Bluetooth MIC or Temperature Sensor?

Hey guys,

I am in the process of looking at getting the Eclipse AVN726EA In Dash GPS Unit. For the bluetooth it uses, it has a separate MIC that needs to be installed somewhere in the car.

I was wondering if the MIC can be put behind this little vent where the map lights and sunglass holder are in the ZRE Corolla?

Or if that little Vent is being used as a Temperature Sensor or something?

Take a look at the image:

img0188s.jpg

One side is sealed closed, and one is open.

I know on the Corollas Stock Bluetooth, the Bluetooth MIC is actually in the Headunit itself. So is this vent left over for bluetooth mics for overseas models or something? Can I use it?

Post your thoughts.

In the Aurion, the stock head unit with bluetooth has the microphone mounted in that position.

If you have nothing behind it, then why not just mount the mix there. No harm in trying.

Does anyone have a guide on pulling this apart?

There must be some way, because you will need to pull it apart to get the globes in the Map Lights when they blow one day...

has this been mentioned on other threads in the past?

Does the Aurion have the same maplioght/sunglass holder thing?

Does the Aurion have the same maplioght/sunglass holder thing?

I don't know about yours but the Aurion is held in with two clips. It's that simple to remove, I can even take it off with just my hands. This is how the Aurion one comes out:

boxf.jpg

It is quite possible that yours is similar.

One thing im abit stumped on. is how you are meant to put the wire from the top of the roof where this map lights are (if this is indeed an empty spot), down to where the headunit will go?

does anyone have an idea?

img0189d.jpg

looking at that image, will the cable need to follow the roof and windscreen meet at the top, then move down the A piller into the dash, then into the headunit?

One thing which is also abit concerning is the fact that the curtain airbags are in the A piller too?

Edited by Pauly

looking at that image, will the cable need to follow the roof and windscreen meet at the top, then move down the A piller into the dash, then into the headunit?

One thing which is also abit concerning is the fact that the curtain airbags are in the A piller too?

You got that right. That would be how you do it.

As long as you tie it to the A-pillar away from the edge of the curtain airbag, you will be fine. There is only a small amount of curtain airbag protruding into the A-pillar and is easy to avoid. The only issue you will run into is that the cover on the A-pillar doesn't exactly come off completely. It is secured at the top with a permanent clip that needs to be cut to remove. It will still 'pop' open a good few centimetres or so and is really flexible so you can work around it.

The reason for that clip is so the pillar cover can detach a little bit to let the airbag through, but not completely so it doesn't fly off and injure someone.

Just spoke to my local Toyota dealer (Nunawadding Toyota) in Melbourne.

Spoke to a guy in Pre Deliveries. He informed me that the little vent is indeed blank with nothing in there. It is left over from a bluetooth setup you can get in Japan.

When they fit the 'Genuine' Toyota GPS Unit, they dont put the MIC in there normally apparently. But he doesn't see any reason why you couldn't put it in there.

He also recommended I look at the Eclipse Units.

The only thing concerning me now, would be how long the MIC Cable is, and if it will reach!!! are the extension leads if need be?

Edited by Pauly