Prado

Grande_Tony

Thinking of getting a Prado and trading in my Vienta Grande, need to know if the Prado is a good tow vehicle as i have a small 13ft 800kg Poptop Caravan and is petrol better than diesel for towing also is manual better than auto regarding towing.

After having a Vienta Grande it would be hard to come down in luxury, is the Prado Grande a well appointed vehicle and whats the difference between the Prado Grande and the model below i think CSX.

I may have also put this meesage in another section by mistake so apologies to forum moderators as have only just found the Prado section.

Thanks

Tony

i'd be fair ****** if they didnt mate lol.....msg BKS i know his dad had a prado i think but had to upgrade from that when he was thinking of towing for insurance reasons i think....or he upgraded to the prado i cant remember exactly.

I'd be confident it should be fine 800kg is lightweight

Prado will easily tow an 800kg camper. I tow something like that (soft top offroad camper) regularly with my 4.0 V6.

The Grande is very well appointed an in my opinion is right up there in the "luxury" stakes. Not sure of the differences between the Grande and VX nowadays, but the Toyota website will show you. From memory, things like satnav, auto levelling airbag suspension, ride adjustable electronic shockies, cooler/fridge, rear camera just to name a few (VX has leather now).

Check out Prado Specs.

Also noticed that both V6 and Turbo Diesel have a vehicle towing capacity (with trailer brakes) of 2500kg.

Cheers

Edited by michaelweare

• 7 months later...

My 2009 Prado 3.0 litre turbo deisel pulls a 1575 kg boat with ordinary inertia brakes (i.e. not electric brakes) and the Prado doesn't even feel it's there. I suggest that an 800kg campervan would not present a problem. Also remeber that anything being towed that's over 750kg should have its own brakes, even if only inertia activcated ones. Please check RTA regs on this for your own piece of mind. I think most pop top campervans have inertia brakes as minimum. Cheers. Badman.

• 2 months later...

I have just purchased my 5th Prado Turbo Diesel Auto after many years caravanning, during which I also had several 100 Series T/d units. I have found the Auto an excellent Tow Vehicle. My caravans have all been Bogie Axle 18"6" units with an on road mass of around 2.3ton & I have had no problems at all. I understand the Prado Auto does experience over heating of the Auto Trans during very hot weather, but this can be overcome by installation of a separate Trans cooler unit costing around $500. Whilst Toyota Engineers state it is not necessary to fit a cooler to the Prado I have met caravanners who have travelled over the Nullabour during Xmas & who have had a heaps of problems. In the North of SA I also have met Toyota Dealers who claim they have Trans Coolers retro fitted for many clients. If caravanning it's better to be sure than sorry. Having made this point I do find the Prado a very capable vehicle.

I have a 4.0 Petrol GX 120 series, 6 speed manual and tow a rally car on a car trailer (1500-1700kg all up) frequently up into the hills. Even lost the trailer brakes on a trip up to Rockhampton when a rock punctured the brake line. That required a bit of extra pedal effort to pull it all up.

The reverse gear in my manual is too tall, you end have having to slip the clutch alot when reversing the trailer.

If I was to replace my Prado today, it would be with a TD auto, and I hate autos.