To Sportivo or not?

Hey I sold my 34 a lil while ago and have been looking for a new car.

Been thinking about getting a Sportivo but since I've been between cars...I've kind of been liking money in my bank account, so I'm thinking of spending less and getting an Ascent, Conquest or Levin hatchback. Also extra monies would be handy to have especially when I have a girlfriend dead set on going to travelling the globe.

I have my eye on one at a dealer in Brisbane, 2003 Levin Hatch 104,000km Manual with sunroof. And I like sunroofs!

Just wondering what sort of things I'll be missing out on if I 'downgrade' from a Sportivo.

So far things I'd miss would be the vvtL-i engine :( , leather trim, climate control, sportivo rims and Red illuminted dash.

But the Levin seems to have a white illuminated dash. How does the engine go on these models? I notice on the tacho it redlines at 6,000rpm. Oh and if I got a non sportivo I doubt I would even put an exhaust

So can someone give me some extra info between all the models please?

-Kim

I have an 07 ZZE Levin and love it, part of me would love a sportivo but you would be surprised how well the vvti does with exhaust and CAI attached.

I would suggest getting an 05 Model of whatever you buy as it will be 'easier' to sell when it comes the time due to it being a later shape.

good luck!

I only recently bought a sportivo mate and they are awesome to drive, very spartan on fuel and have plenty of power for driveability. I havent driven the newer corollas so i dont know how they compare to them sorry.

I only recently bought a sportivo mate and they are awesome to drive, very spartan on fuel and have plenty of power for driveability. I havent driven the newer corollas so i dont know how they compare to them sorry.

OK cool, what model did you get?

A few other things? Do all 2003+ corollas have a timing CHAIN? Because a few I'm looking at are hovering about 100,000km where a timing belt change would normally be due.

And any feedback on what models offer features such as ABS, Dual Airbags, power windows etc?

Hmm what car to buy, so confusing, because Im also looking at GC8 WRX's! One path leads down sensibility and better runing costs/fuel, where as the other one would be very FUN to drive everyday but not as good fuel econ etc. Think WRX's have about 9-10L/100km.

Edited by sickular.

i got a 2003 model, its using about 8.5 per 100 at the moment, and ive heard that WRX's are more like 12-14 litres per 100

i assume it has a timing belt but i think they are done at 60 and 120 thousand kays

OK cool, what model did you get?

A few other things? Do all 2003+ corollas have a timing CHAIN? Because a few I'm looking at are hovering about 100,000km where a timing belt change would normally be due.

And any feedback on what models offer features such as ABS, Dual Airbags, power windows etc?

Hmm what car to buy, so confusing, because Im also looking at GC8 WRX's! One path leads down sensibility and better runing costs/fuel, where as the other one would be very FUN to drive everyday but not as good fuel econ etc. Think WRX's have about 9-10L/100km.

I drive a 2005 sportivo and think it's a really great care.

Bought it cause i had a baby boy so was loooking for a family car plus power so opted for the sportivo.

very happy with it. in regards to sportivo and other models theres not much difference mainly the engine is different. and add bodykit on the stivo.

but again it's what your most happy with.....

I have my eye on one at a dealer in Brisbane, 2003 Levin Hatch 104,000km Manual with sunroof. And I like sunroofs!

How much is it going for? Based on that maybe ppl can be able to let you know whether it is worth it or not? or even how much extra you can pay to get something better. :-D

So far things I'd miss would be the vvtL-i engine :( , leather trim, climate control, sportivo rims and Red illuminted dash.

hey,

also to let you know that all of the lower models under the Levin, do not come with power windows, abs, and dual airbag... only drivers airbag. Plus lower models miss out on bodykit and some miss out on a rear spoiler.

the base model ascent does not have the rear boot trim and door handles colour-coded

the conquest does have colour coded trims.

The ascent sport is colour coded with a rear spoiler.

The Levin comes with colour coding and all the extras... so basically the Levin is the highest of the 1zz series.

If you want LIFT, get a 2zz ;)

Evo

100kw V's 141kw

easy decision in my eyes.

if power is what he is after then don't get a stivo

there are plenty of high power cars for that price

main difference is the engine, climate control and the safety features

all have crappy interior which you would have expected from a toyota

How much is it going for? Based on that maybe ppl can be able to let you know whether it is worth it or not? or even how much extra you can pay to get something better. :-D

Well I had a chat over the phone, and got the impression I could get it for $13,000 Drive away (stamp duty, 6months rego) and has a 5yr $3000 warranty (probly not worth the paper its written on though) which I thought was a fair deal considering its from a dealer. And there is stuff all Levin's for sale. Full of ascents, but... screw them. I aint buying no bottom of the range corolla!

