Sum Basic Question

hey im just wondering if anyone could answer these following questions thanks

1. if iam driving an auto car on D and inorder to get more revs or just to go faster i put it on 2 or L/1 would that damage anything in my car ?

2.are cold air intakes legal in VIC ?

thanks

post-712-1113900896.jpg

the only reason why u would put it back into 2 or 1 is to stop it from shifting past that respective gear number. doesn't make u move any faster or make any more power. and it's prolly faster if u just put ya foot down and let the auto kickdown and select the best ratio for acceleration. if u shift the auto manually often, needlessly more wear and tear would occur in the system. this isn't just for a performance aspect, for example, shifting to Neutral everytime u are at the lights, imo, is not needed unless your foot is tired from start stop traffic.

I wouldn't advise using 1st or 2nd on the Auto. Like Shao said, just put your foot down and the auto will kick down to the appropriate gear itself. When overtaking on the highways and you need rapid acceleration, you can shift down from 4th (Overdrive) by pressing the button on the shifter.

Cold Air Intakes are legal in Victoria - However: You can't have an exposed oiled filter element in the engine bay. If your filter is in the Engine bay - It must be somehow fully enclosed from the engine. Otherwise if the filter is actually outside the engine bay ( like the set up for the TRD / AEM CAI's ) and behind the bumper - There's no need for it to be covered.

most automatic transmissionn these days are pretty intuitive. they usually select the correct gear for the correct situation. although there is a slight delay between every gear change, it's usually pretty good.

The main reason you would need to manually select a gear is for compression braking downhill so you don't overheat your brakes. or when you suddenly slow down while hill climbing and the engine is no longer in the correct gear.

i often run 6,000 at 110 km which is the 2-3 gear change. i rev it most of the time.

manually changing the gears in auto is good on twisties. you coming up to a corner you press the o/d button so there is my grip because this engages 3rd and if it is a hair pin you can push it to 2nd.

without doing this the car stays in 4th until you power out of the corner and entering a twisty corner in 4th is dangerous for spinning out because it is too loose.

for take offs just let the auto do its own thing.

from letters i have read from the epa you can have cold air intake in vic but it must be dry non-oil filter.

if you get the trd cai you can use the included filter as your front bar has extra room for it to fit.