94 camry what size speakers?

outback

hey.. so me and a mate are about to re wire and put new speakers in my 94 camry..

not sure on the size of the ones in the front doors? does anyone know the stock size?

but the rear ones are 6x9

there is a real bad paper rattle so time to replace!

thanks

Edited by outback

4 - 4 1/2 inch mate.

If you want, make door pods and put in some 6 1/2 inch speakers.

And dude, make sure they're decent speakers, lol... the rear ones? you won't be able to hear them over the rears. I put my tweeters in the A pillar on the door... sounds awesome.

This will come in handy too...

If you run your own cable and you're not sure which speaker wire's which, I get a AA battery and touch the Pos and Neg onto each wire with the speaker connected and you'll hear the popping coming out of the speaker - bloody useful trick :)

post-5978-1256030525_thumb.png

4 - 4 1/2 inch mate.

If you want, make door pods and put in some 6 1/2 inch speakers.

And dude, make sure they're decent speakers, lol... the rear ones? you won't be able to hear them over the rears. I put my tweeters in the A pillar on the door... sounds awesome.

This will come in handy too...

If you run your own cable and you're not sure which speaker wire's which, I get a AA battery and touch the Pos and Neg onto each wire with the speaker connected and you'll hear the popping coming out of the speaker - bloody useful trick :)

awesome thanks :)

yeah well the speakers that are in there at the momment still give pretty good bass hey.. but the front left and rears just shake and rattle, the mate who is helping me is pretty smart with the car electrics.. ill make sure i print that out when we get around to doing it!

just put a head unit in my car acuttaly..

he mentioned a split system or what ever with the tweeters.. i was a bit iffy with that do they get in the way? could you post some pics of yours??

thanks

21jdl3t.jpg

54ybd0.jpg

Edited by outback

Haven't got any pics as of yet... tried rifling through other Toyota forums for my pics, but nope.

Basically, make some door pods if you want, or get some really decent 4.5 inch speakers with 1 inch tweeters. The A pillar (or A Sail) is the triangular piece on the inside of the door towards the front. You can take that off and make a hole in that to mount your tweeters. The sound difference between coaxial and component speakers are huge and I'm always gonna pick the component speaker setup. You can put the external crossovers behind the door (if there's room).

You gonna be running an amp?

Haven't got any pics as of yet... tried rifling through other Toyota forums for my pics, but nope.

Basically, make some door pods if you want, or get some really decent 4.5 inch speakers with 1 inch tweeters. The A pillar (or A Sail) is the triangular piece on the inside of the door towards the front. You can take that off and make a hole in that to mount your tweeters. The sound difference between coaxial and component speakers are huge and I'm always gonna pick the component speaker setup. You can put the external crossovers behind the door (if there's room).

You gonna be running an amp?

hmm yeah putting the tweeters in the triangle black bit sounds better then putting them on the top of the door

i was debating weather or not to run an amp.. do you run an amp?

Oh ***** yeah - amp's the way to go.

I'd suggest running all 4 off the head unit for the time being. Installing an amp isn't something that you just "add on".

If you were to run an amp... just for the 4 speakers... get a nice 4 channel amp, run a 2 gauge cable from the battery to the boot and install it there. You'd run the power cable down the left side of the car (passenger side) and you'd push the cable through the same loom that goes into the firewall right behind the glovebox.

I ran my RCAs down the right side of the car - the opposite side of the car. You don't want the power and RCAs running the same route otherwise you'll get electrical interference. both the cables go right along the side of the car and come out under the rear seats straight into the boot.

I'd use a 1 x 2 gauge Neg cable to earth the amp straight to the chassis. The reason why I'm talking really thick cable here is if you want to add an extra amp down the track for a sub. You'd then put a distribution block (like a Y splitter) on the end of the main 2 gauge power cable and have 2 x 4 gauge power cables straight to the amps, both with 2 gauge earth cables.

A couple of points I'll make:

- No, the cabling isn't overkill.

- Yes, you might want to replace the battery terminals with multiple input terminals. Stinger make awesome products... I use two of those, works great.

- You might wanna run an extra earth cable off the battery to the chassis. Moreso a peace of mind. I had extra 4 gauge cabling lying around and did it.

Sony havd 2 and 4 gauge cabling kits that you can buy off the shelf just for this. Would set you back around 150-200 bucks for the kit.

Any questions - let me know.

Oh ***** yeah - amp's the way to go.

I'd suggest running all 4 off the head unit for the time being. Installing an amp isn't something that you just "add on".

If you were to run an amp... just for the 4 speakers... get a nice 4 channel amp, run a 2 gauge cable from the battery to the boot and install it there. You'd run the power cable down the left side of the car (passenger side) and you'd push the cable through the same loom that goes into the firewall right behind the glovebox.

