MCV20R upgrades (newbie questions)

bruin83

Hey All,

Quite new to all of this and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction ie: previous post, member I could chat too....

But was wondering what would be worth upgrading on my camry?

I was looking at installing a cold air style intake or maybe change the headers, usual beginner stuff and just was looking for some advice

It all depends on budgets. Is your car auto or manual? In terms of performance mods, there arent much for our cars. Exhaust and CAI will give you some extra power but nothing huge.

If you want power, the best and cheapest way to make big power would be to pick up a supercharger kit from the states.

I'd actually look into the handling side of things first. Our v6s make decent power stock, but handles like a land barge. Get the Whiteline rear sway bar to get rid of all the understeer. Then you can look into the springs and shockies.

Agreeing with Anthony on that one...

These cars have nice engines. Not bad output for a V6 honestly... but they'd be more like a "point and shoot" type of car.

I found that just going from 15 inch rims to 17s with a lower profile has made quite some difference... also swaybars help too, decent shocks, springs... going straight from a stock car into one with all these mods... makes the Camry feel like a sports car from driving one :)

Things like CAI will do stuff all really... negligible. I'd be just dropping in a K&N Panel filter... If you can get ahold of one of the tuned y pipes from the states (unlikely, but can always try), have been told these can help a bit... Anthony has one on his car.

TRD Supercharger is your only luck for some nice power... good luck :)

Here you go!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRD-Supercharger-Camry-Solara-V6-1mz-92-01-99-03_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_t

rksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem1e5790c4d1QQitemZ130318124241QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ

fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRD-...sQ5fAccessories

And Adam, our US contact knows the person and car.

Edited by STYLSH

Here you go!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRD-Supercharger-Camry-Solara-V6-1mz-92-01-99-03_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_t

rksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem1e5790c4d1QQitemZ130318124241QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ

fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRD-...sQ5fAccessories://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRD-...sQ5fAccessories

And Adam, our US contact knows the person and car.

you may know about this. how the hell did they adapt that supercharger for the gen 5 ts01 concept? all the s/c setups i've seen are for gen 4. obviously it doesnt easily fit in gen 5 due to the structural layout

you may know about this. how the hell did they adapt that supercharger for the gen 5 ts01 concept? all the s/c setups i've seen are for gen 4. obviously it doesnt easily fit in gen 5 due to the structural layout

It will fit your gen5 as well as it does an Australian gen4. I had fitted one of these superchargers to my old gen4 before I sold it to and fitted it for STYLSH on his gen4.5. I was going to install it on a gen5.5 Sportivo I had bought for that very reason but then I was able to get a TRD Aurion instead.

Being a kit designed for a LH drive car the main issue is that the brake master cylinder needs to be modified for a remote reservoir and in the case of gen4.5 and gen5/5.5 the PCV needs a simple mod to clear the supercharger. Other then that it is a fairly easy install.

Hell, it even fits the Gen 3 Camry here in the US with the 1MZ-FE engine, lol.

Actually, it fits the Gen 3 3VZ-FE too, lol. Just needs a few mods. But it actually bolts up perfect to the 3VZ. :)

It won;t work on most of the Gen 5's int he US because they had VVT-i. The non VVT-i ones should work.

Hell, it even fits the Gen 3 Camry here in the US with the 1MZ-FE engine, lol.

Actually, it fits the Gen 3 3VZ-FE too, lol. Just needs a few mods. But it actually bolts up perfect to the 3VZ. :)

It won;t work on most of the Gen 5's int he US because they had VVT-i. The non VVT-i ones should work.

Adam our gen5 came with the 1mz without VVTi. No 3mz for us in the Camry.

Oddly, the Gen 5 here from 2002-2003 didn't have VVTi, but the 2004-2006 did. I don;t know why they changed it really. I;ve still yet to actually see someone use the 1MZ TRD SC on the Gen 5. It'd be pretty cool to see someone do it there.