Upgraded Sportivo Rotors

Adamsy

Guys has anybody had much luck tinkering with the rotors on the Aurion? I’ve noticed that whilst at first the pedal feel is quite strong it always quite quickly goes spongy under spirited driving and that happens a fair bit in TAS on our back roads mmm targaaa lol

Has anybody got a set of DBA rotors on their cars? Either from the street or 4000 series range?

Also as a side note I’ve looked on the computer and it seem the rotors and callipers off the TRD car would fit straight on with not much drama at all. Actually looking though the entire TRD catalogue there actually isn’t that many differences between the Sportivo and TRD car.... <_<

You should really check out my signature or venture outside of the Aurion boards :P

I will answer the second statement first:

Actually looking though the entire TRD catalogue there actually isn’t that many differences between the Sportivo and TRD car.... <_<

Yeah, not many differences, but doesn't make it easier (or cheap for that matter) if you were to buy every single different part and then fit it :lol:

With the TRD brakes, they are a direct swap over. Even some guy in the States picked up a set of genuine TRD Aurion rotors and callipers and fitted them to his Gen 6 Camry (TRD Brakes Kit on the 2007 Camry). He mentioned he payed $488 per corner, which I would presume is in US dollars at the time he bought it. If you wanted to go this route though, I'd suggest to get some RDA rotors for the front like Ash (SecaBoy) and then some genuine rotors for the rear plus the callipers all round. Then use an aftermarket brake pad like EBC or Hawk. This would give you the best overall value. For more information, you can have a look here:

TRD Aurion brake options

And now for the first question. I'm not quoting out of rudeness, just doing this to make it cleaner. This has reminded me though that I have not yet updated the FAQ's to account for this. I will do that a little later and I have now updated the FAQ's to cover this:

Well while I sit here and have a bite to eat while some things cool down for a bit, I thought I would provide an update as to what is about to happen. Nothing too fancy, but something I have needed for a while:

DSC04146.JPG

DSC04147.JPG

Okay, so after fitting the rotors, performing the initial bedding in, going for a Cheap Tuesday movie, then going for some gentle driving, I have to say that I have never been more satisfied with using money towards my car.

My old rotors were seriously baked. I'm shocked at myself that I didn't resolve this earlier. The rotors still need some time and distance to bed in fully so I haven't gone crazy with them yet. All I can say is for all the braking I usually do in a typical drive, it feels so damn smooth. It doesn't surprise me though considering the condition my old rotors were in. The difference is MASSIVE. Anyways, here are some pics for the fun of it:

First we start with the old:

DSC04148.JPG

After many minutes spent swearing and getting numerous stares from my neighbours when I couldn't remove one rotor, I finally found a bolt with the right thread so I could 'pop' off the old rotor:

DSC04149.JPG

Old vs. New. The old rotor is just shocking, and the new one is just sexy:

DSC04150.JPG

DSC04154.JPG

That 'debris' shield had to go. I think it's what cause my last one to lack decent cooling:

DSC04156.JPG

DSC04158.JPG

After cleaning the mating surface of the hub, the new rotor is fitted and looking so much better:

DSC04160.JPG

The end result. Much better than before:

DSC04170.JPG

What did you pay for those Daryl? Because I found the X Drilled and Slotted 4000 series are actually special order only... I'd like to see the difference in price :P

I opted for the slotted only because I plan to push these pretty hard down the track and don't want to risk damaging them. I've heard the cross drilled ones are only for Street Use.

Anyways, I managed to pick them up for a whopping $220 a piece. Definitely not a friendly price, but my old rotors were FUBAR and I can't really put a price to safety.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks heaps as always.

Are you happy with the 4000series set up? i thinking of putting the exact same rotors on my car (keen to stay away from cross drilled rotors, heard to many bad stories) then paint the callipers red, make them stand out in the black rims should add a nice touch i think.

You’re not wrong about the TRD parts. Whilst they mostly bolt straight up there is huge costs involved in doing so. The Cost of a TRD Bake package isn’t too bad and i would like the bigger rotors to fill those rims and offcourse the bigger calliper with TRD on them would look great but I’m just not sure.

Looks good on that Camry in the link you posted, i like his cheekiness in putting the 2GR-FE Supercharged Rocker Cover on his car too lol :P it’s a wonder there isn’t more Aurion’s getting around with it.

Are you happy with the 4000series set up?

Extremely happy. There are times when I'm driving around Nebo though and on the extreme downhill section I tend to get pretty ****** off when I run out of brakes while the Evo X etc all get away from me, but at the end of the day, it's just an Aurion. I can't expect miracles when using the same rotor and pad size.

But as an upgrade, they are WELL worth it.

LOL you play with EVO X's? Guess it's not to hard to make the fat ****d 1800plus kg SS's look a bit silly on the twisties, FWD and all :P

yeah your spot on whilst your running standard sizes you cant expect huge differences in performance so that's why i'm a bit 50/50 atm in which way to go. Might just have to flip a coin on it lol

LOL you play with EVO X's? Guess it's not to hard to make the fat ****d 1800plus kg SS's look a bit silly on the twisties, FWD and all :P

yeah your spot on whilst your running standard sizes you cant expect huge differences in performance so that's why i'm a bit 50/50 atm in which way to go. Might just have to flip a coin on it lol

he keeps up with evo x's :P

so that's why i'm a bit 50/50 atm in which way to go. Might just have to flip a coin on it lol

Well if you don't plan on going to the track to try and set records or doing extreme touge runs.... then the stock rotor size will be sufficient. After that, it's up to you if you want to spend more on something you will not take advantage of.