Delay in headlights turning on

neK

Hoping to get some guidance from you guys here...

My corolla is about 5.5 years old now and my headlights are starting to play up a bit.

When i turn on my car and then turn on the headlights, the lights use to turn on straight away. Over the last few months, its the delay has started to increase, but not enough to really bother me.

Just yesterday, the lights took about 10 secs to turn on after i flicked the switch.

Thought that was rather odd, so i turned the lights off and on again... took about 7 secs.

Once the lights are on for a few minutes, I can flick them off and on instantly.

So far my work around for this is to hit high beams at the start.

Not sure if this is related as well, but my interior light also takes much longer to turn as well if the car has been off for a while.

Any ideas on what is wrong? Last thing i want is for my lights to be automatically turning off while im driving at night.

Thanks

One possible problem area for your headlights could be the headlight relay itself. If you stand near the fuse box in the engine bay and get someone to turn on your lights, do you hear a delayed click after they turn your headlights on? The relays aren't that much to replace and may be worth changing over if you are willing. AS for the interior light, it is possible that it could be coincidence, or it could in fact be another issue completely that is affecting your headlights since the dome light doesn't have a relay.

my headlights seem really stuffed now...

i just drove to the in laws and the lights took a while to turn on (but they turned on).

When i got there, i turned them off and back on again.. no problems.

When i left (about 15 mins later) the lights refused to turn on. Had to drive for 15 mins without any lights... i did use high beams when i was by myself on the road :(

Looked at the box last night... theres nothing for a the light relay only fans and stuff.

Anyways, im not going to muck around with something I have no idea about.

Gonna take it to Precision Car service at Silverwater.

He was able to tell me what the problem most likely was within 30 secs of me describing it.

Looks like a few corollas have had that in the past too.... but its gonna cost me $300 :(

Oh well, its $300 or driving at night with highbeams or no lights.

Looked at the box last night... theres nothing for a the light relay only fans and stuff.

Anyways, im not going to muck around with something I have no idea about.

Gonna take it to Precision Car service at Silverwater.

He was able to tell me what the problem most likely was within 30 secs of me describing it.

Looks like a few corollas have had that in the past too.... but its gonna cost me $300 :(

Oh well, its $300 or driving at night with highbeams or no lights.

WHAT? $300 for about five minutes work and $15 in parts? What exactly did he describe the problem as being?

Apparently he has to get under the car and get behind something or other.... I was happy that he felt so confident about what it was and that he had fixed this same problem for a few other corollas previously and i kinda forgot what else he said :P

I called up about 3 other auto electricians and also another toyota dealer before him. All said, they dont know what it is until they look at the car.

Honestly I'd rather pay more and have him fix it in 15 mins. At least he knows what he's doing. And at least this way i have for the weekend. :)

Btw, where is the light relay in the fuse box? Heres the fuse box from the service manual (not the user manual).

http://users.tpg.com.au/oong/corollaewdsupdr112w5.pdf

http://users.tpg.com.au/oong/corollaewdsupdr112w6.pdf

http://users.tpg.com.au/oong/corollaewdsupdr112w7.pdf

Which one of these is the light relay?

Edited by neK