varex muffler question

sikwitit

hello everyone next year the camry is going to get some serious work done to it suspension full exhorst system ypipes and interior redone and other bits and pieces aka tail lights headlights brakes etc

my question is i have had a cannon on the car b4 and it was quite loud and since im getting a full 2 1/4 system from castle hill mufflers its going to be loud with a cannon on it have seen on dvds and internet the varex muffler which has a butterfly valve in it that reduces noise of the car i want to know if anybody has done this and does it make a big difference in noise dont want to cause anymore problems with the nabours due to how loud the car is?

any information is greatly appreaciated

sean

Edited by sikwitit

the butterfly valve on the varex can be opened fully or semi or totally closed

when it is fully or semi open u can hear the obvious difference in loudness but once it is closed it is totally silent so if u have a varex u will not need to worry about ur nabours as u can just close the butterfly valve all the way before u go home and have it fully open or semi again when you feel like goin for a spirited drive u can just open it all the way

so varex gives u the best of both worlds

i had one on my cam for a very short period before my brother offered to buy it from me, was around $500 installed and was f**k off loud when it was open, and quieter than stock closed. Would probably sound better on a V6 than a 4 banger though

i had one on my cam for a very short period before my brother offered to buy it from me, was around $500 installed and was f**k off loud when it was open, and quieter than stock closed. Would probably sound better on a V6 than a 4 banger though

i disagree.....know of 4 sportivos that have had / still hive them on including myself and best mod i had done after rear sway.

on full open was loud.....not overbearing and not droany....on mid it was in betweem loudness and on closed yes quiter than stock which was brilliant.

each to there own, i chose it as i like a nice sounding exhasut not but also have clients, family, fiancee and the occasional headache where the last thing i want is noise.

Dont get me wrong i liked it, but i got offered more than what i paid for it minus install :P and i like my current exhaust better, but the 3VZ's sound better than the 5SFE with a cannon, regardless. I have no idea how they sound on a Corolla ;)

it doesnt work like that as such.

basically when closed there is a small hole maybe 20c piece size or more that the exhasut gas goes into, it then goes back and forth within the chamber of the muffler then out the end, for example if you have a twin tip muffler open it is s straight through, when close one of the

"tips" is full closed off and only one functions.

done this way it is still safe to run "closed" even with turbo'd cars etc as it doesnt actually block the exhaust off as such.

as for what it limits it down to im not too sure

it doesnt work like that as such.

basically when closed there is a small hole maybe 20c piece size or more that the exhasut gas goes into, it then goes back and forth within the chamber of the muffler then out the end, for example if you have a twin tip muffler open it is s straight through, when close one of the

"tips" is full closed off and only one functions.

done this way it is still safe to run "closed" even with turbo'd cars etc as it doesnt actually block the exhaust off as such.

as for what it limits it down to im not too sure

A 20c piece is only 1" or so! Do you mean to tell me that in a single tip Varex, when the valve is closed it only has ONE of these bypass holes into the muffler chamber? :o I got the impression in the video on the website that there are 3 [even though they only show one].

Gav.

Edited by chicaboo

there prob is three.....im not 100% sure just know it worked well when i had my stivo etc and yeah your prob right there may be 3 of the holes.....im just going by the vid on net of the stivo getting one fitted through Xforce i think it shows one hole in that vid ?

I had a chat to an exhaust shop about these recently... he told me to steer clear from them. Apparently Varex are always going back and forth for warranty.

Interesting to see that the cabling that opens the butterfly clip can handle very hot and very cold temps from the exhaust all the time?

like i said i know of atelast a handful of ppl with varexs and all have had no problems.....one thing i have learnt is dont always listen to what ppl say, form your own opinion and do what you want to do, after all its your car and your decision.

PS - some exhaust shops / ppl just may not like varex / xforce and their info can be bias, if you have any concerns prior to purchase ring xforce mention your concerns, ask about stability of cable on butterfly etc they should be able to shed some light for you

thanks everyone that put there oppions on the varex up from what it sounds like it is a worth while mod which will help keep me out of the bad books with my nabours so will be investing in one of these to put on the exhorst system.

thanks again

sean

good work mate, they are a bit more expensive than a normal muffler but for piece of mind they are quiet good i believe.....you will get the odd person bagging them out and saying "get a real tuned exhasut that is legal under the db level" but they can still be loud and annoying for passengers and neighbours, with the varex you can be quieter than stock, also very good if you ever carry clients around in your vehicle

Interesting to see that the cabling that opens the butterfly clip can handle very hot and very cold temps from the exhaust all the time?

It comes with some insulation around the wires that connect to the motor itself, but I also put some cable loom around it as well to be on the safe side. I also tied the cables in a way that they sit as far from the muffler body as possible. Haven't had any issues with it.

good work mate, they are a bit more expensive than a normal muffler but for piece of mind they are quiet good i believe.....you will get the odd person bagging them out and saying "get a real tuned exhasut that is legal under the db level" but they can still be loud and annoying for passengers and neighbours, with the varex you can be quieter than stock, also very good if you ever carry clients around in your vehicle

well this wont be happening till jan feb next year want to get rego and greenslip done first cause thats due in a couple of weeks and with the full system and the varex it will cost around 1000-1100. will post up pics and video of it when its done so everyone car see how it works and how it sounds.

sean