Parts and Labour Costs for A Major Job on Camry V6 Vienta

K8Canb

I am looking for some advice, please help

I need some idea about approximate cost of parts + labour the following items in 1995 Toyota Camry V6 Vienta VDV10 with 3VZFE motor, which has now clocked 210000 kms. I live in Canberra where the prices are ridiculously high. As I often visit Sydney, I could get the job done in Sydney. Please aslo suggest couple of places (dealer or private workshops) who do good work for a reasonable cost. I am looking for the following replacements:

Timing Belt

Idealer pully and associated bearings

Water Pump

Cam shaft, Oil pump and Crank shaft seals

Alternater/air conditioner drive belt

Spark plugs

Clean Injectors and replace their O-rings

Clean Air intake

Replace both valve cover gaskets

I will ask around and obtain quotes from few places in Canberra also.

Edited by K8Canb

Looks like you're getting the good ol' 200k service :)

Vientas are much harder in regards to changing the timing belt in comarison to the 4 cylinder version. If you're gonna do this, you might wanna see if you can get the mechanic to source OEM parts from the local Toyota dealer. There are things like the spark plugs and leads as well as the water pump that I would ONLY use OEM gear as much others are normally inferior compared to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were looking down around 700-800 bucks for the lot to be done. At the end of the day, it comes down to how good the mechanic is, because the parts are normally the same price in my experience. I'll be due my 200k service in the next year so I'm gonna be doing everything with OEM parts.

If you were to get this done at Toyota or someone reputable, this could cost well over 1k I reckon.

Edited by Whip Cracker

Looks like you're getting the good ol' 200k service :)

Vientas are much harder in regards to changing the timing belt in comarison to the 4 cylinder version. If you're gonna do this, you might wanna see if you can get the mechanic to source OEM parts from the local Toyota dealer. There are things like the spark plugs and leads as well as the water pump that I would ONLY use OEM gear as much others are normally inferior compared to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were looking down around 700-800 bucks for the lot to be done. At the end of the day, it comes down to how good the mechanic is, because the parts are normally the same price in my experience. I'll be due my 200k service in the next year so I'm gonna be doing everything with OEM parts.

If you were to get this done at Toyota or someone reputable, this could cost well over 1k I reckon.

Thanks for your reply, I revised my list of service as onder and sent it to Lubemobile and couple of few local workshops.

I would like you to quote for supply and fit following new parts:

1. Timing Belt

2. Idealer pulley and bearing

3. Cam shaft, Oil pump and Crank Shaft Seals

4. Water Pump

5. Alternator/Air conditioner drive belt

6. Spark plugs - Platinum tipped, preferably Nippon Denso make

7. Service Injectors and replace their O-rings

8. Clean and service Air intake

9. Replace both (front and rear) valve cover gaskets

10. Front lower left and right control arms - these can be re-bushed exchange parts (wheel alignment is required).

11. Pressure Test Cooling System; Flush and replace radiator coolant.

12. Flush and replace auto-transmission fluid (DEXTRON III)

13. Flush and replace differential fluid (DEXTRON III)

14. Flush and replace power steering pump fluid (DEXTRON III)

15. Flush and replace brake fluid

I promptly got the quote from Lubemobile $2751.15 inclusive of GST.

The Sydney City Toyota have quoted around $1400 for parts abnd labour for item 1 to 7 only. I did not send them the reviced list (adding item 8 to 15).

My car has given me a very good service and I would like to keep it for few more years, the present cost of my car may be around $3000 to $3500. I am thinking about new shocks in the near future. Now spending something like $2751 (for items 1 to 15) may or may not be a good idea.

I am also not feeling confident about Lubemobile, has anyone got experience with them for getting major repair jobs done?

Anyone has experience with NRMA Car service? Toyota dealers will have all the required special tools and factory trained mechanics, although they may charge more they do peoper jobs.

What are your thoughts?

K8Canb

A mechanic is a mechanic at the end of the day. Just because they work for Toyota, doesn't mean your car's gonna get a better job done on it. I know some Toyota shops that have some awesome mechs in there, and others that seem to be run by monkeys. They're only human at the end of the day.

I would be looking for 2500-3k for your stuff there. Radiator coolant itself costs 40 bucks, plus labour... 100 bucks just for that.

I'm guessing you have a Manual, being that you wanna change the diff oil? Didn't know about Autos and diffs... where you getting this info from? If you're getting a tranny flush for an Auto, you'll be looking down the barrel of at least $150-200 there anyway. That stuff ain't cheap. This is done in a "transmission service"... you don't just flush the fluid and not drop the pan and clean the oil out of there as well as the magnets.

If you're going to do suspension after all that, you might want to budget around 1k-1.5k on new springs and struts. If you keep the original springs, then it might only cost 800 or so.

You don't need to replace control arm bushings unless they're screwed... the suspension dude will tell you. Can be done at the same time...

A mechanic is a mechanic at the end of the day. Just because they work for Toyota, doesn't mean your car's gonna get a better job done on it. I know some Toyota shops that have some awesome mechs in there, and others that seem to be run by monkeys. They're only human at the end of the day.

