Missing oil tank flap o_0''

mslun

Just earlier when I was filling up my tank. I realized the flap (the round metal flap in the tank filler neck) has gone missing... (or do we actually have one? I'm pretty sure there was one b4...) I'm now worrying I might pushed it in into the tank with the oil gun.........and possibly will cause damage if that really was the case.....Is it actually possible? Should I ring Toyota up and have them to look at it before driving it again? Damn I'm now panicking...heeeeeeeelp... :o

Just earlier when I was filling up my tank. I realized the flap (the round metal flap in the tank filler neck) has gone missing... (or do we actually have one? I'm pretty sure there was one b4...) I'm now worrying I might pushed it in into the tank with the oil gun.........and possibly will cause damage if that really was the case.....Is it actually possible? Should I ring Toyota up and have them to look at it before driving it again? Damn I'm now panicking...heeeeeeeelp... :o

I had that same panic before when it was once mentioned on the American forums. I swear I had one before, but that came down to the memory of my previous Camry. The Aurion doesn't in fact have a flap there to start with.

Toyota Nation: Metal tab inside gas fill area

Actually, funny this was brought up. I had to fill up just then and had a look and noticed that mine is no longer there. I swear that there used to be a metal flap there. Chances are that I was responsible for breaking it though. Sometimes when filling up, the pump seems to trip constantly preventing me from holding the pump lever all the way. In those cases I move the nossle around trying to find a better position. This could have led to it breaking.

But yeah, quite funny that I have the same problem as you eh. Probably a design flaw.

After asking the question and having people check theirs, no one could come across the flap. I don't think it is there to begin with. It's just one of those things we are used to I guess.

For the sake of double checking, I stuck my finger into the filler neck and felt around. There was absolutely nowhere for a hinge to sit. Was completely smooth inside. Did feel something soft towards to top about an inch in :lol:... I know what you're thinking; that's just sick. No joke though, the only thing in there was the ventilation hose in said position. Now I've got the smell of petrol on my fingers and cant wash it out.