[DIY] Foglight install with OEM stalk

Kenneth.

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd make a good contribution back to this forum after all the help I've gotten from here. This is my first DIY, but I hope you find it useful..

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician or an authorized Toyota installer. This is what worked for me. I am in no way responsible for you breaking, burning or otherwise destroying your car. If corrections need to be made to this guide, I will do so in my spare time. Feel free to PM me with suggestions/corrections/questions.

Now that's out of the way, on to the good stuff.

Background info:

The Yaris comes pre-wired ready for fogs from the factory. So it makes it a lot simpler to install a foglight kit, pretty much plug and play.

What you need:

1x foglight kit (comes with L&R fog lamps, 2x bulbs, 1x harness, 1x push switch, screws, and 2x 06-08 shrouds)

1x custom factory style harness (to make it all literally plug and play)

1x narva micro relay (p/n 68062BL)

1x OEM light stalk with Fog dial (p/n 84140-52110 (06-08) OR 84140-52090 (09))

1x pair of OEM fog shrouds (09 Yaris only, p/n 81481-52330 (right) and 81482-52260 (left))

---

1x socket wrench

1x 150mm extension

1x 19mm socket

1x 10mm socket

1x T30 torx bit or screwdriver

1x philips screwdriver

1x small flathead screw driver

1x steering wheel puller set (optional)

1x packet of larger zip ties

Bit of masking tape & a marker

Instructions:

Engine bay side //

---

1. Park your car and make sure your steering is straight. Disconnect the negative on your battery before doing anything. Leave it for atleast 90 seconds before proceeding to step 2. The reason is the airbag has a backup power source which activates for 1minute 30seconds after your main power is gone.

DSC03374_800x450.jpg

negative disconnected

2. Remove your front bumper. There are 5x plastic push-pins along the top, 2x plastic push-pins at the end of the bumper at the wheel guard (1 on each side), and 8 screws along the bottom (use your socket wrench with a 10mm socket here to make your life easier).

DSC03328_800x450.jpg

bumper removed

3. Pop out the original plastic covers. Pop in the fog light shrouds.

DSC03331_800x450.jpg

original cover removed

4. Test fit your fog lamps. Screw them in (09 models are held on by 2 screws and 1 slot per lamp, and 06-08 are held on by 1 screw and 2 slots per lamp).

DSC03335_800x450.jpg

DSC03333_800x450.jpg

ahh.. the beauty of OEM fit..

5. Route your wiring harness alongside the factory wiring which runs along your re-enforcement bar.

DSC03345_800x450.jpg

clean.. use as many zip ties as you think you need

6. Route the custom harness through the front end of the fuse box.

DSC03347_800x450.jpg

DSC03325_800x450_K09.jpg

the custom harness is the part from the white plug onwards. as you can see it hooks right up with the harness provided by the foglight kit

7. Plug the two pins from the harness into the two free sockets on the connector (the two on the top right of the connector).

DSC03349_800x450.jpg

plugged in to the connector

8. Ground the harness to a bolt on the chassis near the passenger side headlamp.

DSC03348_800x450.jpg

grounded

.. continued in next post, hit the limit for number of images per post.

Edited by KEN33F

.. continuing on

9. Connect up the fog lamps and remount your bumper and you're done.. for the engine bay side.

DSC03371_800x450.jpg

stand back and admire.. you're halfway there!

Inside cabin side //

---

10. Pull down your passenger side glove box and you'll see a in-cabin fuse box. There's a space for relay. Plug the Narva micro relay into this slot.

DSC03406_800x450.jpg

space for the micro relay

11. By this time your steering should be straight, so stick a piece of masking tape across and draw a line (you will use this later on to align the wheel). Using your T30 torx bit, loosen the two torx bolts on either side of the steering wheel. They will not fall out, so just loosen them. They hold the steering pad assembly in place.

DSC03372_800x450.jpg

masking tape with line through it, used for aligning the steering wheel later on

DSC03375_800x450.jpg

torx bit to undo the torx screws

12. Once loosened, the steering pad assembly will come off. Gently support it with one hand and unplug the horn (black cable). Then using a small flat head screwdriver gently pry the yellow piece to loosen the airbag connector. Remove the airbag connector. And set the steering pad assembly aside, emblem side always facing up.

