ppl driving with them all on, dont know why?

Will they get pull over if the police see that?

yeah, i dont think its allowed

its either 1) parker and normal headlight

or

2) parker + 2 foggies,,, no headlight,

either one! :)

and yeh, police will do u for that, u can onli use it when the weather is sh 1t! like raining, foggies etc2

So in fact, we can safely install that? I think its true that only the fog and the parker can be turned on at the same time, not with headlights.

Can anyone who already installed somethin like this confirm again with me please :(.

How much roughly u think installing this may cost?

THanks in advance :-)

Fog lights can only be used when it's either raining heavily, or in a fog situation. I'm fairly sure it's fog lights that have to be dependant from your high beams, whereas driving lights can only be used when your high beams are on.

It would be fairly easy to install, just a process of wiring up a relay, switch and power wires. Keep in mind it won't illuminate the road or anything (nothing like a halogen or xenon lamp), but will be fairly easily visible from a distance.

Fog lights can only be used when it's either raining heavily, or in a fog situation. I'm fairly sure it's fog lights that have to be dependant from your high beams, whereas driving lights can only be used when your high beams are on.

It would be fairly easy to install, just a process of wiring up a relay, switch and power wires. Keep in mind it won't illuminate the road or anything (nothing like a halogen or xenon lamp), but will be fairly easily visible from a distance.

THanks for that,

did u mean fog lights have to be independent from your high beams? shouldn't we turn it off while headlights ON? I am a bit confused there :D

Yea, like the little leds on AUdi, its visible from a great distance. That's the reason why I want to install my rolla one :-D.

THanks for that,

did u mean fog lights have to be independent from your high beams? shouldn't we turn it off while headlights ON? I am a bit confused there :D

Yea, like the little leds on AUdi, its visible from a great distance. That's the reason why I want to install my rolla one :-D.

Of course that's what I meant :P Sorry, been a fairly long day. Anyway, these are the rules for QLD but I'm sure it's going to be different in other states.

A pair of fog lights, showing a beam of white or yellow

light, may be fitted to the front of a motor vehicle with

the centres no higher than the top of the dipped beam

headlight. The lights must be mounted symmetrically not

less than 600mm apart.

Fog lights must be capable of being switched on and off

independently of any headlights but must only be able

to be switched on when the parking lights are on. Fog

lights must not be used except in fog or mist or under

other atmospheric conditions which restrict visibility.

Edited by the_random_hero

thats a really clear explaination.

Where did u find it? I wanna find a version of the city i m living (Adelaide, SA)

That one comes off the Queensland Transport Website. I'm sure if you search the website of yoru local Transport Authority, you will be bound to find similar results.

As a matter of fact, I did that for you:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/person...pdfs/Info27.pdf

A pair of front fog lights fitted to a motor vehicle must have the centre of each light not more than 400mm in

from the side of the vehicle and the centres of the lights at least 600mm apart.

Where the top of the front fog light is higher than the top of any low-beam headlight on the vehicle the centre

of the for light must not be higher than the centre of the low-beam headlight.

A front fog light must, when on:

• Project white or yellow light in front of the vehicle; and

• Be a low beam light; and

• Be able to be operated independently of any headlight; and

• Be fitted so the light from it does not reflect off the vehicle into the driver’s eyes.

Doesn't say anything about the conditions of using them though.

I found this in the Transport SA website

Where lights are required to be fitted in pairs the following applies:

• A light must be fitted on each side of the longitudinal axis of the vehicle;

• The centre of each light in a pair must be the same distance from the longitudinal axis of the vehicle;

• The centre of each light in a pair must be at the same height above ground level;

• Each light in a pair must project approximately the same amount of light of the same colour.

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS

A pair of front daytime running lights may be fitted to a motor vehicle. The centre of each light must be at

least 600mm from the centre of the other light and not more than 510mm in from the side of the vehicle.

A motor vehicle less than 1.3 metres in width can be fitted with a pair of front daytime running lights not less

than 400mm from the centre of the other light.

PERFORMANCE

When on, a front daytime running light must show a white or yellow light visible from the front of the vehicle

and not use over 25 watts power.

Daytime running lamps must be wired so they are off when a headlight, except a headlight being used as a

flashing signal, is on.

FRONT FOG LIGHTS

A pair of front fog lights fitted to a motor vehicle must have the centre of each light not more than 400mm in

from the side of the vehicle and the centres of the lights at least 600mm apart.

Where the top of the front fog light is higher than the top of any low-beam headlight on the vehicle the centre

of the for light must not be higher than the centre of the low-beam headlight.

A front fog light must, when on:

• Project white or yellow light in front of the vehicle; and

• Be a low beam light; and

• Be able to be operated independently of any headlight; and

• Be fitted so the light from it does not reflect off the vehicle into the driver’s eyes.

Yea, thanks everyone, so i think it pretty much answers my question :-)

P.S: nice Aurion DJKOR ;)

Edited by KHIEM

i had these on my old car, and i never got done by cops..

It all comes down to the cop really. Some let it slide... others don't. I've passed cops and seen many others pass cops when I/they have their fog lights on, and haven't been stopped for it. I've even seen some cops themselves using fog lights in clear weather condition.

I found this in the Transport SA website

Daytime running lamps must be wired so they are off when a headlight, except a headlight being used as a

flashing signal, is on

Daytime Running Lamps are a little different to fog lights. DRL's are usually your high beam running at like 20-30% power or there abouts. When you fit these LED lights, I think they would be classified under fog lights even though they aren't beneficial as such.

