How Do I Replace Valve Springs On A 18RC

JOEKA

I need to replace the valve springs in my 81' Corona rt132, but yeah...I don't know what i need to do.

Does anybody have a step-by-step guide on changing them or something?

I'm no newbie to engines or anything...i always have problems with the heads...

Has anybody ever done it before and have some advice?

Any info would help.

Thanks.

Also, whats the best oil to use for one of these engines.

It only has 72,xxx Ks on the clock.

I can see that you're not quite getting an answer here. Unfortunately this board has a large percentage of Corolla owners and also more of the modern cars, so getting specific advice may take a while... if it ever comes at all.

If you plan to change the springs, maybe the seals while you are at it, you can get by with just your basic tools required to work around you engine (such as a socket set, spanners, etc), and then it would also help to have an air compressor, and a valve spring compression tool.

Once you have removed the rocker cover and all bits and pieces between that and the valves, removing the valve springs is pretty straight forward. Basically you remove the spark plugs, turn the engine so that the cylinder you are working on is top dead centre, then you apply compressed air into the cylinder at around 75psi or there abouts (through the spark plug area). This will keep your valves pushed up against the top of the head so that you can go ahead and remove the valve spring without dropping the valve into the cylinder. Drop the valve into the cylinder and then you will need to remove the head.

Yeah i thought i'd need a compressor...

ok thats the removal...what about the installation...

Do i need a dial gauge or anything?

Any clearance specs i need to know about?

and so on and so on...

Hence my first couple of sentences. I was only giving general advice. If you wanted some pointer with a little more depth, you can just Google for them, such as this, but as I said, you may be waiting for a while if you want engine specific instructions.

G'day JOEKA,

I prefer to use a soft rope in place of a compressor, less noise, better feel and less chance of dropping a valve, remove spark plug and feed the soft rope into the hole coiling it as you go, then bring the piston up till you feel resistance, remove the valve springs by tapping a suitably sized socket on top od the valve spring cover so the collets can pop out and remove the old spring.

Hope this helps.

Yeah i thought i'd need a compressor...

ok thats the removal...what about the installation...

Do i need a dial gauge or anything?

Any clearance specs i need to know about?

and so on and so on...

You will only need to check/adjust clearances if you change valves, cam or it is out of adjustment.

Save copying specs from else where this site lists the clearances, http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/eng18r.htm

Thanks for the help peeps...

So where's a good place to get the parts i need.

What parts do i need anyway...

I know i need some seals but which seals?

Any gaskets, or gasket glue, lubricants also needed?

I'm a fitter/ turner/ welder...im mechanically minded.

I'll give it a go, but i just don't want to make a mistake and have to tow the car to my mechanic...or something like that.

So i just want to be 100% sure to what i'm doing exactly.

I can't comment on the specifics of the 18R. But the ZZ engines require a dab of FIPG at both sides of the valve cover-chain cover-head interface as it has a seal on the valve cover and is needed to ensure a proper seal.