boots with spoilers

wilbur94

The torsion bar for the boot lid on the Aurion is usually set at 2/3. You can bump this up one more notch as that's as far as it will go, but I have found that it won't get it to open all the way if you have a spoiler. Over time as well, this tension will be lost then you will be back at step one again. Only other way is to remove it and reset it's torsion. Not sure about that process though. I think you use a blow torch for that.

I posted a DIY on the American forums, but will re-post here:

or you can just adjust the factory torsion bars...............
How?

Sorry to revive a kind of older thread, but while I was tidying up in my boot today, I thought I would see if I can make my boot pop up higher. Because I have a spoiler and a heavy number plate, my boot barely even pops up above the latch. I had a look to see if I could make any adjustments without buying anything extra, then I remembered that useless quote from njerald saying to adjust the torsion bars, but not stating how for everyone else.

So this is what I did, just in case anyone wanted to try this first.

Firstly unhook the torsion bars from the retainer in the centre of the boot area:

dsc03571.jpg

dsc03572r.jpg

Then fold back or remove the carpeting from the side of the boot and look for the hole where the torsion bar slots into:

dsc03573m.jpg

Then pull the torsion bar out and move it to a higher hole. Going higher increases the tension, going lower will reduce it:

dsc03574.jpg

Repeat this on the other side, then place the torsion bars back into their retainer like in step one, and you should now find your boot lifting up with a little more strength. Depending on your case, this may improve it enough so that you don't need to get that rubber strap.

I didn't want to go for the strap idea because of the way that it pulls on the linkages for the boot. Over time, I worry that it may affect the way the boot opens as the arms would get slightly bent under all the tension from the straps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
The torsion bar for the boot lid on the Aurion is usually set at 2/3. You can bump this up one more notch as that's as far as it will go, but I have found that it won't get it to open all the way if you have a spoiler. Over time as well, this tension will be lost then you will be back at step one again. Only other way is to remove it and reset it's torsion. Not sure about that process though. I think you use a blow torch for that.

I posted a DIY on the American forums, but will re-post here:

or you can just adjust the factory torsion bars...............
How?

Sorry to revive a kind of older thread, but while I was tidying up in my boot today, I thought I would see if I can make my boot pop up higher. Because I have a spoiler and a heavy number plate, my boot barely even pops up above the latch. I had a look to see if I could make any adjustments without buying anything extra, then I remembered that useless quote from njerald saying to adjust the torsion bars, but not stating how for everyone else.

So this is what I did, just in case anyone wanted to try this first.

Firstly unhook the torsion bars from the retainer in the centre of the boot area:

dsc03571.jpg

dsc03572r.jpg

Then fold back or remove the carpeting from the side of the boot and look for the hole where the torsion bar slots into:

dsc03573m.jpg

Then pull the torsion bar out and move it to a higher hole. Going higher increases the tension, going lower will reduce it:

dsc03574.jpg

Repeat this on the other side, then place the torsion bars back into their retainer like in step one, and you should now find your boot lifting up with a little more strength. Depending on your case, this may improve it enough so that you don't need to get that rubber strap.

I didn't want to go for the strap idea because of the way that it pulls on the linkages for the boot. Over time, I worry that it may affect the way the boot opens as the arms would get slightly bent under all the tension from the straps.

watch out adjusting tension, when you open the boot in windy conditions, the corners of the bootlid will come in contact with the rear window. mine has done this a couple of times and it worries me that it will break the glass ! <_<