3sge blacktop

mart3y

Hey,

I new to the whole engine swap thing, but i'm looking at purchasing a 1994 or 1996 MR2, and because i'm a P plater i cant drive a turbo

so i was looking at dropping in a beams 3sge blacktop to get more performance out of it.

I have someone who can do it for me, i just dont know if that engine with actually fit directly into the engine bay and if it does fit,

do i need to get one with a transmission or do they bolt directly onto the stock 3sge transmissions?

as you can probably tell i dont really know what i'm talking about here so some help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Martin

Hey,

I new to the whole engine swap thing, but i'm looking at purchasing a 1994 or 1996 MR2, and because i'm a P plater i cant drive a turbo

so i was looking at dropping in a beams 3sge blacktop to get more performance out of it.

I have someone who can do it for me, i just dont know if that engine with actually fit directly into the engine bay and if it does fit,

do i need to get one with a transmission or do they bolt directly onto the stock 3sge transmissions?

as you can probably tell i dont really know what i'm talking about here so some help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Martin

It will all fit in fine, you will need the engine, loom, ecu, etc... basicly a whole half cut.

The transmissions are compatible as well.

IMO you will be wasting your time doing it, a 3SGE beams is a very expensive engine, and then there is the cost of the swap, etc.

also, in QLD at lest you cant do engine swaps that require a mod plate on your p's.

the 3SGE is a good engine, if you did some pretty basic mods to it you would be able easily get more performance from it.

Save your cash and once you are off your p's do a 3sgte swap.

Hey,

Cheers,

Martin

It will all fit in fine, you will need the engine, loom, ecu, etc... basicly a whole half cut.

IMO you will be wasting your time doing it, a 3SGE beams is a very expensive engine, and then there is the cost of the swap, etc.

also, in QLD at lest you cant do engine swaps that require a mod plate on your p's.

the 3SGE is a good engine, if you did some pretty basic mods to it you would be able easily get more performance from it.

Blacktop BEAMS is RWD remember, so there may be a bit more work required - redtop BEAMS might be a better option as it is transverse layout in both the ST202 and SW20.

Hey,

Cheers,

Martin

cheers for that, and your probably right, if i can find the right MR2 i'll probably just wait till my opens.

and as for the mod plate i was gonna register it in Dad's name to get around that, still probably wouldnt get me out of trouble where i live though lol.

and as for the cost of the swap, i can get that done for free if i have the engine and everything else (dad can do them).

the 3sgte swap was initially the plan when i hit opens, but i wanted something while i was on my Ps, so if i can get some other mods happening that will get me reasonably close to that

with a normal 3sge i would be pretty happy.

Hey,

Cheers,

Martin

Blacktop BEAMS is RWD remember, so there may be a bit more work required - redtop BEAMS might be a better option as it is transverse layout in both the ST202 and SW20.

yeah that is a good point, the blacktop may require a east-west sump, oil pickup, etc... maybe different mounts and stuff too..

the redtop would be a better option if you were going to do it.

regardless though, it would be an expensive swap (moreso than a 3sgte swap) and you would not net that much of a power gain from it.

Hey,

Cheers,

Martin

yeah that is a good point, the blacktop may require a east-west sump, oil pickup, etc... maybe different mounts and stuff too..

the redtop would be a better option if you were going to do it.

regardless though, it would be an expensive swap (moreso than a 3sgte swap) and you would not net that much of a power gain from it.

yeah, after pricing more MR2s its looking more like an engine swap will be a no go till i get off my Ps.

but in that case, what would be some decent upgrades to do to the stock 3sge?

Just be sure to check the laws in your area regarding modding and P's. I can't remember all of the details and maybe someone can make better comment than me, but in Victoria at least I believe it recently became illegal to substantially modify an engine in such a way as to increase the power output while on P's, unless it's somehow justified by your line of work or something.

Just be sure to check the laws in your area regarding modding and P's. I can't remember all of the details and maybe someone can make better comment than me, but in Victoria at least I believe it recently became illegal to substantially modify an engine in such a way as to increase the power output while on P's, unless it's somehow justified by your line of work or something.

He's in QLD - no engine swaps unless it's the exact same engine, or was offered in that model (but still not turbo or over 200kw).

IE. CA > SR into a 180SX is cool as long as you upgrade the rest of the car with the later bits.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to be a little off topic but where do you even find red top 3sges i remember when i was thinking about doing the same thing last year i just couldnt find any. aw11 red top would be a great p plate car :P shame its not legal.

Sorry to be a little off topic but where do you even find red top 3sges i remember when i was thinking about doing the same thing last year i just couldnt find any. aw11 red top would be a great p plate car :P shame its not legal.

Halcuts from import places (you want late-model ST202 SSII or SSIII Celicas, or late SW20 MR2s), a few engines crop up on eBay every now and then too.