-Kim

Hey bro just wondering... WHY DID U SELL THE 34 was it a GT-R, GT or a GT-T???

It was a GT-T, fast, but as it was a tiptronic it was'nt as fun to drive as a manual. Drank fuel like a drunken irish sailor. And I've now realised that I'm a 4 cyl man.

100kw V's 141kw

easy decision in my eyes.

if power is what he is after then don't get a stivo

there are plenty of high power cars for that price

main difference is the engine, climate control and the safety features

all have crappy interior which you would have expected from a toyota

High powered cars like the WRX I'm looking at! Its got a sti turbo, Haltech ECU, 3" TBE and a FMIC (which I didnt particularly want tho - cop magnet) which is putting about 180kw to the ground! Thats goin for about $11,000. And it should have about 9.5L/100km as it has aftermarket engine management. Lack of an ECU is the main reason some wrx owners get such crappy fuel economy. (that and their lead foot)

High powered cars like the WRX I'm looking at! Its got a sti turbo, Haltech ECU, 3" TBE and a FMIC (which I didnt particularly want tho - cop magnet) which is putting about 180kw to the ground! Thats goin for about $11,000. And it should have about 9.5L/100km as it has aftermarket engine management. Lack of an ECU is the main reason some wrx owners get such crappy fuel economy. (that and their lead foot)

That's all well and good, but keep in mind, a lightly modded sportivo wont have much trouble keeping up to those higher powered cars, mainly since it is such a small car with so much go :P

And you are forgetting that you wanted a Sportivo in the first place lol :P

Evo

your comparing two totally different cars , an 11k modded wrx sounds like a wonderfull and joyfull car to own if your keen on spending dosh every 2 seconds and as you say having attantion from people, if you don;t need to leather and the drivetrain don;t buy a sportivo but in that case if you don;t want power , don't buy the rex or the stivo buy the levin

your comparing two totally different cars , an 11k modded wrx sounds like a wonderfull and joyfull car to own if your keen on spending dosh every 2 seconds and as you say having attantion from people, if you don;t need to leather and the drivetrain don;t buy a sportivo but in that case if you don;t want power , don't buy the rex or the stivo buy the levin

Yes, buy a car that YOU would thoroughly enjoy driving anytime you are on the road :D

Its not up to us to make the decision, its YOU! :toast:

Evo

I'll probably get flamed for this...... but having drivin both I'd say a WRX putting out 180kw atw would eat any 'lightly modded' sportivo.

But yes the way I see it:

Sportivo: My ideal choice as it has economy, good power, love the leather interior styling. But all those for sale are to expensive for my budget

WRX: Got to say I love the wrx rumble and would love driving this thing anywhere. I know that fuel economy is worse, but it's not that bad. If Subi Evolutions tells me its a great car after inspection then I reckon its a steal at $11,000, and couldn't pass it up. I know that parts can cost more but hey, ur driving a WRX!

Levin: Economical and cheap to maintain. Would save more money because I would not mod it, except for maybe stereo. But would make me feel like I'm out of the 'cool car club' lol.

But anyway the thread was for Sportivo vs Levin, Conquest, Ascent comparisons, which it seems has most things covered.

Any thoughts on wheather the Levin I'm looking at is a good deal?

Thanks all for the info so far! :-)

Edited by sickular.

I'll probably get flamed for this...... but having drivin both I'd say a WRX putting out 180kw atw would eat any 'lightly modded' sportivo.

agreed. i was waiting for someone to pick up on that. the sportivos are quick, but not that quick

regarding the price of the levin, i would say that $13000 driveaway is right on target for an '03 model with 104,000km from a dealer (too much for a private sale though). but you can always talk them down or get a couple of perks

Edited by lateralus

it still comes down to why you want what and whats better for you at the end of the day , it's like saying ohh yeah i wouldn't mind buying the ferrari but , that suzuki swift does have it's perks - your comparing two totally different things mate , if your into skylines the rex is definatly for you :lol:

QUOTE (GTL05T @ Aug 12 2009, 05:15 PM)

QUOTE (sickular. @ Aug 12 2009, 03:43 PM)

-Kim

Hey bro just wondering... WHY DID U SELL THE 34 was it a GT-R, GT or a GT-T???

It was a GT-T, fast, but as it was a tiptronic it was'nt as fun to drive as a manual. Drank fuel like a drunken irish sailor. And I've now realised that I'm a 4 cyl man.

I just wanted to ask why did u even bother gettin a R34 TIP TRONIC GT-T in the FIRST PLACE??? LOL!! I wouldve got a manual.. LOL!! Sportivos are HOTT BRO i didnt know about them wen i bought my car n that was about almost 2 yrs AGO... If i knew about them i wouldve got one instead of my ZRE.. I LOVE MY ZRE THOUGH!!!