Auto gearbox noise

FMAN

Hi,

I have a strange noise that has started on my 07 ATX Aurion. With the car warm, if you drive at about 50kph in Drive and then take you foot off the accelerator. As the car slows below about 45kph there is a whistling sound like a washing machine slowing down after its spin cycle. The noise stops when the box changes from 4th to 3rd gear. If you select 3rd gear this doesn’t happen.

The noise started about 2 months ago and is getting louder. It is currently not very loud and can only be heard with the windows open and be driving past a reflective surface like parked cars.

If this a standard noise that I haven’t noticed before or the start of a bigger problem?

Thanks

Neil

Edited by FMAN

I haven't heard of that one before.

If you are really concerned I would suggest you have a visit to the service department. Your car should still be under warranty.

While you are there get your 2GR-FE Oil Line replaced under recall.

It’s just been to the dealer for the Oil line and dash clips. They didn't know what the noise was and were going to ask Toyota, but then they said they hadn't come across the inner track rod issue either. It took about 2 months to get the intermediate shaft and rack replaced.

I suppose the main question is does anybody else’s car make this noise because the dealer will probably come back and try to tell me it’s normal just like the rack!

Thanks

Neil

I suppose the main question is does anybody else’s car make this noise because the dealer will probably come back and try to tell me it’s normal just like the rack!

Nah mate. After 88,000km of driving, my Aurion does not produce such a noise. It does have this first gear whine though (kinda like a light supercharger whine), but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything. Probably just the gear ratio.

While you are there get your 2GR-FE Oil Line replaced under recall.

This was actually issued as a recall now? Last I heard it was just a "repair when it happens" type replacement...

As far as I am aware it isnt a recall yet, but your service department should be well aware of the problem and replace it as a 'customer awareness' program.