If only it was manual....TRUENO AE-111

Found a car I would probably buy......22,000km's.....$8,990!!!!!! IF ONLY IT WAS MANUAL

http://cars.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-TRUENO-AE-1...emZ200373499439

I've seen these cars b4 but never really gave them much attention, now I'm looking for a new car I'm a little more interested....

So I did a quick search on the old interwebs and couldn't find much.

Im guessing they put out about 120kw and weigh like nothing? Good combination.

Looked on car sales and most of them with MORE K's are like $12,000-$16,000, there was one which was $10K and Manual but didnt look at nice as the ebay one.

So yeah can you guys provide any more info on these? And wheather they are typical Toyota build quality and do things like "rev out to 9,000rpm"?

And if parts and such would be a hard time to get.

Thanks

They have around 120kW at the flywheel from factory and I'm guessing would weigh around the 1200kg mark...

As far as I know they are of good build quality and parts aren't too hard to get, just need the time to search for them... Yahoo Japan Auctions, Just Jap, SSS Automotive, Yahoo NZ Auctions, etc, etc, etc...

Not sure of the rev limiter but I know it's not 9000rpm and definately not in an auto...

Basic specs on the AE111 BZ-R is 1080kg, LSD, 160Nm, 120kW. However there never was a BZ-R in auto. Ask for the frame number, it'll be something like this: GF-AE111-BCFVF (this is the frame number for the BZ-R) if the bold letter is a 'P' then it came from the factory as an auto. If it ends in 'ZF' it's only a BZ-G.

they're factory rated at "165ps@7800rpm" for power and 16.5kg-m@5600rpm for torque. In reality if you put on on a dyno dynamics dyno in Australia it will push out a power figure anywhere between 85 and 93kw atw. Similar to a 1zz corolla.

I'd be VERY cautious about purchasing one with an indicated 22,000km, the low km dash clusters get snapped up quite quickly on yahoo auctions in Japan ;)

You'd want to pull the valve cover off and inspect the valvetrain for it's condition and sludge build up, that will also give a good indication of it's service history and real age. for 22,000km it should look brand new, with no tarnishing or discolouration at all. It should be perfectly clean bright alloy, a well-serviced engine will still look new under the covers at 100,000km. All PCV hoses etc should also be very soft and like-new aswell, not hard and brittle.

Also check the colour of the coolant, should be toyota red, the green coolant is garbage in these engines. There should also be a sticker somewhere in the bay showing the date and KM's the coolant was flushed given the age of the vehicle.

If something requires replacing, be prepared for a decent service bill. The superstrut suspension equipped models cost the most to do balljoints etc on. Also be prepared for a wait if you need a windscreen replaced.

IMO they're worth less than $10K, a lot less for an auto. The 5-speed BZ-V's had LSD as an option (on the plate the transaxle id will be C56-04C) and LSD was also optional on the BZ-G's etc. Transaxle ID's that end in A are open diff, C are lsd. Superstrut cars usually have LSD in my experience.

They're a fun car but I do prefer the torque and potential of the AE101 GTZ myself (remove supercharger, install turbo, easy 130-150kw atw...)

Here's the factory sales brochure which might be usefull for you:

http://www.purcellperformance.com/Tech/ae111trueno-a.pdf