Seat belt beepers

brooklyn

How do I disable the seatbelt beepers. <_<

Put your seatbelt on :P

Seriously - I work on a road safety issue and when you look at the road fatality data over the last 50 years the most significant change which reduced fatalities was the introduction of seatbelt laws in 1972.

I was at a recent road safety meeting in SA and they said seatbelt laws are starting to get ignored especially in rural areas. They claimed 50% of rural road fatalities are now due in part to failure to wear a seatbelt.

They annoy me as well - but at least they don't chime when you are reversing at low speeds like my wife's Volvo.

Edited by Hado

I would like to know this as well, shall look at the link... The reason for me is during the times I am out in the bush, I may get out every five minutes for getting images of birds.

Due to the areas I go, I am well off the road and usually the only one around.

It is a pain to have to put the belt on for a few hundred metres, or have it so it is belted up behind you.

Peter

hmmm... i dunno if it works. but what i normally do if im moving car from one parking lot to the other, i just put the front passanger seat belt to the drivers one. This only works if theres no one else with u. lol . i keep doing this, works for me lol

I'm an advocate for wearing seat belts...however I can see that in "some" instances - out in remote areas where you are conistantly getting in & out of the car it may prove a nuisance.

Obviously most manufacturers are not going to build in a feature that caters for 1% of users, however as a possible solution perhaps if you went to a wreckers, or one of those yards that let you dismantle cars yourself (like pick-a-part in Melbourne), you could grab a seat belt, cut the actual belt and just take the clip part. Surely most recent Toyota seat belts use similar clips/restraints ??

This way you could leave the clip in your glovebox (or centre console) and whenever you needed to you could pull it out and clip it into the seatbelt restraint.....freeing you and stopping the beeper.

Just trying to think outside the square....

Dave

I'm only speculating here as I have no real knowledge on the issue, but it is my understanding that airbag systems adjust their deployment parameters depending on whether the occupant is wearing a seat belt. I believe this was the manufacturers' response to avoid being sued in the US market where a large portion of people don't wear seat belts. The kluger could be configured the same, given it is sold into the US. If this was the case then I'd think it may potentially be unwise to trick the ECU into thinking the seat belt is engaged. As I stated at the start I'm only speculating, and just throwing it out there for someone who knows a bit more to respond to.

Maybe to solve the problem you could find the speaker that produces the alarm and disconnect it, or fit it with a disable switch?

Edited by Kesawi