My First Drive of the Stivo

Hey Guys

After going into work yesterday morning, I decided to drop into Southside Toyota (brisbane) and have a look at the Stivo and take one for a spin.

It was my lucky day as I got the traineee, as all the 'older' sales guys were busy. To cut a long story short, we went for a belt down through the streets in up and back on the highway.

Needless to say at one stage, taking it from a set of lights around a few corners and onto the motorway the young fella decided to hold on a bit tighter whilst I tested the lift :D

After that we talked turkey and I got him down to 28,990 drive away. Being that it was an '03 model and it was test driven only 24 K's. Aparently QLD only gets 1.5 new Stivos a month???

Anyway I talked to the finance guy and i left empty handed, I still need to wait for my X to buy me out of my 2 units before I can go back and pay $$$ for it. The repayments were a bit high with my mortgages etc.

A couple of points though I would like a bit of feedback on though if you would

- Lift kicked in at 5,800 not 6,000

- Steering not as responsive as i thought

- was i silly to knock back that price??

I have driven a Focus ST170 just recently also......anyone else taken one for a drive yet?...

:o Mate!....that is a very good price u got there! I would jump at that price. Can't beleive u knocked that back! But I guess u have a few things to sort out first...

I got mine for $29600 and that was after haggling for a few days! <_<

Is that the final offer for $28990???

Lift kicked in early, very unusual, i havent heard of that happening before. My opinion, dont buy an old test vehicle for the extra couple of grand because you just dont know who and how they tested the car. Personally i know i would thrash the damn thing in a test drive, like i bet you did :D , but anyway thats my opinion. About the steering, for everyday driving it's just rite. How does the focus compare to the stivo?

BlackRolla - Yeah 28,990 was the final offer....you know after the whole you give us a price we laugh and start really high.......then the whole you want HOW MUCH for your old car??

I told the guy from the word go I wasnt going to walk out today with the car...but you know they try their 'HARDEST' to get you a good bargain :P

lucio_libre - well as I have seen around the place 6000 was the mark....I was surprised when it lifted @ 5800 I made sure, as I did this a fair few times to double check. I agree with buying Ex Demo models etc. I am all for a nice factory made '04 that I can drive the way I want to from day 1 HARD :D

IMHO - The compare between the ST170 and the Stivo is fairly unmatched. They are 2 very different cars. The ST170 has a very racy feel to it, rougher, very low road hugging feeling. More of a direct feel and response from the steering and allot more poke down low and mid range from the 2.0 ltr donk.

The Stivo is a pleasure to drive also but has a more average Joe feel to it, but when the lift kicks in it unleashes the beast....a great little sleeper ,its asking for some low-mid work to be done to it.flywheel etc.

Example - going onto a highway in both (as I have done) 60 - 140K/Hr

Stivo = feels like it is struggling to get to the lift then all of a sudden the power comes on nice and smooth and it seems effortless......Oh crap 140 K's

St170 = Going -> Going -> Going.....oh Im there now!!

The ST170 is also crying out for a Turbo like the RS version which is available in the UK and Europe (unfortunately not in AUS)

Not bagging the Stivo one bit. I have read allot about it and have a huge liking for it now (especially after the test drive) but the ST170 does have a slightly better package but at a higher cost 38,000 base model as opposed to 29,000 for the Stivo

Oh and dont forget the ST170 donk is from 1993-5 OLD TECHNOLOGY!!!!!