camry sv21 fuel tank capacity, fuel warning light range

Agent001

hi all,

does anyone know the capacity of a camry sv21 fuel tank. is it 60 litres or somthing.

also, does anyone know how far you can drive when the fuel warning light comes on before you run out of petrol. i've seen other posts on this topic on this forum for other cars, and it can range from 50 to 150kms.

Working off my memory alone, I think the SV21 does have a 60 litre tank. The fuel gauge on mine was getting worse as it's life went on and by the time I got rid of it (16 years old), it was saying it was empty when there was 15-20 litres left in the tank. Originally though, it was saying empty when there was about 10 litres left which seems to be the standard among most Toyota's. I used to only drive it around 20-30kms after hitting empty on the gauge, but if you calculate your actual fuel consumption, you can get an indication of how far you can drive.

• 11 months later...

My sv21 had a pristine cluster so the fuel was accurate. Once (when I got caught with my pants down fuel wise) I pulled a 100k trip with the fuel light glaring. I did however slow right down to optimum revs (around 2000) and it was a cold wet day, and I coasted down all of the hills. So if your careful and you have good conditions you can get pretty far! My manual stated a 55l tank however Once filled from bone dry the pump stated >60l.

The specifications say 60 litres. I have always found the fuel gauge to be a very non-linear affair. After filling up it hardly moves beyond the "F" line for about 150km. Once it passes this it moves fast. The fuel light comes on with about 10-15 litres left. I have gone very close to empty, and the gauge was pointing just to the right of the top-left corner of the "E"

I used to only drive it around 20-30kms after hitting empty on the gauge, but if you calculate your actual fuel consumption, you can get an indication of how far you can drive.

Answer to that = FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER hahaha. this reminds me of that top gear episode when they were running on empty redlight for hours and hours.

Jerry boy's v8/v10/v-whatever jag had a huge tank, and when he stop, the top gear dudes found out there was still plenty in reserve...it just wasnt funni.

I used to only drive it around 20-30kms after hitting empty on the gauge, but if you calculate your actual fuel consumption, you can get an indication of how far you can drive.

Answer to that = FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER hahaha. this reminds me of that top gear episode when they were running on empty redlight for hours and hours.

Jerry boy's v8/v10/v-whatever jag had a huge tank, and when he stop, the top gear dudes found out there was still plenty in reserve...it just wasnt funni.

Running out of fuel is generally not a good thing to happen to a car (most user manuals state that you shouldn't run the car after the light comes on as damage can occur to the catalytic converter - myth or otherwise it is still a good practice, although they usually say you shouldn't push-start the car either for the same reasons), so it makes sense to have a gauge which always errs on the side of caution - if the low fuel light came on and then 10 minutes later you ran out, it would be pretty useless.

The other thing is that it allows for inaccuracies in the readings of the gauge itself - if the gauge always reads emptier than it really is, then a slightly inaccurate gauge will still show less than there really is - it is called "aiming off" in navigation and refers to a practice where you deliberately aim for a target off to the side of where you want to go, so even if your aim is slightly off you still know what side of the target you are on

hi all,

does anyone know the capacity of a camry sv21 fuel tank. is it 60 litres or somthing.

also, does anyone know how far you can drive when the fuel warning light comes on before you run out of petrol. i've seen other posts on this topic on this forum for other cars, and it can range from 50 to 150kms.

Not sure, that I understand the year of your camry. In my 2000's fuel tank capacity is 70 liters, when 10 liters left I have warning light on...

Edited by banzai