Kluger or tarago

pengruijun

Hello everyone, I am new in this forum.

I have a big family. My parent live with me. I and my wife have 2 kids, one is 4 years old and one is new born baby. So totally 6 persons.

Currently, i am looking at mpv for my family. my first eye is on the new tarago. (8 seats, 4 cylinder Gli, rrp $50000).

Just last week, I take my new corolla for the first service. I saw the 2009 Kluger in the showroom. I looks better than tarago, and cheaper than tarago. (2wd kxr 7seats).

So I want to ask whether or not someone have the same situation as me and what is the most consideration? is the kluger's room enough for my family?

I only drive 40 km to work every day and plan to have couple of long distance holiday every year?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think the Kluger will be roomy enough for your family holidays, unless you get roof bars and a cargo pod (or tow a trailer). Six people in the Kluger around town will be fine though.

The Kluger's third row seats are not as capacious as the Tarago. Legroom in the Kluger's third row may be an issue on long drives if you kids are teenagers or older. So the Tarago would be better for the holidays. I drove a Tarago for a week on holidays a year ago, and I recall that the third row seat slides on rails. So you can choose the best legroom/luggage space compromise for your situation.

But overall the Kluger will be more enjoyable for your daily commute.

If you want to stick with Toyotas, there is also the option of the Avensis (seven seats, compared to Tarago's eight seats). Third row seats in the Avensis have more legroom than the Kluger. The third row seats have adjustable recline and individual "fold flat". The Kluger & Tarago don't have this. Very good seating flexibility! And there is heaps of luggage room behind the third row. This is because the space saver spare wheel sits outside the car beneath the front passenger seat. But, unlike the Tarago, the Avensis third row is not on rails. Plus the Avensis body shape has been around since late 2001, so they are getting a little old now. There was an Avensis upgrade around 2004 with a minor facelift and increase in engine size from 2.0L to 2.4L. I used to have a 2002 model with the 2.0L engine and it was enough for me. The Avensis looks big, but is shorter than a Camry.

I don't think the Kluger will be roomy enough for your family holidays, unless you get roof bars and a cargo pod (or tow a trailer). Six people in the Kluger around town will be fine though.

The Kluger's third row seats are not as capacious as the Tarago. Legroom in the Kluger's third row may be an issue on long drives if you kids are teenagers or older. So the Tarago would be better for the holidays. I drove a Tarago for a week on holidays a year ago, and I recall that the third row seat slides on rails. So you can choose the best legroom/luggage space compromise for your situation.

But overall the Kluger will be more enjoyable for your daily commute.

If you want to stick with Toyotas, there is also the option of the Avensis (seven seats, compared to Tarago's eight seats). Third row seats in the Avensis have more legroom than the Kluger. The third row seats have adjustable recline and individual "fold flat". The Kluger & Tarago don't have this. Very good seating flexibility! And there is heaps of luggage room behind the third row. This is because the space saver spare wheel sits outside the car beneath the front passenger seat. But, unlike the Tarago, the Avensis third row is not on rails. Plus the Avensis body shape has been around since late 2001, so they are getting a little old now. There was an Avensis upgrade around 2004 with a minor facelift and increase in engine size from 2.0L to 2.4L. I used to have a 2002 model with the 2.0L engine and it was enough for me. The Avensis looks big, but is shorter than a Camry.

The Mother in law love's her Avensis :) small bus

Edited by PC XT

Agree. Kluger back seat is ok for short trip, but anything over 30 minute is a pain. Going to air port is fine though, but putting all the suitcases in is a challenge and last time the suit case has to be under the child seat and in the "corridor".

My mum can just get into the back seat, because I have 2 young kids in child seat they have the get to the back via the middle empty "corridor" (seat taken out). It is not fun.

But when you have over 5 and under 15. They can go at the back and it is comfortable 7 seater.

Your new born will be in a baby capsule, which will need to go in one of the mid-row passenger seats, meaning an adult will need to sit in the back row. If you're other child is 4 and still requires a car/booster seat they will need to sit in the mid row too, putting both adults in the back. Probably alright for around town but not long holiday drives with the kluger.

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I know it is so hard to make a decision. I just feel no good to pay over $50000 to buy a 4 cyl no alloy wheel tarago. The tarago is not worth that money.

Kluger is attractive one. But It looks not enough to use the third rows for adult.

MM~~.

Having moved from a 2004 Odyssey to a Gen 2 Kluger, I would suggest the Odyssey is no better than the Kluger as a people mover in terms of space. Like Kluger, 3rd row in Odyssey is fine for pre-teenagers, but not for teenagers or adults. Also, neither has much boot space when 3rd row is raised.

Biggest plus for Odyssey vs Kluger is handling.

Biggest minus for Odyssdey vs Kluger is lack of power - especially when towing. And Odyssey is very ordinary on gravel roads compared to Kluger AWD (as one might expect).

Thanks, everyone.

It does not matter to suggest any other make car, liking the honda odyssey.

The odyssey was in my list before, because I can find a lot of articles about the best people mover for it.

In my opinion, It looks like a lady car. I will feel strange if a man drive that car. :lol:

Thanks body and any more suggestions are welcome.