airbags on a 96camry

sikwitit

hi every since i got my kit and 19s my car has changed from everyday driver to a pain in the ***** i cant get over speed humps with out scraping cant get in my driveway with out scraping cant getting in some shops and this is with my car standard ride height so im thinking i might bag the camry so i can have it low for shows and when crusing on the freeway and have them up when it comes time for speed humps driveways shops etc.

but the kits in aus are quite expensive i got a quote of 7000 for the parts installation and enginering certificate i dont have 7grand for this but i have looked on the internet and have found a kit from the states for the camry and its only 1900 american so if i get that and get the airbag place to install it it will be a bit cheaper but what i want to know is this kit legal in nsw and is it just a straght swap over?

here is the link http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/fbs-toy-05-kit3.htm

sean

then howcome so many people have them installed and drive them daily

sean

Speeding is illegal. Then how come there are so many people out there that speed?

Driving with fog lights on in clear weather conditions is illegal. Then how come so many people out there drive with them on?

Exact same logic.

Edit: On a side note, I got the states mixed up. I think it is illegal everywhere BUT NSW. You need to have a kit that is engineered to be within certain guidelines. I think it would cost upwards of $7000 as you have mentioned.

My statement should have been along the lines of "I don't think any aftermarket bolt on air bag kit for your car is legal."

Lots of daily drivers are illegal - just that they havent been defected. You'll need to speak to your local RTA and ask them. And how is it that you are on standard height but stills scrap? I'm on coilovers and I dont scrap much...

Lots of daily drivers are illegal - just that they havent been defected. You'll need to speak to your local RTA and ask them. And how is it that you are on standard height but stills scrap? I'm on coilovers and I dont scrap much...

the kit i have is the cb from carmate and it sits very low the main problem is scraping my driveway i can get over most speed humps and get to most places the part that is scraping is the bottom of the front bar dont want to wreak a good looking kit was going to put coilovers in the camry and lower it abouta inch 1/2 but cant if i want to get in my driveway.

sean

I don't think any air bag kit modification to your car is legal, especially in NSW.

then howcome so many people have them installed and drive them daily

sean

The Gen 3 Camry was designed with its stock front bumper on the sloped angle for a reason, that is one of the many reasons i dont like that kit, sticks out like a snow plow. But as for the airbags, consult an engineer...seriously do it, will save you heaps of cash for having to undo work that doesnt pass.

thanks trent going to ask the rta and get a enginner advice morrow then go talk to the airbag people if not i will build ramps so i can get in my driveway and just lower the car and avoid speed humps lol

sean

Sean,

Do you go over the speed bumps on an angle? you'll need to go over slllooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lol...

Been in a car, lowered, kit, 5 people in the car... we did it ever so slowly doing it this way... didn't scrape at all. Only time we scraped was around 80km/h and going over some sudden slopes... hit bump stops and scraped on the back LOL was fun.

d00d,

I barely stepped foot in NSW, let alone know where you're talkin about LOL!

I been to Byron Bay twice for Auscam Annual Camp in December? Hahaha

I spose having a decent looking car has its disadvantages ay? Parking in right angle carparks... speedbumps... gutters... potholes... people in the back... etc etc.

lol thats a problem but i think with bags it will help it out cause u can get bags that raise the car higher then standard so i can have that extra to get over bumps and up my driveway

got a qoute of 4850 from probag 2day but thats just parts and install not enginnering and self leveling kit

sean

You will need the self leveling kit if you wanna get the car engineered...

Give Tubular suspension a call and see what they can do for you as a package :)

gave tubular suspension a call they want 8grand for bags which is parts install enginnering

sean

gave tubular suspension a call they want 8grand for bags which is parts install enginnering

Well you gotta pay if you wanna play.

Tubular charge a little more but he does everything in house... Machines up all his own strut bases and so forth... Not just throw together kits bought from overseas...

And then you also have the advantage of being fully legal and engineered so you'll never have cop troubles... I know a fair few guys that have got bags installed at Tubular and they've all been 100% satisfied with his work...

Have a shop around, see what others out there have to say and make your decision...

You already know what I think but its your money and your choice...