SV21 Camry AM/FM Radio

Dave T

I have recently purchased a 1 owner SV21 Camry in excellent original condition (11/87). It replaces one that was written off a couple of years ago. It has the original AM/FM radio cassette player (Philips CS205A/TEN Model no CE-6330) as pictured in the owners manual (CS model) and whilst AM works FM is just static noise. Thinking it was broken I managed to find an identical unit from a wrecker and plugged this one in only to find exactly the same problem. Also replaced the aerial and tried it in differing areas in case it was a signal problem but to no avail. Is there something I am missing in trying to program in the FM stations. Any ideas would be appreciated. Surely I haven't got 2 broken receivers and 2 aerials that are no good!!

I have recently purchased a 1 owner SV21 Camry in excellent original condition (11/87). It replaces one that was written off a couple of years ago. It has the original AM/FM radio cassette player (Philips CS205A/TEN Model no CE-6330) as pictured in the owners manual (CS model) and whilst AM works FM is just static noise. Thinking it was broken I managed to find an identical unit from a wrecker and plugged this one in only to find exactly the same problem. Also replaced the aerial and tried it in differing areas in case it was a signal problem but to no avail. Is there something I am missing in trying to program in the FM stations. Any ideas would be appreciated. Surely I haven't got 2 broken receivers and 2 aerials that are no good!!

could just be your luck..... :blink:

Its not the equipment thats faulty that obvious lol, what you should do is plug an antenna directy into the signal slot at the back of the unit...if it works then faulty wiring between the head unit and the antenna at the back is your problem

Edit:

I just looked over circuit diagrams, and it looks like theres two wires that are both for antenna signal, im guessing one is AM and the other is FM. The FM wire must be snapped somewhere

Edited by Sanctuary

I have connected the antenna into the socket on the rear of the radio where it would normally be connected. I have done this with 2 identical radios and 2 antennas and swapped one with the other and got the same result each time, all the local AM stations but FM is just noise. I'm not sure what you're referring to by plugging the antenna in at the back of the car to the right of the trunk. I didn't realise there was a connection there!

My mistake mate, i didnt realize you were talking bout an 87! Im so used to toyotanation forums where models are grouped and assumed urs was a 3rd or 4th gen! Sorry.

Here's a wiring diagram for yours...not a diagram exactly but its what i could find

http://www.modifiedlife.com/car-stereo-rad...7-toyota-camry/

But what i was getting at was that there might be 2 wires for the antenna, one for FM and one for AM...so if there was say a wire that connects the antenna to the head unit, and u havent checked that wire then its prolly that. Im still lookin for a proper wire diagram for ya, ill post it when i get it.

My apologies again!!