I ran my RCAs down the right side of the car - the opposite side of the car. You don't want the power and RCAs running the same route otherwise you'll get electrical interference. both the cables go right along the side of the car and come out under the rear seats straight into the boot.

I'd use a 1 x 2 gauge Neg cable to earth the amp straight to the chassis. The reason why I'm talking really thick cable here is if you want to add an extra amp down the track for a sub. You'd then put a distribution block (like a Y splitter) on the end of the main 2 gauge power cable and have 2 x 4 gauge power cables straight to the amps, both with 2 gauge earth cables.

A couple of points I'll make:

- No, the cabling isn't overkill.

- Yes, you might want to replace the battery terminals with multiple input terminals. Stinger make awesome products... I use two of those, works great.

- You might wanna run an extra earth cable off the battery to the chassis. Moreso a peace of mind. I had extra 4 gauge cabling lying around and did it.

Sony havd 2 and 4 gauge cabling kits that you can buy off the shelf just for this. Would set you back around 150-200 bucks for the kit.

Any questions - let me know.

I got the kit from JB for like $70 and it was thick as hell...not kidding the fuse was about 120amps of memory

another thing that annoyed me was the headunit i used only had 2 rca outputs, which were designed for just a sub....i ran all my speakers of my amp which ment that i was only getting the rear signal not the front, if that makes sense....

Yeah - that'd suck.

I have 3 x RCA inputs on my HU, so I got Front, Rear and monoblock whenever I want. I'm currently running the fronts and the sub (bridged) on a 4 channel Earthquake amp with 130w RMS from EACH channel :P

if you are only runnin speakers amped, usually 8 gauge plenty, 2 gauge is f**king overkill, even if a add a moderate sub, would be more money and trouble than its worth for a setup like that. However if you are planning on taking the setup further down the track, plan ahead and do the wiring kit and get it done out of the way

awesome thanks for all the help..

going to take the front doors apart tomoro morning..

run a new power cable.. and will head down to mach 1 / repco to check out speakers..

still half decided not to do the tweeters

any recommendations?

Edited by outback

Umm... after putting in splits in the front - MORE MUSIC. Technically speaking, it's great to have the higher frequencies played properly.

I'm only going from my experience anyway. Trent is right, it's overkill, but anyone that knows me will also know that I'm very much "better off safe than sorry". The 2 gauge cabling you'd only use if you were going to run 2 x amps down the track.

If you have any other questions - fire em at us :P

The door trim is a force to be reckoned with... once you know how it's done - ***** easy.

There's like, a horseshoe shaped clip that holds the window winder on. I normally just get a cloth and slide it upwards right where it connects to the door and lift it up (moving the cloth side to side) and then the horseshoe clip comes off.

There's screws in the handle, on the outer side of the door trim and at the base in the compartment where you can put stuff in.

Refer to this thread on TN:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264887

There's images that'll help you outline where the bolts are. You WILL need to take the housing off the interior door handle... don't need to touch it other than that.

old crappy speaker :S

29ntspk.jpg

10217_1230571415296_1559439709_30621914_5791276_n.jpg

10217_1230571455297_1559439709_30621915_3817143_n.jpg

will be putting fusion 6x9 in the rear tomorrow

alpine sd 4inch in the front :D

vid of the old speaker

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

(dont know if the video code worked lol)

Edited by outback

Nice one - good to see you got the door trim off in one piece :P

But you went coaxials?? Oh well... I doubt you're gonna notice much difference between the speakers, besides slightly less bass issues. They're rated for 55w RMS, 170w PMPO... so if you're gonna leave them hooked to the HU, make sure you take the bass outta them (nothing under 100hz at LEAST, if not 120hz). You'll destroy the cone otherwise, lol...

The rear stock 6x9s are simply awesome... upgrading them (never liked Fusion one bit, but they're just opinions at the end of the day) - drop all the bass into them mate. Before I had a sub, I had a friend ask where I put my sub, coz he couldn't see it in the boot :P

Good luck :)

yeah the door came off in one piece.. thankfully lol

heck yeah, the stock 6x9 give sooo much bass its crazy

well out of mach 1, super cheap, and repco, the alpine 4inch sounded the best..

and the fusion 6x9 acuttaly sounded better then the clarion etc etc and they gave really good bass, i allways thought fusion was a try hard brand >.> unfortunately the fusions were not in stock.. so had to order them in.. and was told they should be here tomorow.. hopefully!

Nice one.

Oi, pad up the rear deck where you can. I got some thick **** padded tape and filled the gaps where my speakers were meant to be sitting... you won't get them flush like the original speakers. I ended up using the original 3 bolt speaker thing and pop riveted the speakers onto that... works like a champ.