DSC03376_800x450.jpg

rear of the steering pad assembly, showing the airbag connector and horn wire

13. Remove the mounting nut using the 19mm socket and socket wrench paired with a 150mm extension.

DSC03380_800x450.jpg

removing mounting nut

14. Unplug the white connector for the steering wheel controls (YRS) and horn. Then using the steering wheel puller kit, remove the steering wheel.

DSC03381_800x450.jpg

steering wheel puller kit

15. With the steering wheel removed, undo the 3 screws (2 at the front and 1 next to the steering column adjuster) that hold the plastic covers together with a philips screwdriver. Pressing the linings and gently pull the bottom half down to remove it. To remove the top pull it up and slide it out towards you.

DSC03385_800x450.jpg

16. Remove the centre spiral assembly. It's held on by 3 clips (1 at the top and 1 on each side). Be gentle with this.. you do NOT want to damage it..

DSC03392_800x450.jpg

centre spiral assembly

17. Remove the wiper stalk by depressing the clip which holds the stalk in place, then slide it out.

DSC03393_800x450.jpg

wiper stalk removed

.. continued in next post, hit the limit for number of images per post.

Edited by KEN33F

.. continuing on again

18. Using a pair of pliers bind the two ends of the clamp together to loosen it, while doing so get someone to help you pull the light stalk out. It's held on by a 2 notches, so gently tug until it comes out.

DSC03394_800x450.jpg

light stalk removed

19. Pop on your new light stalk with the fog switch. Then slide your wiper stalk in till it latches on, you'll hear/feel a click.

DSC03397_800x450.jpg

wiper stalk back in with new light stalk

20. Replace the centre spiral, it will click into place. Replace the top and lower plastic covers and screw them back in place. Reset the spiral by turning the spiral counter-clockwise all the way till it no longer turns. Then turn it ~2.5turns clockwise till the centre marks align (two triangles at the bottom).

DSC03399_800x450.jpg

spiral replaced, covers reseated and spiral reset

21. Replace the steering wheel making sure that the line on the masking tape match up, lock the steering wheel and tighten the mounting nut. Plug the white connector back into the centre spiral. Re-attach the horn and airbag connectors back onto the steering pad assembly. Finally, tighten up the 2 torx screws on either side of the steering wheel.

DSC03410_800x450.jpg

should end up looking like what you started with.. with the difference being your new stalk

22. Reconnect the battery and switch the car on. If the airbag light turns off, then you have done it correctly. Test your new switch out along with your new fogs! Grab a beer and give yourself a pat on the back.. :P

DSC03417_800x450_K09.jpg

following this install will give you a factory-like install, the fog indicator on the dash will light up when the fog lights are being operated

DSC03416_800x450_K09.jpg

.. and you should end up with something sexy like this!

I hope that this has/will help some of you out there who are hoping to do a factory like install with aftermarket foglight kits.

Regards,

Kenneth :)

Edited by KEN33F

Thanks fellas!

I had to split it between two days as I started late afternoon and it got dark real quickly. But if one was to do it from start-finish in the same day, it'd probably take.. approximately 2-3hours or 4 hours at max if you wanted to go slow and be extra careful. =)

Yeah the LCD box has come in handy for a few DIYs.

Oh and I remember 1rocky asking how much the total cost is for the setup in another thread, the total comes to about $400 and that includes:

- fog light kit

- custom harness

- relay

- OEM stalk

- '09 OEM shrouds

- shipping

*It'll be about $75 cheaper if it was for an 06-08 Yaris, where you could use the shrouds included with the kit.

Cheers,

Kenneth :)

Edited by KEN33F

• 1 month later...

Yeah it's true, the process for the ZZE is very similar. I installed a foglight kit with the OEM stalk off a Levin/Ultima on my mate's '03 Conquest just yesterday and it was the same deal. Even better yet, his Corolla left the factory pre-wired for fogs. Installing the stalk did not require removing the steering wheel, just the upper and lower plastic covers.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah it's true, the process for the ZZE is very similar. I installed a foglight kit with the OEM stalk off a Levin/Ultima on my mate's '03 Conquest just yesterday and it was the same deal. Even better yet, his Corolla left the factory pre-wired for fogs. Installing the stalk did not require removing the steering wheel, just the upper and lower plastic covers.

