AE82 Twincam

jaderd

yeah there is never enough space in garages :(

hoping to have then cleaned up and on for the cruise on the 25th July.

i grabbed some of the big work lights from bunnings, 2 X 500w on a stand, should be able to bring the skirts and surrounding air up to around 20 degrees so can paint them ok in garage.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

good **** mate , those kits arent easy to find and from SSV are some crazy price... not sure if they even still do them etc! took me the best part of 5 years to get the lip and then the skirts, there is also a rear lip you may have seen!

rubbed back the skirts today, and have fixed up the slights cracks, awaiting it all to cure so can rub back and prime/paint.

also gave car a quick wash in between sanding and added tow stickers and the solid blue battery sticker, few pics below

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

found two spare rear mudflaps i had so painted them white ready to match skirts, they came out ok, going to get scuffed no doubt reversing at times anyway

and the side skirts have been trial fitted....look great, so now i just have to do a final sand to make sure happy with everything, then can clean them down and get some primer and paint on. Still deciding whether or not to go over with a final coat of clear, am using the powerplus brand paint and it only really states to go over with 2-3 light coats of clear when its metallic paint....dont think ill bother as the whole car isnt that bright so would rather leave it without clear to match car better.

All done,

skirts & Mud flaps have 4 coats primer, 3 coats of Peak white and all the parts that are likely to get hit with rocks and debris (every area of mudflaps)have 2 coats of epoxy white to hopefully make it a bit stronger.

Putting them on went well, no real hiccups, two spots that had slight cracks that i repaired both slightly cracked again on install....not really noticable as gets hidden behind rear door pod part, basically closing of the rear door was the issue, driver side i actually adjusted to door hinge bolts to allow a bit more room, passenger side didnt need hinges adjusted......i guess its tricky with fibreglass and how tight fitting it all is.

Very happy with the end result though, especially for my amateur efforts, there are some uneven parts where i didnt rub back filler that well etc but all in all im happy with the result as i wanted it all done for tomorrows TOCAU cruise.

The car is starting to get the look i want...really love the side of road lip works well black while sideskirts and rear flaps nice and white.

Also went around car with a little touch up paint brush and touched up around 20 spots from little scratches and scuffs on bars

Next really is to drop in the king lows i have ready...will prob just drop these around the stock shocks that are in there currently. Some pics below

P1040205-1.jpg

P1040204-1.jpg

P1040206.jpg

P1040211.jpg

P1040210.jpg

P1040208-1.jpg

P1040209.jpg

P1040207.jpg

Edited by jaderd

cruise day went well.

we did around 500kms over the whole day (7am meet and 5pm home)

good mix of cars, mine was second oldest.

What i found from this particular cruise.

Love the IRS

Set rear sway to stiffest setting

Need wider tyres, some slippery bits of road and 185's really didnt cut it, gotta get into gear and finish off the other rims i have which have ok 195's on them

drop in my king lows to get it a little closer to the ground.

P1040254.jpg

2 generations of 4age goodness

P1040250.jpg

Great Weather majority of day

P1040249.jpg

P1040242.jpg

P1040237.jpg

2TG power

P1040233.jpg

P1040229.jpg

ixw3yc.jpg

4izx45.jpg

Edited by jaderd

• 2 weeks later...

just thought id suss out a q's with you all.

GOR cruise i hit a massive pot hole with front left.....didnt notice anything wrong until cruising home on freeway from geelong at around 100kmh wierd vibration feeling like out of balance tyres but was not that, went away when slowed down etc so figured it may have even been the new front lip vibrating catching air etc.

Then over next week or two didnt really drive car ..did one JDMST outing and felt fine, slight vibration on freeway

Then on cruise yesterday all fine no dramas even hitting 130-140 etc then hard braking.......but then when cruising home back on straight road humming along at 100-110 etc vibration back and more intense if slowly turn wheel to right (only slight still remaining in my lane but enough to put pressure on wheel etc) mass vibrate.

Got home last night inspected front left wheel and i can wobble it !! havent pulled the wheel off yet but will this week, if i grab the top of wheel /tread with both hands and push toward engine and pull towards me i can move it a decent amount...drivers side is fine, hence im guessing that this where the vibration is coming from.

Off top of head before i investigate further anyone have any ideas?...fair sure it could be a number of things as i havent investigated further yet.

Cheers

hmmm...not as sever as this but this is basically what my car is doing (havent jacked it up yet so may be this severe)

hopefully i just miraculously find the hub nut loose although unlikely i think

timing isnt so bad though, no cruise days planned for a bit and i want to drop in my king lows so was heading down the track of pulling some bits apart.

From reading best case is buy bearing for $50 ish, take hub and all off and drop off at mechs to press it in straight and correct sleeve used etc as hell hard at home and can bugger the bearing.

Edited by jaderd

From chatting with a mate and getting under the car it seems clear that it is just the wheel bearing....or hub nut as havent had wheel off yet.

tell me what you think

Edited by jaderd

I would personally do all the bearings at once , theres no point doing one and not that other , even do the fronts one week and the rears the next or something mate. It makes a considerable difference with older high mileage vehicles.

Cars looking nice but i'd like to see it lower!

ive got the king springs ready to go....just need to organise a time for uncle evil to help me out and guide me through the process :) will be happening in the next week or two hopefully, car isnt used daily so doesnt really matter how long it takes. Mick has said previously its piece of ***** and doesnt take long.

Thinking now i just order the whiteline rear camber bolts aswell so then once bearings done, springs in and camber bolts in ill take it to get realigned and setup with some decent caster toe and camber

Yeah i agree i would rather do at least the front 2 at same time....

Edited by jaderd

well, i grabbed big socket on fiances old man, ripped off right wheel cap and checked the wheel nut...solid and tight,

went to the left wobbly wheel side, popped off cap and before i went to undo it and take hub off to replace wheel bearing i thought id test that it was already tight...tested the nut...i was able to give it nearly 1 full rotation then leant on it to tighten it right up, wobble went away instantly.

Of course the simplest test was never really tested originally although i was hopeful it was that all along.

upside is dont have to do bearing at moment and have two spare sitting at home for when they actually go.

downside....could have spent the $115 on other stuff.

happy and semi annoyed at same time

cheers

Haha sometimes we work things up to be worse than they are :P I've count of the number of times i've spotted something or heard something in my car and immediately thought the worst. At least you have some bearings to fit when you get bored!

• 4 weeks later...

small update.

Grabbed seat cheap a while back, customed some stock rails and put it in

& 290mm rear mirror with LED lights on bottom strip and on two little folding arms on the sides as "map" lights...uses 3 AAA batt.

Cheers

Seatinstalled.jpg

bigmirror.jpg

• 2 months later...

not much lately....been slack and other priorities.

finally got around to taking off the 3 to 4 layers of paint that were on the rims i bought way back in February i think it was.

2 litres of paint stripper later and many hours of fiddly sanding and picking at bits of paint they were ready for a test fit before paint.

15X6.5 +38 offset, has 195/50/15 all round, all kuhmo, 2 have around 50% and 2 have around 80%.....tyre age is a bit old though ....4 and 6 years.

before i put them on the car i will drop them off and get 2 replaced.

a few pics below....fit fairly well, is about a 5mm gap to rear struts....zero scrubbing at moment but its still 4wd height so once springs in will prob need to roll guards a little.

primer is on, then putting on black....supposed to then wait 7 days to cure before clear but ill give it 4 days and do it friday night.

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg