Clutch Scrapping Sound

I am a new comer from Hong Kong and would like to know more about the clutch scrapping sound of my Runx (Corolla Sportivo). What is the cause of the problem and can the problem be solved completely by replacing TRD clutch cover and plate and Tom's flywheel?

I know exactly what u are talking about ET8. My car is still having the same noises. Scraping noise when gearing down or engine braking. It's just came back from Toyota yesterday and still not fixed yet. They reckon they can't fix it. They have done a gearbox overhaul , replacing synchros, replaced clutch, changed to tranny oil to synthetic. Some mechanics say they can't hear it but some can. It's been back 3 times. I now have to wait for the warranty manager's decision on what to do next. I'm not sure why it's doing this and why not many others have this problem.

I also have a knocking noise when braking now. Very loud on the front left. It's only when braking and normally when it slowing down to say 20km/hr - 5km/hr.

It's so harsh that u feel it on the brake pedal. Toyota just sprayed some brake knock oil and said it's OK. The problem is still there! The guy also said they might not cover it under warranty as I lowerred my car and changed wheels. But I can't see how that can effect the brakes. :angry:

I have this issue and have changed to trd clutch & toms flywheel and this does not solve your problem.....

So while it doesnt appear to be breaking anything i have no choice but to live with it.....

As toyota is not prepared to do anything else as they believe its my driving......

Bill let me know if you get anything out of toyota that fixes it.

cheers

Bill

i think xoom has taken this issue to toyota and they threw it out they think it could be the spring dampeners in the clutch plate??

you'll have to ask him for the full spec.

i have excedy racing clutch and cover plate and it hasn't fixed it just comes and goes as it pleases with nil detriment to performance

I have another finding and want to share with you all.

There was no scrapping noise from my Runx in the last winter and everything was normal. But when I turn on the a/c during hot weather, scrapping noise comes afterwards. I guess it maybe because of the heat from the cooling fan. Hot air blows directly onto the clutch and heat it up. It leads to expension or something. I am going to cover up the clutch and gear box with heat insulating material to see whether there is some improvement. Maybe it is a stupit thinging but no harm to try. The scrapping noise is really annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend, I was trying to DIY a hard front engine mount to see whether there is some improvement for the clutch scraping noise. However, there is NO improvement but it is really beneficial in smooth gear shift and faster engine response. If any guy has the problem of gear shift, I think it is worth to try if you don't mind there will be a little more vibration. It costed me only HK$20 for the material. Besides, please share the solution for the clutch noise problem if anyone find it out at last.

The follow link discuss the hard engine mount:

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread...?threadid=90430

• 2 years later...