Hi,

I have an 03 Ascent Corolla, just wanting to know whether you needed a relay at all, or just the fuse? I'm wanting to install fog lamps soon and am just wanting to know exactly what i need?

Thanks in advance,

Flugel.

as a side note:

the 06-08 yaris is different!

the OEM foglight stalk is for the rear foglight and as such there is no wiring in the front of the car for it.

you can tap off the rear foglight realy providing you change the fuse to a larger one and remove the rear foglight bulb.

Hi,

I have an 03 Ascent Corolla, just wanting to know whether you needed a relay at all, or just the fuse? I'm wanting to install fog lamps soon and am just wanting to know exactly what i need?

Thanks in advance,

Flugel.

Hey there!

You can check if your Corolla is pre-wired for fogs. Look underneath your front bumper and you should see the foglight connectors taped up if it is pre-wired. If it is, then all you would need is a 4-pin Micro Relay (Narva 68062BL). The 15A fuse for front fogs should already also be pre-installed. If you buy the ESUSE ZZE foglight kit, it comes with a micro relay.

Let us know how it goes!

- Kenneth

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Flugel.

Hey there!

You can check if your Corolla is pre-wired for fogs. Look underneath your front bumper and you should see the foglight connectors taped up if it is pre-wired. If it is, then all you would need is a 4-pin Micro Relay (Narva 68062BL). The 15A fuse for front fogs should already also be pre-installed. If you buy the ESUSE ZZE foglight kit, it comes with a micro relay.

Let us know how it goes!

- Kenneth

Hi Kenneth,

Yeh the wires are all there ready to go, I will get that kit and an oem stalk and all should work well, will let you know how I go, got to get the money first, just installed an Alpine iXA-W404E head unit, so will start saving up for the fogs.

Thanks heaps for your help and will post something when I get them and install them.

Regards,

Luke.

No problems. Here's a complete list of what you will need to make it all work:

- ESUSE '01 Corolla fog light kit - ~$140 (available from Motoryard on eBay, it includes the micro relay)

- OEM stalk with fog dial - ~$200

.. and that's it. So your total running cost is about $340..

- Kenneth

+1 going with Motoryard @ eBay :)

currently using that kit, though professionally installed with supplied wiring kit eg harness, relay and in-dash switch

longer term, will look to connect via pre-existing factory wires and NEW indicator stalk

do keep us updated

No problems. Here's a complete list of what you will need to make it all work:

- ESUSE '01 Corolla fog light kit - ~$140 (available from Motoryard on eBay, it includes the micro relay)

- OEM stalk with fog dial - ~$200

.. and that's it. So your total running cost is about $340..

- Kenneth

Your a legend, thanks heaps, will keep you all posted on it, and will take pics too, i'm sure i'm not the only one that would like to install fog lamps on a zze corolla.

that is a good price

I had the foglights bought and installed with oem stalk by local toyota dealer. cost for parts which were foglight surround covers , bulbs, the foglights plus relay switch .and the replacement stalk was $562 plus $160 installation, part numbers for the foglights are

Headlamp dimswitch 0400537212

relay 9098702020

covers for front bumper 5212812090 for sedan

5212712150 for sedan

foglights TCO 21061 LH for hatch or sedan

TCO 21061 RH for hatch or sedan

bulbs 9098113075

Screws 93567A5014

You can also go for dearer foglights

Part number is 81221002090 . These are over three times as much as the ones i had installed.

Here is a pic

post-1136-1249847045_thumb.jpg

I'm unsure of the size of the screw, however you can buy them directly from Toyota Parts, they're about $1.10 each last time I checked. They're just taper screws (I think that's what it's called).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
And just a reminder that it is illegal to use your fog lights when there is no fog. It is also a hazard for other drivers at night especially older drivers like me.

Regards

Brian

And this is what's wrong with Australia, turning into a bunch of whining sissies