RAV4 in snow

c32kompressor

Hi guys,

I just relocated from Perth to Canberra as I have a new job. Took my Rav last weekend to Perisher (about 200km from Canberra). These are the snow fields and they just had a fresh batch of snow. In some parts, where it was quite icy it got pretty scary as the posiibilty to get stuck was pretty high. Especially if you were parked and then wanted to take off.

Does anyone know if the tyres pressures need to be adjusted for icy or snowy conditions. I usually keep the tyres at 35-36 psi. I know in WA, on the beach I would deflate the tyres to about 20 psi.

:)

• 1 month later...

Did anyone see the appalling test between the RAV4, X-Trail, and (I think) CRV that was part of the very first Top Gear Australia? They took the cars onto snow, and all three were sliding all over the place, no grip at all. Then they fitted all cars with "snow tyres" and the problems seemed to disappear. I don't know exactly what "snow tyres" are (as for that, I'm not really sure what "snow" is!! :-)) but they seem to talk about them a bit on US forums.

Did anyone see the appalling test between the RAV4, X-Trail, and (I think) CRV that was part of the very first Top Gear Australia? They took the cars onto snow, and all three were sliding all over the place, no grip at all. Then they fitted all cars with "snow tyres" and the problems seemed to disappear. I don't know exactly what "snow tyres" are (as for that, I'm not really sure what "snow" is!! :-)) but they seem to talk about them a bit on US forums.

snow tyres are bigger tyres then the ones that comes out of the factory or those retail place...u have order those tyres from aftermarket places

they're usually wider and their psi is usually around 10-20psi giving the driver more control of the vehicle.