I would be looking for 2500-3k for your stuff there. Radiator coolant itself costs 40 bucks, plus labour... 100 bucks just for that.

I'm guessing you have a Manual, being that you wanna change the diff oil? Didn't know about Autos and diffs... where you getting this info from? If you're getting a tranny flush for an Auto, you'll be looking down the barrel of at least $150-200 there anyway. That stuff ain't cheap. This is done in a "transmission service"... you don't just flush the fluid and not drop the pan and clean the oil out of there as well as the magnets.

If you're going to do suspension after all that, you might want to budget around 1k-1.5k on new springs and struts. If you keep the original springs, then it might only cost 800 or so.

You don't need to replace control arm bushings unless they're screwed... the suspension dude will tell you. Can be done at the same time...

I recently got my car inspected by NRMA and they told me about control arm bushes, the car drives well and I do not hear any noise from the suspension.

My car is automatic and the oil is same new colour after replacing 30 months back.

My main concern is I hate some apprentice at Toyota working on my car.

As Sydney City Toyota is owned and run by Toyota Australia, I thought that they should set an wxample to other dealers.

So far I have not received any more quotes - perhaps people busy for the Melbourne Cup!

K8Canb

Edited by K8Canb

Hi,

As a guide I recently had a private mechanic go over my 94 V6 Vienta to get rid of all the oil leaks. It cost $860 for

- remove and replace air plenum, induction manifold, valve covers, plastic timing belt cover, distributor

- replace with Toyota parts valve cover gaskets, air and induction manifold gaskets, driver's side crank and all camshaft end seals, distributor shaft o ring, red coolant, clean engine

Adding a few other things in your case I would estimate about $1000. I would not go near a dealer.

The front struts are a simple job in the Vienta, although strut costs vary. I'd say about $500 total.

The mechanic has a Camry himself and was also doing another one of our model type for oil leaks as well!! I asked him to assess my water pump and timing belt and he reported they were in good condition, so he was honest enough. I recommend him.

Chris (owner) at Premier Car Repairs, 9 Roberts Lane Hurstville Sydney (I have no other connection with them). He will quote you readily enough.

Cheers

Edited by GeoffW1

i got a timing belt kit which included belt, tensioners, cam gaskets, drive shaft gasket aswell as new waterpump for $310 trade price

then paid a mate of mine to do install it for $250 just to give you an idea

i did the valve covers myself. i think the cost for gasket and bolt gaskets was like $50 each side

the front one is ***** easy to do. the rear one requires some time and patience as you have to remove the intake plenum and wiggle the cover around to get it to lift off.

Edited by tomee

i got a timing belt kit which included belt, tensioners, cam gaskets, drive shaft gasket aswell as new waterpump for $310 trade price

then paid a mate of mine to do install it for $250 just to give you an idea

i did the valve covers myself. i think the cost for gasket and bolt gaskets was like $50 each side

the front one is ***** easy to do. the rear one requires some time and patience as you have to remove the intake plenum and wiggle the cover around to get it to lift off.

Thanks fore the reply Tomee, but I don't have any mates who are in car repairs. I will have to depend on the Toyota dealers or some private workshops. I am also considering NRMA car repairs, being NRMA they should not ripoff!

K8Canb

in sydney?

I can help :)

I live in Canberra but sometimes come to Sydney.

Where are you in Sydney? Do you work for Totota or you are just an independent person?

I was told that to do the work one needs some special tools and everyone may not have access to those.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, maybe a bit off topic but I'm looking to do the timing belt as well.

The car has 160,000 kms (I don't drive it) and has not had the timing belt done before.

Now in the workshop manual it says if you are doing A - type services (which is for a car that is driven regularly) and not B - type services (car is driven more), that it is not mandatory for the timing belt to be changed at any km/time interval - only to inspect it ...

Obviously to play it safe, you should change at say every 100,000 kms ... The car is 13 years old with 160,000 kms on it.

Should I change it at the next service ?

Edit:

Just doing some reading now on the interference and non-interference engines now ....

Edit:

FYI Pg 22 non interference

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_co...folder=brochure

Edited by Les

Hey guys, maybe a bit off topic but I'm looking to do the timing belt as well.

The car has 160,000 kms (I don't drive it) and has not had the timing belt done before.

Now in the workshop manual it says if you are doing A - type services (which is for a car that is driven regularly) and not B - type services (car is driven more), that it is not mandatory for the timing belt to be changed at any km/time interval - only to inspect it ...

Obviously to play it safe, you should change at say every 100,000 kms ... The car is 13 years old with 160,000 kms on it.

Should I change it at the next service ?

Edit:

Just doing some reading now on the interference and non-interference engines now ....

Edit:

FYI Pg 22 non interference

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_co...folder=brochure

regardless, you should change the belt after 100,000kms...

Yeah dude, if it's a 3VZ or a 1MZ engine, normally you can change them out at 150k and the likes, but you'd be pushing it.

I'm not 100% sure if these are non-interference engines or not. The 5SFE is, meaning that if the belt snapped, the car would stop, and not cause any engine damage.