Dust passing air filter LC200

Dave-W

Hi all

Currently touring Oz in LC 200 VX and Sunland 21'6" Longreach caravan. A recent inspection under the bonnet revealed that dust has passed the air filter element.Initially i thought the dust had passed the sealing surface of the element and top airbox cover as some dust is visible on the underside sealing surface. However closer inspection clearly shows faint traces of dust have passed into and past the element media and is clearly visible on the underside of the engine side of the airbox cover.I have seen this on another website pic's etc and compaints to Toyota Aus. The response was that the dust was within tolerance.

My advise to anyone who has a LC 200 TTD is check the underside of your airbox (engine side).It takes about 1 min 4 clips,lift lid carefully and inspect for faint traces of dust. I would be interested to see if anyone else has picked up on this one as the filter element is of a fairly open free flow fabric. Currently up in Top End dust country searching for better aftermarket filter.

PS. It has been suggested that i fit a snorkel to take air intake up away from dust, good point but have previously owned landcruisers (without snorkels) and have never come across this issue.

Kind Regards to all

Dave-W

• 1 year later...

I was looking at a LC200 in the local Toyota yard recently.

I was surprised to see the air intake for the engine was under the guard in front of the front right wheel. It looked to me that this would be a very dirty and dusty location to pickup air for the engine.

I would strongly suggest to all LC200 owners that they change the intake location to somewhere that clean air can be obtained.

Rgds,

Ken