P.S: nice Aurion DJKOR ;)

Thanks... it's alright :spiteful:

yea, i think the Daytime Running lamps are the one that you talked about. I don't see any car with those DRL in Aus rite? I think in the US, most of the new cars have the DRL, its like more amber than the normal high-beam, abou 30% power of highbeam like you said, and its in the highbeam position of the headlights.

It looks like this rite:

ag_07civicsi_drls.jpg

What is the purpose of those lights? and why we hardly see anycar with those DRLs in Australia? Is that only for the place where they have fog most of the time? Like North America?

yea, i think the Daytime Running lamps are the one that you talked about. I don't see any car with those DRL in Aus rite? I think in the US, most of the new cars have the DRL, its like more amber than the normal high-beam, abou 30% power of highbeam like you said, and its in the highbeam position of the headlights.

What is the purpose of those lights? and why we hardly see anycar with those DRLs in Australia? Is that only for the place where they have fog most of the time? Like North America?

Yeah. It's mainly a US feature. They look more amber than your headlights simply because when you run a halogen bulb at low power, it tends to go towards a yellow colour.

The only cars in Australia that I can ever recall having DRL are the old school Volvo's. I think the concept behind it is that you will always be seen when you have them on. I kind of find it pointless in my opinion. I don't know why they still have it in the States.

When my headlights are on, my fog lights are too, i never use headlights without fog lights, drive past plenty of cops pull up beside cops, nobody says anything. I live in Canberra and as anyone that lives here knows, there are **** kangaroos everywhere, the fog lights in my car give you a wider spread of light to the side of the road to help see roos. If a cop ever pulls me over to tell me i'm not allowed to have fog lights on while driving i'll talk my way out of it.

Yea, i have seen many people driving with the fog lights on (even at daytime). The law that I quoted itself doesn't say about the condition to use it as well, so i think it should be fine.

Beside the led ones, I also had a look for a ... proper fog lights. There 2 two that I found:

$100 AUD, postage included

That item on ebay is just for 1 side (driver side). 2 of them, cost $218 AUD, postage included, no bulb, no wires no anything.

#1 seems to be a better deal. However, do you guys it looks nice when fitter in my car (hatch)? What do you think about this model? Will that gonna fit Aussie Corolla, since the item is in China, I am not sure about this. I have asked the seller.

#2 will cost a bit of extra money to buy the wires and the bulbs. However, i like the look of it.

Which one is better? If there's another better choice on ebay, please share with me.

Thanks a lot

The seller of the first item replied me, and he said the fog light will be compatible with the Aussie corolla. I asked him to check, and make sure with me one more time because I was affraid that the model of Corolla isdifferent in countries. He replied, and confirmed the second time.

What do you guysthing? Will that fit my corolla?

Thanks so much for your help,

TK

The seller of the first item replied me, and he said the fog light will be compatible with the Aussie corolla. I asked him to check, and make sure with me one more time because I was affraid that the model of Corolla isdifferent in countries. He replied, and confirmed the second time.

TK

i seriously doubt the first item fits our facelift corollas, did you send a photo of your car to the seller to confirm?

the second item is the one i bought, i bought both sides and asked for wiring harness for H11 bulbs and switch and it works fine :)

TK

i seriously doubt the first item fits our facelift corollas, did you send a photo of your car to the seller to confirm?

the second item is the one i bought, i bought both sides and asked for wiring harness for H11 bulbs and switch and it works fine :)

Yes I did send him a photo, this is it , http://pdftown.com/image/4762-toyota-corolla-2004.jpg

and this is what he replied me:

Thank you for your email.

I’m just confirm our fog lights is compatible with Toyota Corolla (05 - 06) model no matter the car is made of Australia or China. I hope that answers your question.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Elaine Huang

That was the second time I asked him, and he replied lik that. What do u think?

TK

Yes I did send him a photo, this is it , http://pdftown.com/image/4762-toyota-corolla-2004.jpg

and this is what he replied me:

Thank you for your email.

I’m just confirm our fog lights is compatible with Toyota Corolla (05 - 06) model no matter the car is made of Australia or China. I hope that answers your question.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Elaine Huang

That was the second time I asked him, and he replied lik that. What do u think?

hmm thats a pretty generic answer, i think the seller means it will work on our car installation wise, he does not mention it will be OEM fit.

Yeah. It's mainly a US feature. They look more amber than your headlights simply because when you run a halogen bulb at low power, it tends to go towards a yellow colour.

The only cars in Australia that I can ever recall having DRL are the old school Volvo's. I think the concept behind it is that you will always be seen when you have them on. I kind of find it pointless in my opinion. I don't know why they still have it in the States.

I'm pretty sure the impreza has had DRL for a number of years in oz, not sure about the current model.

As to using fog lights at night when there is no fog... blinding oncoming drivers isn't a really smart thing to do. Of course they're not likely to hit the offender but the possible numerous hazards that a half blinded driver just won't see for the next few seconds (try counting for yourself next time it happens to you). Unfortunately fog lights have become fashionable to have on at night and more and more new cars have them. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Hawk

i find HID headlamps, and the brighter(whiter) lamps to be much more blinding than having fog lights on, they are down lower and aren't tilted up, they just give more spill lighting, i don't find fog lamps on other cars coming at me to be blinding, and there aren't that many roads(besides suburban) that don't have an island seperating each direction of traffic in canberra.

IMO, HID lamps and the whiter lamps pose more of a hazard to other drivers.