Identify stock headunit sockets

funkd

1) Contains the wiring for steering wheel controls and speed sensor. Refer to plug 3 below.

2) Not used. Well mine wasn't present anyways.

3) Contains the wiring for the rear speakers. Refer to plug 2 below.

4) Contains the wiring for power and front speakers, etc. Refer to plug 1 below.

5 & 6) Both used for antenna. Not both are required. Just use whichever one is on your aftermarket head unit.

As for the wiring, I'm one step ahead of you:

Just for you, I took my head unit out and took some measurements. When you look at the car side of the wiring harness you will see three connectors. The following is in reference to it when you are looking into the socket of the plug itself. Using the colours you can reference them. For the stereo, you will only need connectors 1 and 2. If you want to integrate the steering wheel buttons through the use of an external controller, then connector 3 has been included for reference. Only the wires present have been included:

newpicturer.png

Connector 1:

1 - Light Green - Speaker: Front Right Positive (+)

2 - Pink - Speaker: Front Left Positive (+)

3 - Grey - +12v ACC

4 - Blue/Yellow - +12v Constant

5 - Blue - Speaker: Front Right Negative (-)

6 - Purple - Speaker: Front Left Negative (-)

7 - Brown - Ground

8 - Orange - Antenna Power (+12v to power antenna amplifier)

10 - Dark Green - Illumination (+12v when tail lights on)

Connector 2:

1 - Red - Speaker: Rear Right Positive (+)

2 - Black - Speaker Rear Left Positive (+)

3 - White - Speaker: Rear Right Negative (-)

6 - Yellow - Speaker Rear Left Negative (-)

Connector 3:

3 - Purple - Speed signal (used for ASL in stock unit)

6 - Pink - Steering control ground

7 - Orange - Steering control signal (for SEEK and VOL)

8 - Yellow - Steering control signal (for MODE)

Don't be fooled by connector 2. It may have thicker gauge wire and have Red, Black, and Yellow wires which are commonly used to power a head unit, but these are speaker connections only.

I hope that helps for now, and good luck.

Edit: This thread has been added to the FAQ's now.

• 5 months later...

Hi

Can you please explain what the Purple (speed signal) cable in Connector 3 is used for in the stock unit? I did not undersrtant the meaning of ASL. I am buying a third party HDU and just wondering what affect this cable have. The supplier tells me that the DVD screen will turn off when driving (which is fine) but they also advised that they have another cable (parking wire) which can be connected to ground to override this.

Can you please explain what the Purple (speed signal) cable in Connector 3 is used for in the stock unit? I did not undersrtant the meaning of ASL. I am buying a third party HDU and just wondering what affect this cable have.

ASL is for Automatic Sound Level or whatever you want to call it along those lines. Essentially, the purple wire carries a pulsed signal which is basically the same as what your speedo receives. When ASL on your stock unit is turned on, it will automatically increase the volume of the stereo the faster you drive. This is to help compensate for the extra road noise associated with increased speed.

When you connect an aftermarket head unit, unless it has a specific feature to take advantage of this, this wire will no longer be used.

The supplier tells me that the DVD screen will turn off when driving (which is fine) but they also advised that they have another cable (parking wire) which can be connected to ground to override this.

The park brake override is common practise among those that fit aftermarket DVD units themselves and it is just as simple as connecting the park brake sense on the head unit to ground as you have mentioned.